Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild birds need our help!

Options
  • 09-01-2010 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

I know this is probably preaching to the converted but I thought I'd put it out there anyway just in case. Everyone needs to leave fresh water and food out for the wild birds until the ground thaws out a bit. Any old bread weith some oil thrown on it (in smaller bits so some of the small birds have a chance to get at it), seeds, oats, raisins, dried fruit almost anything will do.
    Our cat has killed 2 blackbirds today (her first 2 birds she ever caught and she's getting a whooping big bell from the pet shop tomorrow), my paretns sheep dog took down a redwing today and their cat has also caught 3 birds in the last 2 days (despite having a bit brass bell my mum brought back from morocca hanging off her neck!) and there are dead birds scattered along the roadsides from being hit by cars. Ther're obviously not coping with the cold snap at this stage and it's making the have to resort to dangerous methods to feed (like feeding from the soil along the roadside) so we all need to look out for them, they go unoticed so easily.

Advertisement