Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Saturday 9th January 2010 )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Snowing in Galway... now, I didn't expect this today to happen :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Snow falling here ATM:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Has more or less stopped here now, but the clouds are taking on that rank, horrible Atlantic look that usually bode rain.

If you look at he radar, theres a small shower then a bigger band about 20 mins behind it coming our way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Nobody forecast snow in the midlands today, let alone west clare, limerick or galway. This should be taken as a marker for what could happen over the next few days. Anything could happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

See see!! when we send you snow from the East it gets through...!
    But whatever kind of batteries you put in that western snow when you send it East,they ain't duracell!! :D

I wouldn't send you westerly snow BB, it is usually crap anyway. Now northerly snow, that is another matter altogether... :cool:

• Advertisement

nothing here in arklow:cool: sun is shining
    You weren't up early enough;)
    Certainly more than an extra 5cms here earlier-carefully brushed away by moi from my yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

Still very light snow here 10 miles east of Castlebar and with virtually no wind, its amazing how its getting this far west! Even the train from Dublin usually has problems getting this far west....Keep it coming!! Imagine what we could get tomorrow and monday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Just to confirm there is nothing marginal about tomorrow's extreme event.
    It can snow at upper 850's at zero and ours will be -8 in an easterly.
    I would think the south will see several inches and that the country will close down by sun night.
    I mean the airport shut today in Dublin from a few light snow showers.

As for the outlook, let's leave that at the moment, because the snow coming tomorrow is a once in a 50year event.
    And yes leahyl you will see buckets of snow:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Nobody forecast snow in the midlands today, let alone west clare, limerick or galway. This should be taken as a marker for what could happen over the next few days. Anything could happen

Indeed :)
    Mind you, it was only a few flakes (nice, big ones). But the snow shower just appeared out of thin air in an hour or so... Looking for lots of surprises this weekend :D

BTW ME DID change their forecast for today, in the last hour!
    nat00_weather.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

indeed WolfeIRE. With that in mind let's hope we get a foot of snow as a parting gift...!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

well it's coming easterly so i'd say we will get a good lashing of snow on the east coast as tomorrow goes.

http://www.sat24.com/gb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

mickger wrote: »
    Clear skies here Temp 0.7c DP -1.3c. Had a few flakes of snow earlier this morning but was nothing really. Will just have to wait for tomorrow now and hope for the best.

Yeah, I'm in Waterford too (Dunmore Road) and the car is fully thawed and what's left of Wednesday's snow has almost disappeared off the grass. Plenty left out on the road where it's been compacted and the sun doesn't get to it.

Looking at today's balmy conditions, you'd be forgiven for being sceptical about all this talk of snow. I'm beginning to feel like a bit of an eejit for going out and buying a stiff yard-brush, skiing gloves and de-icer spray yesterday, but then again, snow often hits just when you least expect it. Furthermore, it's ME and the regulars on this forum who are the real experts... :D

And even if I do look silly with what my OH called "your nuclear winter preparation", well so will the Department of Education, and that's good enough for me. ;)

Air here now 1.4c
    DP is -4c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Snow now heavy. Heading for Sligo and mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Light snow here. Beautiful sight. still calm. flakes just floating to ground slowly. Everything still frozen over. minues 3 c here

That is what I noticed to Wolfe, how gently the snow was falling despite the bigness of flakes. Almost surreal against the still and frozen landscape. :) No sign of frost or snow melt here either.

Edit. Snowing light to moderately again. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I wouldn't send you westerly snow BB, it is usually crap anyway. Now northerly snow, that is another matter altogether... :cool:

yes in a potent northerly some snow does get to the east eventually. i hope we'll see one in February with a polar low coming down from Greenland:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Light snow here too. Nice size flakes. -0.7C

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Snowing in Naas !!! :D
    Why oh why did I ever leave?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Croc

Croc wrote: »
    Snowing In Cork City :D "After Four Weeks Of Waiting" Not very heavy but landing.

Stopped Snowing Now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

You weren't up early enough;)
    Certainly more than an extra 5cms here earlier-carefully brushed away by moi from my yard.

i was up watching that snow but its all melted now:(

hope tomorrow will bring me something;)

• Advertisement

Indeed :)
    Mind you, it was only a few flakes (nice, big ones). But the snow shower just appeared out of thin air in an hour or so... Looking for lots of surprises this weekend :D

BTW ME DID change their forecast for today, in the last hour!
    nat00_weather.png
    Met Eireann as late as last night were saying snow showers for the East coast with little penetration inland.

Then a trough formed...
    Like the rest of us,they are in nowcast mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Wow the sea is really springing into life now!

Opr

i was up watching that snow but its all melted now:(

hope tomorrow will bring me something;)
    It hasn't melted here but then I'm 2 miles inland.
    In fact today is 2.5 degree's colder than yesterday,theres isn't even a drip.
    Besides Arklow is plastered with snow-what are you complaining about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

snowing in limerick and getting a bit heavier... the snow is making up for my lack of water..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Still snowing very lightly here in Mullingar but it has been not much more than a dusting in total this morning. What has landed on the car has thawed so it seems to be getting a bit warmer now.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

-0.8C and now snowing in Clare (must be sneaking through the snow-shield :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Why oh why did I ever leave?:(

You all come crawling back in the end !!!!!! :p;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

HELLO WORLD!!!! what a beautiful day...yup youve guessed it I got SNOWWWWW!!!! lol it moderates between very very light flakes and then the odd fall of larger ones... not heavy as such but there is white stuff falling from the sky!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D (manorhamilton got alot more as previously predicted ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

zenno wrote: »

Note how the Snow Shield protects Waterford and the rest of the 051 area! :D

snowshield.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

It's 4C here and not too bad a day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement