Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Saturday 9th January 2010 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The only certainty in any data I've witnessed with snow is that you cannot have snow accumulations with anything above 0.0 Celcius dewpoints. Regardless of other synoptics. I've seen rain with a touch of sleet in Dublin, and -7 Celcius 850hpa temperatures. And I'm pretty sure sub 528 dam air too.

So what I'd love to know is are the models more likely to be underestimating the sea level dewpoints or overestimating them? I think this event is in the balance for coastal eastern areas but it really is going to deliver inland anyway. I just want to see the dewpoints nailed above any other aspect of the forecast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Moderate snow shower and temperature of -2c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

2j2e3cm.jpg
    South Laois/TN/KK border 1630 today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I never thought I'd see the day when the tv forcasts were predicting more severe weather than this board. People come here for sensational Armageddon type snow and flood forcasts. Get back to business people, we need more 4 foot snow predictions and less talk of thaw and rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Coyote

abominable snowman attacks Dublin 6
    could not get out snowboarding today so I build a snowman
    09012010356n.jpg
    I think he is about 6 foot 6in to 7 foot high, I hope no one kills him he could last for weeks as no sun hits there.
    only got snow this morning might get a bit more now if the radar is right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

uk met office don't have it marginal - now i know they are not the same as us. certainly there is always a risk but there is a lot of things as the experts have outlined in our favour this time.

Five-day forecast:

DateLocal
    TimeWeatherMax/Min
    TempWindPressureRelative
    humidityVisibilityDirSpeedSat
    Jan
    Dayw24.gif3°C E14 mph1031 hPa83 %PoorNightw2.gif2°C Sun
    Jan
    Dayw12.gif5°C ENE21 mph1025 hPa63 %ModerateNightw12.gif4°C Mon
    Jan
    Dayw24.gif3°C SE16 mph1018 hPa93 %GoodNightw2.gif3°C Tue
    Jan
    Dayw27.gif3°C ESE33 mph998 hPa97 %Very PoorNightw27.gif2°C Wed
    Jan
    Dayw12.gif6°C SE16 mph997 hPa100 %Very PoorNightw6.gif1°C

??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Snowing here in donegal again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Five-day forecast:

DateLocal
    TimeWeatherMax/Min
    TempWindPressureRelative
    humidityVisibilityDirSpeedSat
    Jan
    Dayw24.gif3°C E14 mph1031 hPa83 %PoorNightw2.gif2°C Sun
    Jan
    Dayw12.gif5°C ENE21 mph1025 hPa63 %ModerateNightw12.gif4°C Mon
    Jan
    Dayw24.gif3°C SE16 mph1018 hPa93 %GoodNightw2.gif3°C Tue
    Jan
    Dayw27.gif3°C ESE33 mph998 hPa97 %Very PoorNightw27.gif2°C Wed
    Jan

Dayw12.gif6°C SE16 mph997 hPa100 %Very PoorNightw6.gif1°C

??

where is that for?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Deja vu... am I dreaming? No, it is ...... snow.

You must forgive me my lack of your enthusiam as the fourth week of .. .....icebound.... life gets well under way here now.

Went out to take more photos but baulked at it.

As in other lands where this is normal; no longer any big deal.

Utterly lovely always. But part of the scenery now. Normal.

A completely different view to most on here, and that is fine too. It is what some of our posters from other countries are saying.

Quiet and calm.

And oh the road is once more covered.

No water; no fridge and no dehumidifier; too cold for them to work. A part of the new pattern here now.

Still I have done my latest knitting batch in record time.. a very Irish way to pass winter days when going out is impossible.

Oh, please ENJOY it is and when it comes there. Play in it and revel in it. As I did that first week..snowtreesone.jpg

Than absorb it into your life. Live in and alongside it in a different way. Observe it and use it differently.

Off to feed the critters, and retire..

