Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Saturday 9th January 2010 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

manonmir wrote: »
    Weather Forecast just now on RTE just called tomorrow a Rain/Sleet event for Dublin/East Coast.

Awww does that mean we now wont get the big snow on Sunday / Monday - it wont stick if we get a pile of rain tomorrow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

+3 now in Dundalk the big thaw is on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Thaw in Waterford city now. Car reading +3 just now. I'll just fire up the barbie! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

jenzz wrote: »
    SC over on the models forum they are suggesting a rain event tomo/monday.. What do you think ? We gonna get a major pasting or a flood?

I'd have to go with rain /sleet in Dublin and Bray to be honest. Hopefully the same here but probably not.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No water here. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Snowing here again, not much chance of a thaw :(

Supercell wrote: »
    I'd have to go with rain /sleet in Dublin and Bray to be honest. Hopefully the same here but probably not.

Ah gutted, i was hoping for a big snow on sunday /monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Well it would be a change - snow everyday now since Tuesday @ 6pm....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Aoife9

Rodar08 wrote: »
    Ha haa, was out last night so missed the Late Late show but I just watched it on iPlayer on RTE website - it's at around 44 minutes in if you wanna have a look :)

Beautiful big flakes falling here in Donegal over the wonderful Iceland we already have :D wasn't looking ;ike we were gonna get much but it's come down now alright :)

Where in Donegal are you? I'm near the Glenties area and nothing here yet still sunny and bright!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

Stopped Snowing here now, a bit of blue sky above. Plenty of cloud around though!

So are ME downgrading this event for the next 2 days, or will be all go tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

very light snowfall just started in Athenry....

stopped again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Peter

A few flakes just starting to fall here now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Heyes wrote: »
    Awww does that mean we now wont get the big snow on Sunday / Monday - it wont stick if we get a pile of rain tomorrow :(

They're still calling snow as far as I can see....
    There will be precipitation at times over most parts of the country during SUNDAY NIGHT and MONDAY, and much or all of it will be sleet or snow - only along some southern coasts, if anywhere, might it turn to rain at times. The snow will be heavy enough in places to give 5 to 10 cm or so of further snowfall in some areas, with the southern half of the country most at risk. The north and northwest should stay dry for a while at least, but here too there probably will be some sleet or snow eventually during Monday or Monday night. LATER MONDAY or MONDAY NIGHT, however, the wintry precipitation will tend to die out and move away northwards, leaving most places dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭manonmir

Johnny1999 wrote: »
    Stopped Snowing here now, a bit of blue sky above. Plenty of cloud around though!

So are ME downgrading this event for the next 2 days, or will be all go tomorrow?

Inland areas have a much better chance. At this stage it looks game over for Dublin and coastal areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Bond-007 wrote: »
    No water here. :(

Again I ask you where is here ??????

Bad form from a mod.

Inland areas have a much better chance. At this stage it looks game over for Dublin and coastal areas.

what do u mean

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Just starting to snow in cork city now.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

Thats ashame it would be great to get a national snow event!! Still might happen!!:D

Heyes wrote: »
    what do u mean

it'll be too warm near the coast, so will probably fall as sleet or rain.

I hope not though.

it'll be too warm near the coast, so will probably fall as sleet or rain.

I hope not though.

Ok cool

Yeah me too, the thoughts of working from home on Monday is far more appealing than going in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Dewpoints have dropped quite quickly both here and at M2 and air temp is also dropping.
    M2 bouy 1200 3.7 Dp-3.1
    Ashford 1250 2.9 Dp-4.1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

dfbemt wrote: »
    Again I ask you where is here ??????

Bad form from a mod.

Its on her avatar!

I stand corrected, it always used to be, but its not now. I apologise

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Mothman wrote: »
    Dewpoints have dropped quite quickly both here and at M2 and air temp is also dropping.
    M2 bouy 1200 3.7 Dp-3.1
    Ashford 1250 2.9 Dp-4.1

Thanks for the Update Mothman - that's the arrival of the deep cold pooling taking place.

SA :)

I would go for a light sleet/snow start in dublin turning to rain/sleet in places like UCD and th city centre out to ranelagh but still snow sleet in Goatstown Dundrum and up to Ballinteer across to tallagh and similar.
    Changing eventually to rain sleet there aswell.
    Similar here.
    A gradual retreat of the snow to all but the highest ground by monday looks increasingly likely as and when the surface air advection from Britain becomes the warmer continental advection.

We'll see.
    I can be wrong.

As for today,the m2 buoy is now down to air 3.7c dp -3.1c

You'd want to be looking at the m5 buoy tomorrow when the south easterly gets going-currently there air 3.8c dp -2.1c

who would hazard a guess at any more showers bubbling up in the irish sea and hitting dublin today?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Slimity

Hi SA,

What's it looking like for East coast Sunday/Monday in your opinion?

Rain/Sleet or snow?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

RTE news bulletin in 30 minutes.

-7 here. time to break out the BBQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭snowfan

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Thanks for the Update Mothman - that's the arrival of the deep cold pooling taking place.

SA :)

Hi Snow Addict, at this stage with the arrival of the deep cold pool now taking place, would you be reasonably confident that the precipiation falling in Dublin tomorrow will be snow?

Would be good to get one final hurrah before a possible thaw kicks in :)

Also would save ME having egg on their face as they have called snow for the weekend (I am putting my faith in them as they have made correct calls for about 90% of the time during this cold spell).

SnowFan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 GP800

grand canal dock in Dublin is like an ice-rink right now, very surreal!
    10cm of snow for tomorrow they say

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

SnowAddict when will you be giving your next update on what will be happening ?

At the moment as has been said , you can start to see a gradual breakdown.

Just looking at Dew points you can start to see a slight increase:

Sunday 12pm
    101663.png

Sunday 12am
    101665.png

Monday 12pm
    101666.png

Snow Risk Monday 12pm
    101667.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement