Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Saturday 9th January 2010 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

News and Weather just starting on RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Question for the weather heads that I have been thinking about. These are just random thoughts and hold no technical bases so sorry if they come across as stupid.

Basically when models are analysing the current situation I am sure they draw on past comparable events. Given the fact this cold spell has been something we haven't seen the like of could they be off in their analysis of the breakdown.

In the past when warmer air would have been trying to break through it would have done so fairly easily but this time the cold system has had a much longer and tighter grip than usual.

I am thinking in term of if it is going to war normally it has a few days to prepare but this time its had two whole weeks and has been gathering the troops all across Europe and will be a hell of a lot stronger for the battle ahead :p ??

Opr

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Snowaddict wrote: »
    That's misrepresentation thetonynator

I feel like not contributing to this thread anymore, it's just getting too weary.

That is not what they said at all. They said, they expect 2CM - 5CM widely with up to 10CM possible in some areas, most especially in the East and Southeast.

I'm probably coming across as aggressive but there is far too much hyperbole on here. Can people just remain calm and take it as it comes.

To those who are hoping for snowfall, I hope you get to see it.

Hopefully you will keep posting , you reports have made for excellent reading .

People need to actually listen properly when listening / looking at the forecasts .

As soon as the word rain/sleet is used people come on here shouting the odds without listening to the full forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

snowing in Cork City :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

And not a flake of snow has fallen . view from rear of house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Just started to snow now in wexford town, only light had to shake my head make sure it wasnt dandruff:)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Just started snowing in Cork city. Not very big flakes but its the first snow since the start of the cold spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭lisao80

445279.ie wrote: »
    snowing in Cork City :D
    Send some down west to me please.. clear blue skies and sunshine here :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I can't make it to a TV to see the forecast. Am I right in thinking there seems to be a downgrade for Waterford to plain old heavy rain?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

immediately after I took that the snow started falling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

opr wrote: »
    Question for the weather heads that I have been thinking about. These are just random thoughts and hold no technical bases so sorry if they come across as stupid.

Basically when models are analysing the current situation I am sure they draw on past comparable events. Given the fact this cold spell has been something we haven't seen the like of could they be off it their analysis of the breakdown.

In the past when warmer air would have been trying to break through it would have done so fairly easily but this time the cold system has had a much longer and tighter grip than usual.

I am thinking in term of if it is going to war normally it has a few days to prepare but this time its had two whole weeks and has been gathering the troops all across Europe and will be a hell of a lot stronger for the battle ahead :p ??

Opr

A very sensible post :)

That's exactly the point, there is an exceptional amount of cold embedded at the moment, which can lead to many battleground setups.

For example, 850mb temperatures even at Day 5 on the overnight 00Z ECMWF evolution are still -5 to -7 across the country, because of an undercutting low to the south.

That's why Met Eireann still mention the risk of sleet/snowfall into Tuesday, because it will take some time to remove this deep cold that is in place.

SA :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

opr wrote: »

Basically when models are analysing the current situation I am sure they draw on past comparable events. Given the fact this cold spell has been something we haven't seen the like of could they be off in their analysis of the breakdown.

Opr

If you look at the last post from Readsunset in this thread :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055792451

Its gives a great view on what is happening with the cold air .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Snowing here for the last 10 mins. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

We should start to see an increase in activity in the Irish sea in the coming hours and hopefully theyll send a few crackers ashore :D

Having watched that forecast all still looks good for snow.

They are of course being cautious but I think we are on for some nice white days ahead !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

ME forecast was spot on there. No significant increase in temps for next week either.

Snowaddict ,

Did you just write that forecast for the weather just after the news ?

It was exactly how you put it, excellent work.

Thanks for all your time and effort .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Im glad cork is getting it, hope ye get enough to take some good pic's and throw a snowball or two!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Yay, finally seeing some snow falling in Craughwell, Co Galway. Proper big flakes. Just started but its my glimmer of hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Snowing here for the last 10 mins. :)

Congrats Deep Easterly :)

Today, you have a Deep Cold Pool coming from the East in an increasing Easterly flow, now with snowfall!

I bet you're liking these conditions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Im seeing some more activity brewing up in the Irish sea.

Some more snow beers are nestling in the white stuff outside my back door now !!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I'm not sure of the temp here in Lucan, but the sun feels warm on the face, despite the air feeling cold. In the sun, the snow is falling off tree branches - hopefully a bit of could and night will come to keep things chilly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

slow motion snow here..the only way i can describe it. Come on snow clouds, burst darn you!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Croc

Snowing In Cork City :D "After Four Weeks Of Waiting" Not very heavy but landing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

M.E are ramping alright :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

francosp wrote: »
    Im seeing some more activity brewing up in the Irish sea.

Clouds coming in off the Irish Sea look a little convective - nice white tops. I certainly think we could get a few more light showers here in the next couple of hours.

1.2c DP -1.4c

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

Very light snow, a few flakes just starting to fall in Mayo, 10miles east of Castlebar..Cloud building from the east and north east....Temp -4 to -5...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Congrats Deep Easterly :)

Today, you have a Deep Cold Pool coming from the East in an increasing Easterly flow, now with snowfall!

I bet you're liking these conditions!

You bet SA. :) However, my "perfect" easterly is continental based, complete with that thick purple haze, and while we had a slight tinge of it last evening, it still hasn't arrived, so when it does. perfection will be achieved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

Everyone seems to forget that this forum has been a rollercoaster since before christmas. For example the snow event last tuesday turned out to be a damp squib which lead to despair then I drove to Gorey on Wednesday and end driving back up towards Dublin in almost blizzard conditions. Its part of the fun of these forums! now I'm off to play in the snow like a big kid :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement