Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

University programmes... have any experience?

Options
  • 09-01-2010 2:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

I like Boards.ie. I hope the Philosophy folks here don't mind me poking my head in for some information.

Does anyone on the board have any experience with the UCC, UCD, Trinity, NUIG or NUIM philosophy courses?

What are the programs like? What are any comparative differences?

I am not familiar with the reputations of any of the programmes, leanings, affiliations, focuses...

Any advice and information welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Joycey

nearly wrote: »
    I like Boards.ie. I hope the Philosophy folks here don't mind me poking my head in for some information.

Does anyone on the board have any experience with the UCC, UCD, Trinity, NUIG or NUIM philosophy courses?

What are the programs like? What are any comparative differences?

I am not familiar with the reputations of any of the programmes, leanings, affiliations, focuses...

Any advice and information welcome.

I did an undergrad degree in UCC, just finished last year. They have a really good department there, mostly pretty young. I lean more towards continental philosophy (as opposed to analytic, like philosophy of mind), and so took more classes of that than anything else. Id recommend it if thats the way you think you may be leaning or you dont know yet which areas your more interested in. The one thing I would say is that if you intend to do political philosophy they have an absolutely clueless woman working there, not only does she have no clue about the material she's supposed to know about, but she cant even form a coherent argument, and Im not exaggerating, everyone thought she was useless.

I asked about doing a masters possibly in Dublin and a couple of lecturers recommended UCD to me, saying it has the best philosophy department in Dublin. Cork's is good though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I'm in the second year of philosophy at NUI Maynooth at the minute, I'm doing it with another subject, but it's been very good so far for dealing with different aspects of philosophy.

There is a strong emphasis on the Philosophy of Religion and Moral Philosophy, but there are also modules in Epistemology, Logic, Philosophical Anthropology, Greek philosophy and more.

Check out this link for more info.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement