Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowence, why do most landlords not accept it?

Options
  • 09-01-2010 3:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭

I have two questions:

1. what is rent allowence? Is it where you get money to help pay for your rent as you are on the dole, or is it where you go to the revenue.ie site and enter in the pps number of your landlord to claim back the tax?

2. why do some landlords not allow it? I know of a few developers who own whole apartment blocks who wont accept it. if their business is renting accomodation, shoudnt they be obligated to accept it?

3. assuming you get the pps number of the landlord and you enter it in revenue.ie, and get your tax back. what can your landlord do to you? Can you be evicted?

4. Im thinking i have an incorrect understanding of the terms mentioned previously. I just want to be sure that i can claim my tax back on any rent paid. Does the landlord have to give me their pps number?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

fret_wimp wrote: »
    I have two questions:

1. what is rent allowence? Is it where you get money to help pay for your rent as you are on the dole, or is it where you go to the revenue.ie site and enter in the pps number of your landlord to claim back the tax

Some light reading
    2. why do some landlords not allow it? I know of a few developers who own whole apartment blocks who wont accept it. if their business is renting accomodation, shoudnt they be obligated to accept it?

Renting a property is always risky, you are giving your property to strangers effectively so some landlords try to vet who lives in their properties as much as possible (references etc). The perception is that tenants on rent allowance can be a higher risk to the property...this is often a false perception. The biggest contradiction is that the land land is guaranteed the rent every month as they are paid by the government.
    3. assuming you get the pps number of the landlord and you enter it in revenue.ie, and get your tax back. what can your landlord do to you? Can you be evicted?

I think you are referring to Rent Relief here, this is different to the above, if you are working and paying tax then you are eligible to claim back rent relief which is usually a % of your annual rent.
    4. Im thinking i have an incorrect understanding of the terms mentioned previously. I just want to be sure that i can claim my tax back on any rent paid. Does the landlord have to give me their pps number?

Yes you may have mixed up rent allowance and rent relief. You do not need your landlords PPS number as far as I'm aware, I know it's on the rent relief form but I do believe that you can claim without it.

I am open to correction on any one of my points.

I have two questions:

p.s. you actually asked 4 questions :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

With regard of rent allowance- it used to be the case that the payment was made directly to the landlord- whereas now it can be made to the tenant instead. Further- its always the same amount on a monthly basis, and is subject to unilateral change (as per the reduction announced in January)- without any discussion whatsoever. Its so much less hassle to get a regular tenant to sign a lease which they can be legally held to....... There were some tenants who abused the rent-allowance scheme who really took the biscuit and gave the entire scheme a bad name- however you will always have a few bad apples everywhere......

Rent-relief is a tax allowance against your taxable income on the gross rent paid in a tax year. It comes to about a total of EUR260.

If your landlord was not tax compliant (which would be stupidity on their part) and a tenant claimed a relief from the Revenue Commissioners- the landlord would be caught (rather quickly given the current resources being thrown at the sector). The landlord could then use any of the break clauses in the lease or the Residential Tenancies Act to evict the tenant, if they so choose- which would also be stupid- given the amount of vacant property nationwide.

In short- it pays both tenants and landlords- to keep their dealings legal, above board, and to have a good professional relationship between them.

There are far too many amateur landlords in the country- who in many cases are genuinely unaware of their obligations and rights- but there are also now significant numbers of tenants willing to destroy property and/or not pay rent as and when specified.

Once both tenants and landlords are reasonable and professional towards each other- harmony reigns. Unfortunately harmony in the letting market does not seem to be the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

smccarrick wrote: »
    Rent-relief is a tax allowance against your taxable income on the gross rent paid in a tax year. It comes to about a total of EUR260.

Is that changed this year? I got a lot more than that last year.

20% of a max of 2k is 400, which was what I got back

Advertisement