Never know what I am going to find in the morning now ;)

Peace this frigid night..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

09 January 2010 16:18

Snow will become widespread tomorrow, Sunday, over much of Leinster and Munster and later extending into Connacht (turning perhaps to sleety rain along the east and south coast). Highest temperatures will only be minus 2 to plus 3 degrees and feeling bitterly cold with a significant wind chill effect from the strengthening east to northeast winds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

where is that for?

UK met office forecast that I see seems at variance with you? I see greater hope for Tuesday rather than tomorrow. That's all.

Let's see what ME have to say for themselves this evening. They were 100% certain yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Nothing marginal before 1pm monday, even the boats off cobh harbour will get snow
    This is -8 uppers, plus an easterly, plus supporting thickness of lower than 528dam, plus the country already frozen solid.
    Trust me heavy heavy snow

leahyl, ludo, gavinh and all the rest of you who reside somewhere in the vicinity of the real capital - read this guy's posts and ignore everyone else.

januarySnowstor, I put all my faith in your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

ME just changed mondays forecast to rain in East Cork monday, on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

You've got a streamer.
    Thats going to pile up :)

It's staying north of here though but Supercell will be having it!

Just the odd light flurry. I have enough, yes I did say that. Honestly there does come a point when it becomes too much and that's here now. Its over 30cm, over my wellies in the field I was measuring it anyhow. That's just too feckin much.
    But I am enjoying reading the enthusiastic comments here :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

09 January 2010 16:18

Snow will become widespread tomorrow, Sunday, over much of Leinster and Munster and later extending into Connacht (turning perhaps to sleety rain along the east and south coast). Highest temperatures will only be minus 2 to plus 3 degrees and feeling bitterly cold with a significant wind chill effect from the strengthening east to northeast winds.

That looks pretty certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

HIRLAM for Monday AM. Snow all over the country.

This shows heavy precip for dublin region.

I still think the midlands and south west will see the heaviest precip over next 36 hrs. Overall though most places should see a good dumping.

To view the HIRLAM charts go to http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

then click on nedbor

Don't mind the attached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Anybody know the link to that netherlands weather site?I faved it but then reinstalled Windows on my laptop :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭wushu

Looks marginal here on the east coast pm tomorrow then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

zenno wrote: »
    1 celsius in dublin now. yesterday at 9 o clock was -8 so it's definatly warming slightly.

Not all of Dublin is 1.0, where i am is -1.9. Dublin is a big place.

Less of the BAH-HUMBUG crap everyone please

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

has the dew point got to be lower or higher than the temp for it to snow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Just started snowing at the red cow - very light but snow all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Johnny1999 wrote: »
    has the dew point got te lower or higher than the temp for it to snow?

dew point has to be below 0 for snow
    it's not possible for the dew point to be higher than the temp

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Anybody know the link to that netherlands weather site?I faved it but then reinstalled Windows on my laptop :pac:

This one? :)

I didn't dare shut it in case I couldn't find it again :D

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

thank you Rougies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,000 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Not on the radar but just stated snowing in wexford town.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I notice on the satellite there a bigger bank of cloud moving across from the south of IOM, wonder will it bring more persisten snow shower or just nothing?

image.ashx?country=gb&type=last&time=201001091800&sat=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

wushu wrote: »
    Looks marginal here on the east coast pm tomorrow then ?
    Nothing too marginal about these upper air temps (1200-1600 metres) for Midnight tomorrow. Everywhere will see snow. It's from Monday afternoon onwards when things will get marginal
    10011100_0912.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭wushu

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Nothing too marginal about these upper air temps (1200-1600 metres) for Midnight tomorrow. Everywhere will see snow. It's from Monday afternoon onwards when things will get marginal
    10011100_0912.gif
    Ahh ok thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

I notice on the satellite there a bigger bank of cloud moving across from the south of IOM, wonder will it bring more persisten snow shower or just nothing?

Yeah just noticed that too, the next radar image should be interesting :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

You've got a streamer.
    Thats going to pile up :)

It's staying north of here though but Supercell will be having it!
    Its very light and really just a persistant flurry and even then there are breaks in it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement