Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSF4 Matchup Theories, Secondary Ultras & Fun Talk

Options
  • 09-01-2010 4:45am
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I originally made a Balrog specific discussion on SRK hoping to make a fun topic about how he may fare against the cast with their respective (yet non-concrete and 'likely to be changed' tweaks) in a bid to make a fun discussion about the character and matchups/tiers in general and how they could change - In addition, thumbs up to Azza for that neat compilation of 'tweaks' compiled from SRK/Chat as I sorta pilfered that for reference along the way so it needs mentioning ;)

Sadly they decided to lock countless SSF4 discussions on the Forum and told people to bugger off to the SSF4 Forums so I figure it's pointless trying to have such a lengthy discussion there considering the thread they're trying to get us to use is a non-specific SSF4 discussion about everything and anything, so I thought it'd be nice to open-end it and port it over here as a character specific discussion for everyone.

The only thing that's stopping me from opting to try and discuss this fun topic in our own current SSF4 Discussion thread is that it's a big open can of worms in itself and it'd be hard to discuss character specific nitty gritty details when there are going to be discussions all around regarding EVERYTHING in SSF4, non specific, so I'm hoping the Mods don't decide to merge this with the SSF4 Thread but if they choose to do so I'll understand (But would prefer it was just flat out deleted rather than merged) - Either way, think of this as a fun 'theory' thread to discuss how the little we know (of which, realistically, isn't much and is also very likely to change in the lab as it's a beta package) will effect current tier lists or matchups.

Example, we know Balrog has a Command Grab secondary Ultra whilst Zangief now has an AA Secondary Ultra (So far) - Considering Balrog v Zangief in todays regular SF4 often requires a lot of Jumping Fierce from Balrog, an AA Ultra can be a scary prospect from the big bad Russian - In addition, try to image a Zangief finally getting in on a Balrog and going for the win, for Mother Russia (If they decided to stick with Ultra 1), only to get a Counter-Command Grab Dirty Bull (Assuming either/or has invulnerability frames that can make Zangiefs whiff - Or heck, vice versa it) and you see what I mean. Optional Ultras open an interesting slant in that Character X vs Character Y may very well be a completely different experience when either/or character opts for A or B Ultra.

Again, no changes are concrete by any stretch so it's all fun and theory right now - We, realistically, can only assume or guess these things in SSF4's current state, but it could very well lead to a fun discussion that maybe could be later moulded into an actual matchup thread when the game hits the shelves.

Either way, let's keep this very character/matchup specific and leave the general SSF4 Discussion to it's thread.

However, if the Mods deem this inappropriate or shouldn't have it's own thread, then it'd be best to just delete this entirely as opposed to merge it - Either way, I think it could be a fun and specific point of discussion.

I'll leave it in your capable hands and see how it fares when I get back, tommorow.

For some reason I feel very scared of Adon as Boxer - He seems to have a lot of horizontal reach and pushing power at little recovery cost which may be a tricky battle even for Balrog and his great footsies game, for example.

Which changes scare you, beit generally or matchup wise... Do any of the new characters even look like a remote threat towards your choice of main in SSF4 - Which one do you think is going to be a complete bastard to beat, or which ones do you think are just going to become so much easier to stomp on?

Again, it's all fun and theory so keep that in mind - We can never even begin to guess, realistically, until we get a concrete nod from Capcom.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

AFAIK Abel's COD is now safe. If this is true, it makes it a really good poke instead of a decent combo finisher. :) And moves EX COD into a deadly strike.

Couple with Ultra II (U2) having armour, and basically it stops DreddyZangief's cr.Jab/Lariat keep-away game.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Boxer only has 2 really bad matches Gief and Sagat. From what we know so far given the changes we know to Gief and Sagat it seems the Gief match is looking no better but potentially worse and they Sagat match given the damage and health nerfs looks better for Balrog.

Not really enough info to draw any conclusons.

Cammy might get harder for Balrog as its seems her counter ultra is really good at dealing with rush punches.

No idea what Bison and Balrog will be like. Depends on how fast Bisons new ultra is It gives Bison the most important thing he is is missing a high damaging mistake punisher. Bisons new ultra seems like it could really make life tough for the shoto's in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Yeah srk are like that they don't generally like new threads on 'fun discussion' and if you joined recently then your an 09er and automatically a scumbag in their eyes.

In otherwords its full of americans who think they're 'gangsta' :rolleyes:

I joined in 08 though so I'm one of the cool people :p

I'd recommend the capcomunity forums for such a thread rope.

Anyway yeah bison scares me even more now looking at those changes. Damn you azza, you bribed capcom with bison dollers didnt you? Everyone knows bison needed to be raped with a nerf stick. Head stomp shouldnt hit you if you're above him ffs :p Instead they gave the nerf to fei long. Poor poor fei long, what did he ever do to anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

RopeDrink wrote: »
    I wonder will poor Ter' still get poked at for his Sagat come SSF4 or will we be throwing those comments someone elses way depending on characters :P

Nah, Terry will still get stick regardless (just for being him) (jk dude!)

But yeah, it will be interesting to see who will get the stick now when SSFIV comes out!

Ramza wrote:
    But yeah, it will be interesting to see who will get the stick now when SSFIV comes out!
    I vote Guile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I vote Zangief, because no-one likes Zangief.
    Ain't that right, guys?

HAHAHA!

f6d68d72cb9b67f930492fe4968ef323.jpg

Ropedrink wrote:
    so such a change may make it interesting as I wager it'd be hard for a Gief to AA grab Boxer with Ultra II unless, of course, they manage a Lariat Trade/Ultra

Gief can trade anti air lariat into ultra 2 and in the build of SSF IV demonstrated at CES he can now fadc his lariat into ultra.

In short Balrog like most of the cast would be utterly boned.

However I'm sure if Capcom decide to give him that then his ultra must surely do no damage or give him significant nerfs else where. It simple boggles the mind that they would even consider buffing that move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

I just hope Chun Li has a better spinning bird kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Azza wrote: »
    Gief can trade anti air lariat into ultra 2 and in the build of SSF IV demonstrated at CES he can now fadc his lariat into ultra.

In short Balrog like most of the cast would be utterly boned.

However I'm sure if Capcom decide to give him that then his ultra must surely do no damage or give him significant nerfs else where. It simple boggles the mind that they would even consider buffing that move.

The only time Balrog should be jumping against Gief is doing jump back fierce at close range which already beats lariat, so I don't know how Balrog would be utterly boned because of that ultra.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    The only time Balrog should be jumping against Gief is doing jump back fierce at close range which already beats lariat, so I don't know how Balrog would be utterly boned because of that ultra.

Guile is. The air throw is a useful keep away. Cr FP can be risky with the splash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

RopeDrink wrote: »
    I wonder will poor Ter' still get poked at for his Sagat come SSF4 or will we be throwing those comments someone elses way depending on characters :P

That's assuming i stay with sagat :pac:
    I may go where the wind blows (read: where the tier goes)

Advertisement