Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Saturday 9th January 2010 )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Trotter wrote: »
    How come the forecasts are starting to say that there'll be rain here in the South East?

simple because snow is the hardest to predict and they say rain just to cover themselves no one can get it perfectly right unless you can see the future. serious nothing important in snow is going to happen in the north east tonight tomorrow evening is the day unless the wind direction varies but thats tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

moderate snow here now in SE Mayo. Temp dropping as well, -1c exactly, was 0c about an hour ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

Edit:
    Now that's an optimistic post for snow:)

I'm curious to know, why are you certain at the lack of marginality for tomorrow?

The following two charts indicate that there's only snow likely away from coastal areas/counties except on high ground.
    10011106_0912.gif
    10011015_0912.gif

Note that I'm not making a prediction here. Just want to see some feedback about this.

The track of much of the air of this system does seem to be coming from a cold and dry continent, so I can't figure out myself why the models are consistently putting dew points too high?

I'd still not be caught in the Annamoe area with the forecast as it stands anyway;)

Apologies, the above charts are not for the same time.

Correct. Bottom line is that the whole event is now knife edge. And if experience is anything to go by, we'll get a disappointment. Arguably this would be the biggest sickener ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Weent to Tesco - finally road was gritted a bit - in sh&^t still but slid all the way there .. Total armageddon there... Very very little there - even loo roll - Choice of Tesco pink flowers or discount brand... That was it !!

Mahem & carpark a skating rink...... lost control few times & i wasnt even driving :mad:

1 celsius in dublin now. yesterday at 9 o clock was -8 so it's definatly warming slightly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Heavy snow here now... long may it contnue... and hopefully poor oul waterford and cork will get some to. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

0.0c exactly here. I just hope that lovely big clump of snow over Derry doesnt break up before it reaches here .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

snap !!!

At least I have wine to drink - purely to conserve the water ;)

LOL :D

Same here. Stock pile of beer in the garage which is WELL chilled. And a selection of spirits ready for when it gets really cold. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Edit:
    The following two charts indicate that there's only snow likely away from coastal areas/counties except on high ground.

For once, it looks like kilkenny will get a complete absolute pasting!!!
    This deserves an entire row of smilies ( 15's the limit:mad:) ( Damn there's 1 wasted:mad:!!!!)

:D;):p:cool::P:):pac::D;):P:pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Correct. Bottom line is that the whole event is now knife edge. And if experience is anything to go by, we'll get a disappointment. Arguably this would be the biggest sickener ever.

egg on faces then - specially with O'Keeffe ordering all schools to close...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Light snow (proper snow!!) for past hour with another hour to come.

1.1C and a very healthy dewpoint of -3C

Max 3.7C

snaps wrote: »
    moderate snow here now in SE Mayo. Temp dropping as well, -1c exactly, was 0c about an hour ago

nice one glad to hear it's starting there.

DP of -4.3 beside the sea... Snowing since Tue. loads of it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Seriously; I taught English in the UK, and am wondering what the kids are being taught now..My cyber red pen itches when Owen's mails come up...

Where is he by the way? Please God not on ice somewhere...
    snow ghost wrote: »
    Owen the Eagle is practising for the winter olympics by ski jumping and ice skating - on a car park that he thinks is a frozen lake - for when the event inevitably comes to Coleraine. apart from that he is celebrating passing his exam in teaching English as a Foreign Language... the examiner said that Owen's English was foreign to him. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Snow over Maynooth now.

The real soft flakey stuff as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Trotter wrote: »
    How come the forecasts are starting to say that there'll be rain here in the South East?

Marginality is possible, certainly later into the day. It's hard to tell with the UKMO NAE Model, because it sometimes labels snow as rainfall, even inland or where outbreaks will be light.

I'm sure those in Waterford would like this chart though for tomorrow, Sunday, 06.00 Hours:

10011006_0912.gif

UKMO NAE also indicated marginality last week for Tue/Wed so it's difficult to guage but it is possible, that during Sunday night & into Monday, conditions will become more marginal, especially in exposed Coastal areas.

SA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

jenzz wrote: »
    Weent to Tesco - finally road was gritted a bit - in sh&^t still but slid all the way there .. Total armageddon there... Very very little there - even loo roll - Choice of Tesco pink flowers or discount brand... That was it !!

Why would you use pink flowers.. I always heard an auld docken leaf was best. Lidl has cheaper flowers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

how large an area is covered by 'we'?!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

Right, back at the laptop after a day spent fetching supplies and lugging washing to a friend's place - our water is out, as is true of much of Maynooth.

It's now 0.2C, been up as far as 1.2C, but that was a very brief thing. Currently a heavy snow shower, and they've been on and off all day in varying degrees. Even with the compaction of earlier snow, we're building towards a respectable depth. Shoveling the snow off the drive earlier felt like I was in my wife's homeplace in Finland.

Roads are generally fine at the moment, but I wouldn't like to be out on them after it starts to freeze again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

egg on faces then - specially with O'Keeffe ordering all schools to close...
    it was more to do with health and safety than the amount of snow that we will/hope to get

• Advertisement

wouldnt bother replying.. all these new posters spreading thaw on our snowfest all seem to have 2 & 3 posts..... smell a troll..... they seem to just keep signing up as new posters just to Troll

i hope this little guy can hang on till tomorrow...

snowman_over.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

For once, it looks like kilkenny will get a complete absolute pasting!!!
    This deserves an entire row of smilies ( 15's the limit:mad:) ( Damn there's 1 wasted:mad:!!!!)

Ill help with smilies if theres snow for kilkenny :D
    Only a few small showers today but hoping for a foot each day until march :p

:D:D:D:p:p:D:p:D:D:pac::P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

how large an area is covered by 'we'?!

Don't get me wrong. I am just disappointed at what I perceive to be a pretty big dilution in the overall certainty attaching to tomorrow. We might still get lucky, but you have to admit there is a trend emerging - even in this forum?

irish1967 wrote: »
    Why would you use pink flowers.. I always heard an auld docken leaf was best. Lidl has cheaper flowers :D

Lol - & since when was loo roll essential

Mothman wrote: »
    Light snow (proper snow!!) for past hour with another hour to come.

1.1C and a very healthy dewpoint of -3C

Max 3.7C
    You've got a streamer.
    Thats going to pile up :)

It's staying north of here though but Supercell will be having it!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

from where im sitting there is a lot of cloud heading your way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Nothing marginal before 1pm monday, even the boats off cobh harbour will get snow
    This is -8 uppers, plus an easterly, plus supporting thickness of lower than 528dam, plus the country already frozen solid.
    Trust me heavy heavy snow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Don't get me wrong. I am just disappointed at what I perceive to be a pretty big dilution in the overall certainty attaching to tomorrow. We might still get lucky, but you have to admit there is a trend emerging - even in this forum?

uk met office don't have it marginal - now i know they are not the same as us. certainly there is always a risk but there is a lot of things as the experts have outlined in our favour this time.

• Advertisement

the forcasters did make a point in saying that the snow showers over eastern and inland areas will be slight today and tonight. so brand new data would be handy to have but we'll know better by 11 tonight. there will be snow no doubt but it will be in small squals.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement