Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Saturday 9th January 2010 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

More snow here this morning. It won't be leaving anytime soon.

Regarding small birds, I throw out small bits of bread every morning for any bird passing by.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 willier

It's just starting to snow here outside Nenagh now. Nice steady light snow. Unbelievable frost here. -10 on the car display last night!!! Brrrr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Total white out in South Laois/TN/KK border area.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

starting to snow again in D15 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

sun is shining bright in greenogue now! the snow has covered the tracks of the van that where here this morning.

Ireland 4 seasons in a day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Snowshoe Sam

Mothman wrote: »
    Interesting to see how my animals react, pony and cattle. They have 24 hr access to shed and they haven't gone near it for shelter. They are white in the morning with either snow or frost on them and temp down to -7C.

Granted it hasn't been near as cold with me as in other parts, but I did think they would go indoors especially because the grass is snow covered. They come in for food then go back out again.

Same here, Mothman. We have a Shetland pony here who doesn't seem to use his shed at all.

We have led him into it several nights to try encourage him to stay there, but he just comes straight back out again! His rug must be warm enough for him, as it seems he spends most nights sleeping at bottom of field under trees....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭manonmir

Weather Forecast just now on RTE just called tomorrow a Rain/Sleet event for Dublin/East Coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

V Interesting forecast on RTE1.

Tonights temps range from -10 in West to +3 in East !!

Still forecasting snow for East spreading Westwards but weakening.

This is all changing by the hour.

Earlier reported thaw is def on. Snow on windscreen is now melting. Sun trying to come out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Looking at the radar lots of the country are going to get snow showers from that band, except Waterford City of course :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

It's changing that much its actually getting exciting. Never thought i'd say that about weather!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Clouds are not so dark here with plenty of breaks, just the usual lower mid level Sc's. One or 2 small fall streaks though which do look quite stunning over the frozen landscape. Always a chance a flurry or 2 will drift over as far as here but well scattered, if at all, I reckon.

Oh dont say that, Im in Galway too and I've been lurking here for 4 days now praying one of you will say that Galway is about to get an almighty dumping. It been such an emotional rollercoaster. I've barely seen a flake all winter and yet there has been such hope at times.... I dont think I can take much more of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

snow shower in north cork - light. the first snow of this cold spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Rediculious amounts of snow here now. My car is stuck, bah humbug.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

manonmir wrote: »
    Weather Forecast just now on RTE just called tomorrow a Rain/Sleet event for Dublin/East Coast.

I knew this would all end in tears :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭fits

so.. county carlow to naas today at 2, back tomorrow at noon. bad idea or absolutely awful idea? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

fits wrote: »
    so.. county carlow to naas today at 2, back tomorrow at noon. bad idea or absolutely awful idea? :D

I'd say closer to absolutely awful than bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Car thermo reading -6.0c currently. Not a bad noon temp.

My weather station reading -5.6c!

Bring food and blankets :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Supercell wrote: »

+1 - another pasting on the pasting on the pasting on the ice

Over good idea.
    Back at that time bad idea.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    Usually the feed pipe; a kettle full of boiling water will sort it.,, and covering with a thick old sack etc.

I used to have a gas regulator that froze, water freezes around it and prevents it from working correctly - it must be kept dry!

I found that the best solution is to place a bucket upsidedown over the bottle & the regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MB1380

Pic of a frozen lake in macroom i took this morning at around -5 deg. No snow yet but the clouds are moving in. Hopefully il be posting some snow pics this time tomorrow :D
    DSCF0010.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭fits

wow. hope you've plenty of food and the electricity keeps going for you. That sounds quite scary actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

MB1380 wrote: »
    Pic of a frozen lake in macroom i took this morning at around -5 deg. No snow yet but the clouds are moving in. Hopefully il be posting some snow pics this time tomorrow :D
    DSCF0010.jpg

yes drove by it yesterday, looked great. Fingers crossed for the snow out here in Lissarda.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

sun is shining :(

wow. hope you've plenty of food and the electricity keeps going for you. That sounds quite scary actually.

I'm grand thanks, as long as the electricity doesn't get cut. The car being stuck is a PITA though, but the roads are lethal after this mornings snow anyhow so probably for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Ha haa, was out last night so missed the Late Late show but I just watched it on iPlayer on RTE website - it's at around 44 minutes in if you wanna have a look :)

Beautiful big flakes falling here in Donegal over the wonderful Iceland we already have :D wasn't looking ;ike we were gonna get much but it's come down now alright :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭blast05

Snowing lightly in Athlone for last 45 minutes and getting a bit heavier now.
    Wasn't expecting that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Trotter wrote: »
    No snow in Waterford city yet. Cloudy and freezing but thats about it so far.

had light snow out here in Kill about 10 o'clock for an hour or so. As I type
    I see another few flakes dropping

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

I'm grand thanks, as long as the electricity doesn't get cut. The car being stuck is a PITA though, but the roads are lethal after this mornings snow anyhow so probably for the best.

SC over on the models forum they are suggesting a rain event tomo/monday.. What do you think ? We gonna get a major pasting or a flood?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement