Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Saturday 9th January 2010 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Started here again in Kilkenny/Tipp border. Jesus, the poor outdoor animals, not just the cattle and abandoned horses, but there are dogs living outdoors all over this country.

Saw a load in high heels and miniskirts in -10 last night.

sunshine here, no sign of cloud yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Started here again in Kilkenny/Tipp border. Jesus, the poor outdoor animals, not just the cattle and abandoned horses, but there are dogs living outdoors all over this country.

Im giving the birds as much as i can, changing the water that keeps freezing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

mickger wrote: »
    Check out the forecasts section. He posted his forecast early this morning. Just to warn you sleet is mentioned and even rain :eek:

Thanks for that. Still only finding my way around this, but got it.

Would consider that reasonably optimistic. I feel he is gradually edging the right direction now. I think I'll choose his forecast for tomorrow, and the BBC warning of Heavy Snow for the Dublin region for Weds.

If we don't get it this time, I'm out of the country. I couldn't take another 'nearly big one'.

Need some activity on Irish sea now. Would love to see another blast tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Besides MT do any of the other experts here believe that cork might not be so lucky and may only come out with sleet/rain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I couldn't agree more, and the wild animals and particularly small birds will be decimated if this continues much longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

ch750536 wrote: »
    Saw a load in high heels and miniskirts in -10 last night.

sunshine here, no sign of cloud yet.

Like the way you quoted the post about animals living outside before you wrote this.

Have been wondering about how my three cats keep cosy out there when it's -3. They seem to be doing just fine though, must go and feed them now.
    Going to build a cat proof bird table today too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Poor old man.

Our family who work with the homeless in Canada; find "their people"frozen to death every winter.... Curled up on the ground without even a blanket.

You never get used to it.
    dfbemt wrote: »
    Plus an elderly man found dead under a bush in his back garden in Wexford - frozen

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/widower-found-dead-in-frozen-back-garden-2006232.html

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Mid day temp of -9 degrees here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Snowing again here in kells...

That is too close for comfort...:rolleyes:
    smashey wrote: »
    Snowing here now in Strabane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Snowing very heavily now here in Thurles : 11.50hrs.
    Ominously there is nothing but grey sky all round as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭knoximus

Still at it on & off. Snowman doin well & the birds love him.

"get ta feck birds":p

4258489553_4d197986b6.jpg

Usually the feed pipe; a kettle full of boiling water will sort it.,, and covering with a thick old sack etc.
    -12C overnight here - risen now to -8C, mostly clear skies still, no water and no gas... dug out old electric kettle for emergency cup of tea, now about to try and thaw the gas bottle and lag it...

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

snaps wrote: »
    Im giving the birds as much as i can, changing the water that keeps freezing.

mix a teaspoon or two of sugar through it. This helps to stop it freezing solid

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nicebutdim

Heavy snow in North Dublin, covering alot of the roads...

There are 2 JCB's on the M50 clearing the lanes of snow

Not sure whats happening but we in Rush seem to have a micro climate going here.....we've had no snow since the cold snap started, bits of sleet and here and there lots of ice but no snow

I suppose its a blessing but the kids are feeling cheated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

No snow in Waterford city yet. Cloudy and freezing but thats about it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

leahyl wrote: »
    Besides MT do any of the other experts here believe that cork might not be so lucky and may only come out with sleet/rain?

Cork is more poised than anywhere. Heavy snow from lunchtime tomor for 24hrs will close the city monday morning.
    It will go sleety from mon afternoon though as the slow thaw begins
    Flooding then the big risk wed/thurs

Have been feeding a neglected cat... But he is attacking mine now and has sprayed all over my coal stores...

Ungrateful moggie!

The stench of burning tom cat pee ...

If i ever catch him.. SNIP! SNIP!
    I couldn't agree more, and the wild animals and particularly small birds will be decimated if this continues much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Graces7 wrote: »
    Have been feeding a neglected cat... But he is attacking mine now and has sprayed all over my coal stores...

Ungrateful moggie!

The stench of burning tom cat pee ...

If i ever catch him.. SNIP! SNIP!

We should lock you and George Galloway in a room !!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

nicebutdim wrote: »
    Not sure whats happening but we in Rush seem to have a micro climate going here.....we've had no snow since the cold snap started, bits of sleet and here and there lots of ice but no snow

I suppose its a blessing but the kids are feeling cheated

Yep We were just talking about that this morning. It seems it all missed us. I hear their was some snow do at the golf club. All the kids are down there making snowmen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Snowshoe Sam

Showers seemed to have moved away now, very little fell really in the end.

Sun splitting the st....., I mean snow, outside

Local supermarket car parks full of nothing but guys in jeeps and 4 x 4s yesterday waiting while their other halves (and friends and neighbours) emptied the shelves inside in preparation for snowmageddon. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

gone very dull over wexford now ................. im waiting:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Car thermo reading -6.0c currently. Not a bad noon temp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Interesting to see how my animals react, pony and cattle. They have 24 hr access to shed and they haven't gone near it for shelter. They are white in the morning with either snow or frost on them and temp down to -7C.

Granted it hasn't been near as cold with me as in other parts, but I did think they would go indoors especially because the grass is snow covered. They come in for food then go back out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Cork is more poised than anywhere. Heavy snow from lunchtime tomor for 24hrs will close the city monday morning.
    It will go sleety from mon afternoon though as the slow thaw begins
    Flooding then the big risk wed/thurs

Aw thanks januarysnowstor! Given me hope again! Was beginning to think it might be slipping away from us!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭token56

Its been snowing for 3 hours of more here in Portlaoise, not that heavy but a fairly nice stream of it. Must be a few nice cm of snow after falling.

Oh I love the snow so much

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

almost an extra inch on the ground here so got about 3 inchs of snowdepth now. Cant help feeling that it feels milder than of late and sun hasnt come out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Dublin Airport flights suspended until 14.00 at earliest.

Snow sprinkling again.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Thanks Graces7... thawed and lagged gas bottle... working on the water supply now though most likely it's an underground freeze.
    Bit worried as don't have enough for the horse as well as for us. And no snow to melt either. Ah - will solve it somehow.
    Just mucked out the stable to keep myself warm - frozen horse-poo is a doddle to shift :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Still snowing here, and the army's moving in :(
    The army will move into Co Leitrim today to help the County Council deal with the consequences of the extreme weather conditions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement