Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Saturday 9th January 2010 )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭manonmir

snowfan wrote: »
    (I am putting my faith in them as they have made correct calls for about 90% of the time during this cold spell).

ME changed their position to a Sleety/Rainy outlook for tomorrow in Dublin earlier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Ludo wrote: »
    Just starting to snow in cork city now.

And snow stopped now again. It did a nice job of taking all the ice off my car though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

snowfan wrote: »

Also would save ME having egg on their face
    And the Dept. of Education!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Just listened to the latest Radio Broadcast.. The only mention of marginality that I heard was the use of Sleet & Snow showers, mentioned becoming widespread and persistent later tomorrow & into Monday.

Still advising of a general covering of between 2CM-5CM in many areas, up to 10CM possible in the East & Southeast into Monday.

In addition, whilst I agree it could become more marginal into Monday, especially along extreme coastal fringes, the latest UKMO Fax charts don't show a huge amount of marginality, with troughs approaching Eastern & Southeastern areas prior to the arrival of the main area of activity:

T+24

fax24s.gif

T+36

fax36s.gif

SA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

It amazing the way every man and his dog can predict the weather in this thread. Just cause your dog ran round the tree 4 times this morning and he did this the last time it snowed so you think it will today does not make it post worthy!!

If your gonna post something in relation to what you think will happen could you at least try and give some proper reasoning. Otherwise you just look like a fool.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

So all this going to rain talk is just bs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

people. don't be posting to tell us. 'That's it now....All over'. ME are not saying so. As SA just posted there it is far from certain that there will be rainfall in east and south tomorrow. At the moment the indications are that most the country will see snow over the next 36 hours. I think snow will fall during the early days of next week as well based on recent charts. Nothing is set in stone. This set up will change a few more times before the day is out so I reckon those with nervous dispositions should take a break and come back later.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

flanzer wrote: »
    And the Dept. of Education!

It will still be very dangerous out there , even without snow , more rain = more Ice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

In my opinion, I cant see it falling as rain apart from extreme costal fringes, Its still looks like the east and especially the south east will see the heavier falls, Its just changing so fast people dont know whats going on:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Lads this maybe marginal from late Sunday onwards along the south coast and southeastern coast and up along the coast to Dublin, but were talking 5 miles from the coast and this could also stay as snow.

There is the potential for alot of snow in the coming 48 hours, and with the wind coming off a subzero Britain and snowfields across Ireland the liklihood of snow increases alot.

Could be 10-15cm totals by Sunday night in Dublin, who knows perhaps alot more. Yes there is a chance (30%) that it could turn to sleet from Sunday afternoon but lets not take the chance.

I would suggest the most marginal place will coastal districts in the southeast perhaps upto 10/15 miles from the coast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Rte radio forecast saying snow for east and south, but only 2-5cm. Basically what they're saying is that what we got today is more than we'll get tomorrow, and also that the thaw will satrt on Monday. Serious downgrade of snow and temp warnings there.

Stevek101 wrote: »
    So all this going to rain talk is just bs?

No, it's not BS, it will eventually turn marginal, especially in Coastal fringes. The trouble is, as to when it will turn marginal, that's impossible to predict.

For example, at the very moment that DAM Heights increase above 528 DAM, it's not immediately going to turn to Rain.

In addition, as an ''insurance policy'' if you like, a series of troughs are indicated as approaching the Eastern & Southeastern coasts prior to the arrival of the main area of precipitation. There should be very little marginality associated with these.

It must be stressed, this is an exceptionally complex setup that we are delaing with. Local topographical factors will have a huge influence on the intensity and nature of precipitation.

It should also be noted that the latest Hi-Res guidance indicates precipitation being more widespread than indicated on the ECMWF Evolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

In my opinion, I cant see it falling as rain apart from extreme costal fringes, Its still looks like the east and especially the south east will see the heavier falls, Its just changing so fast people dont know whats going on:)
    Ok then, what's your opinion based on?

Edit: does anyone have any links to the hirlam model output? I think it's the dmi.dk website but my navigations around the site have lead to naught.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It must be stressed, this is an exceptionally complex setup that we are delaing with. Local topographical factors will have a huge influence on the intensity and nature of precipitation.

Good thread this.

What are the "Exceptional" factors at play at the moment..or to what extent are they more exceptional than heretofore ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭manonmir

Didn't mean to pretend I knew anything or trying to be negative. I just misinterpreted the 12.15 weather on RTE One. I'm certain I heard him say Rain/Sleet into the east coast turning to snow inland. That's only one forecast and yes everything seems to be up in the air. I was only saying what I heard on the news, I didn't mean to come across like a know it all. Back to reading and less reporting/speculation from me :)

Ok then, what's your opinion based on?

What's your opinion based on TBC? Please give us a run down of your expectations on the evolution from later tonight.

