Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Jobs

Options
  • 09-01-2010 2:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    starting college next year and looking for
    info from other students, what type of
    part time employment are you in? how many hours
    do you work? thanks in advance:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Moved from Student Finances as per OP's request.

Feel free to move if it is not suited to LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

What i did was work all the hours i could get during the summer, and then worked all over Christmas and plan on going back again easter/summer. (i waistress)

I have friends who go home every weekend and work saturday and a half day sunday then travel back to college sunday evening.

i would say clothes shops would be good enough, you could work weekends and get uniform discount;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

thank you. What is the minimum/maximum
    hours worked in order to keep up with the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

ehh.. that would depend on your course!
    i cant imagine working saturday and sunday effecting your course much, but you do be wrecked

thanks what type of jobs do students usually
    get? friends have tried babysitting retail etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

miss5 wrote: »
    thanks what type of jobs do students usually
    get? friends have tried babysitting retail etc

From experience, none.

Especially during term time.

really is it very difficult?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

I've noticed that mostly the ones who don't study, come in enough, etc, are the ones who work, because they are tired, or have to work druing class time, or have to go straight from college to work!

neil_18_ wrote: »
    I've noticed that mostly the ones who don't study, come in enough, etc, are the ones who work, because they are tired, or have to work druing class time, or have to go straight from college to work!
    weekend work would be the obvious choice.
    how many hours do you think would be suitable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭smileygirlloves

quote=miss5;63888220]Hi there,
    do you work? thanks in advance:rolleyes:[/quote]

hey:D

well i work in a clothes shop 1 weekend day each week for around 8hrs. Thats as much work as I could do because i am doing a engineering course which is like 25 plus hours a week. So i need 1 day to catch up on sleep :)

• Advertisement

do students get paid double time for sundays etc
    or is it a standard wage, depending on employer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Depends on the employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Hi there,
    do you work? thanks in advance:rolleyes:
    Dyou mind if I ask, what course you plan to do? I found that I had neither the time nor energy to have a part time job, ruining all the lovely plans I had made last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

neil_18_ wrote: »

I'd say by and large, that's bollox. People make excuses for being lazy.
    do students get paid double time for sundays etc
    or is it a standard wage, depending on employer

Very few jobs pay double on a Sunday, I only work Sundays in one of my jobs and I do not get paid double!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭smartarse2007

hi retail is prob your best bet

but keep in my it is the norm for part time employees to have to work at least 1 week night per week

and of course sat / sunday or both

but saying that i only work 10hours a week which i find is just enough to have a bit o cash n still not to much to effect college that much

last yr i worked 20hours per week and well i failed one of my exmas because of it and it effect my grades majorly otherwise

what i would advise you to do is try get a loan from the bank seriously this way ya can chill have fun in college not be able to head out cause of work or not go on a trip etc n being able to concentrate on your course n not your job....honestly thats what i would do

only reason i havent done it is cause i have to save the loan for next yr as i have to study abroad

Jammyc wrote: »
    Dyou mind if I ask, what course you plan to do? I found that I had neither the time nor energy to have a part time job, ruining all the lovely plans I had made last year.
    not entirely sure but from my top choices would
    be about 20-25 hours of lectures a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭smartarse2007

in 1st yr i think i had 16 hours of lectures and still found that was too much wit work especially, emmm but that depends on each college

as dit for instance seem to get off pretty early and dont have many large gaps lik 2hours for DIT is a biiiiig gap---oh n ur more likely to get 1 day off at least a week here as in only 4 days of lectures

were as in trinity i could have gaps of up to 5 hours and even had 2 days a week which i finished at 7 at night

so college will make a big difference too

any other opinions/advice on student jobs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 fuNk90

What i did was work all the hours i could get during the summer, and then worked all over Christmas and plan on going back again easter/summer. (i waistress)

I have friends who go home every weekend and work saturday and a half day sunday then travel back to college sunday evening.

i would say clothes shops would be good enough, you could work weekends and get uniform discount;)
    believe me its not. im in college now did my leaving last year and ive been working in a clothes shop for the past 2 and a half years, you really dont want a job during 6th year and especially near the leaving. my LC started on a wed and finished the following wed, i had to work that fri sat and sunday :cool:

Advertisement