As I've stressed above this is a very complex evolution as you very well know. At least two times over this past 10 Day period you have stated that you felt there wouldn't be significant or widespread snowfall - Most notable occasion regarding the GLH. Yet, many areas picked up several inches of snowfall - significant accumulations of up to 30CM on High Ground.

It may well turn marginal, we are all very well aware of that. It's impossible to predict exactly when as I have highlighted above.

I look forward to your own detailed analysis on this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Good thread this.

What are the "Exceptional" factors at play at the moment..or to what extent are they more exceptional than heretofore ?

Read through snowadditcs/Mt's post and you will see

I have gone from the record of -11.3 last night to -2.4 now

I wonder will I get a thrid Ice day in a row ? hope so , looks amazing out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Snowaddict wrote: »
    No, it's not BS, it will eventually turn marginal, especially in Coastal fringes. The trouble is, as to when it will turn marginal, that's impossible to predict.

For example, at the very moment that DAM Heights increase above 528 DAM, it's not immediately going to turn to Rain.

In addition, as an ''insurance policy'' if you like, a series of troughs are indicated as approaching the Eastern & Southeastern coasts prior to the arrival of the main area of precipitation. There should be very little marginality associated with these.

It should also be noted that the latest Hi-Res guidance indicates precipitation being more widespread than indicated on the ECMWF Evolution.

I get that its extremely complex. I've been following these cold thread spells for weeks now! Nothing is ever certain. ;) I was just getting fed up with one line posts saying game over and such... I prefer reading through the charts and peoples opinions of them.

Keep up the good work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Looks like a few showers popping up on the Irish sea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Looks like some showers developing off the isle of man !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I don't remember giving an opinion on tomorrow night, apart from a statement saying it will be probably rain/sleet/snow east of the M1/M11 corridor. That was a rule of thumb at that. And from Sunday afternoon onwards. This was based on GFS dewpoint forecasts for the time period, from the 12z run I think?

On the rare occasion I give an forecasting prediction without any model or current synoptics backup, I call them a hunch:)

Also, who in their right minds would say that mountainous regions in the east were not going to get heavy snowfall? I've always downplayed predictions for low lying areas. GLH = Greenland High? I think that simply determined the blocking of what was going on. What incident was that?

I don't know why you're going on the attack with that, I simply asked someone what they had their opinion based on. What's wrong about that?? I'd actually like to know, because something that increases the chances of snow would be a positive for me.

Edit: I hope that clarifies what I was getting at. If anyone wants to bicker or try to point out where I was wrong, do it by pm please:(

Rte radio forecast saying snow for east and south, but only 2-5cm. Basically what they're saying is that what we got today is more than we'll get tomorrow, and also that the thaw will satrt on Monday. Serious downgrade of snow and temp warnings there.

That's misrepresentation thetonynator

I feel like not contributing to this thread anymore, it's just getting too weary.

That is not what they said at all. They said, they expect 2CM - 5CM widely with up to 10CM possible in some areas, most especially in the East and Southeast.

I'm probably coming across as aggressive but there is far too much hyperbole on here. Can people just remain calm and take it as it comes.

To those who are hoping for snowfall, I hope you get to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Been gently snowing in Co Limerick (between Kilmallock and Charleville) for the last hour. A light dusting on the ground now, and the sky looks FULL of snow:D
    It's the longest snow shower we've had since this cold snap began.......

Long may it continue

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

not sure if it's been said already, but the "Dublin needs to Man Up" thread got a mention in the Indo today!

Just in addition to this and what I gave as a brief thought earlier.
    I'd expect all precip ahead of the front to be fully snow.
    The problem after that is very clearly visible on the fax charts above in that it's a warm front and the air spilling in to the front mixing with the British frozen air is coming from the flow behind the front sourced round the black sea somewhere.

Thats going to be very low dewpoint air by the time it's passed over Germany and routed over to us.

I'm not fully convinced myself to be honest that this will turn as quickly to rain as it in theory should.

An air temp at the m2 buy and the m5 buoy under 4c and with neg dew points isn't going to change much in a hurry with that kind of surface flow.

Incidently the mixing of the cold and warmer air should enhance precip but that will be tempered by the high pressure.
    It's a whole now cast and a difficult one to call.

Am I starting to sound like the Eagle?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

That's misrepresentation thetonynator

I feel like not contributing to this thread anymore, it's just getting too weary.

That is not what they said at all. They said, they expect 2CM - 5CM widely with up to 10CM possible in some areas, most especially in the East and Southeast.

I'm probably coming across as aggressive but there is far too much hyperbole on here. Can people just remain calm and take it as it comes.

To those who are hoping for snowfall, I hope you get to see it.

Totally agree with you there.

Wait and see and enjoy if you get it, if not its not the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

when you say sleet/rain for some coastal regions is gorey/arklow included in this or do you mean south wexford?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

light snow in my part of Cork, Between Ballincollig and Macroom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Snowing now. Light fluffy stuffy. Temp -1.5

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement