Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Saturday 9th January 2010 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Timistry

leahyl wrote: »
    I thought so too - he didn't even MENTION the south:(! Oh god please some reassure me!

Another non-event i reckon:mad:. And once this cold spell ends, it will probably rain 24/7!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Trotter wrote: »
    Why don't they call it the Dublin forecast? There was no concentration on the southern counties (of which there are quite a few met!) and general waffle about what we knew at 6pm.

Im getting frustrated now at the lack of proper information for counties outside Dublin.

He said widespread that covers everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Villain wrote: »
    Lads lets be fair to the met, they are under serious pressure, he said showers on the East Coast and thats what you are getting some areas more than others.

Yeah but look at the radar at what's out in the sea now and this isn't even part of the main event ?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

I mean that looks like pretty prolonged snow tonight for alot of Dublin to me ?

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Seen the first proper snowman of the year in Donabate. Starting here again now - big bonus after rain & thaw of this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

That forecast had to be pre recorded earlier. Otherwise he would have mentioned what was happening on the Irish Sea. Havn't had much here, but I can see a lot of red on RainToday (but its just not producing anything when it passes over here:()

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

It finally snowed where I am on the Louth/Monaghan border. I can hardly believe it. I was fully convinced we had an impenetrable snowshield hovering over us.

I just hope that's not all we're going to get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

LookingFor wrote: »
    Mr Cunningham just quoted Met Eireann as saying that it may be next Saturday before a thaw starts to set in. That's when they see the best hope for a thaw, but might take a couple of days for it to complete.

they can only predict 6 days ahead tops and thats cutting it . who knows this could last into february oh yeah . good luck to driving i sold my car before this madstuff happened best thing i ever did. WOW what a night walking around in this stuff i bumped into a couple of strangers and they talked and had a conversation with me. thats mad cause no one ever stops and talks, but i'm amazed the affect the snow has on people all i can see when i was out was happy people. deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Timistry wrote: »
    Another non-event i reckon:mad:. And once this cold spell ends, it will probably rain 24/7!

Jeez, wait until this time tomorrow before saying that! Be patient, it'll come! :p Whats happening on the east coast now IS NOT tomorrows event! Met Eireann had predicted light, scattered showers on the east coast for tonight, but not to this extent, ie heavy and prolonged in places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Is Eagleton taking the piss?

Has he looked at the radar?

Disgrace!

He seemed nervous tonight, almost like he knew there was going to be serious snow fall, but not allowed to tell us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

oldmillgal wrote: »
    I posted what he said there a while ago to see the reaction and true weathercheck he gave a disgraceful forecast. I am not a regular poster but have come to love this forum over the past few weeks and I have to say I now only go by what you guys say rather than the tv weather forecast. Ye havent put me wrong so far..... Thanks:)

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

I take it the front tomorrow will hit landfall on the south east coast. What time are we expecting this to happen? The Eagle told us nothing:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

Just started snowing again here in dublin 8. Seems heavy enough :-)

thanks to all for keeping me addicted for the past few days...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

ragg wrote: »
    He seemed nervous tonight, almost like he knew there was going to be serious snow fall, but not allowed to tell us

I thought so too! He was stuttering......more than usual i mean:D!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

Why don't they call it the Dublin forecast? There was no concentration on the southern counties (of which there are quite a few met!) and general waffle about what we knew at 6pm.

Im getting frustrated now at the lack of proper information for counties outside Dublin.

No you are getting frustrated at having no snow.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

ragg wrote: »

i thought the opposite - more like downplaying it and by tomorrow morning 2-5 cm warnings in the east only!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Still nothing in Greystones. Is it just moving around us or what? Can anyone tell me if there has been much in South dublin or bray?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

or just move the isle of man:cool:

what use would that be,
    the clouds miss us and get pushed round the east coast off to dublin, clear skys here:(
    only had 1 day of snow:mad: and that was on tue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

leahyl wrote: »
    I thought so too! He was stuttering......more than usual i mean:D!

I <3 the eagle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Villain wrote: »
    He said widespread that covers everywhere

They've said widespread a lot.. I havent seen snow in 2 days, and even then it lasted 10 minutes.

The only thing in the sky here is bright stars, and I'm as far east in Waterford as I can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

mickger wrote: »
    I take it the front tomorrow will hit landfall on the south east coast. What time are we expecting this to happen? The Eagle told us nothing:mad:

I think he had been warned not to get us over excited.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ohsotired

Long time lurker, first time poster!! No snow in Clondalkin for the past hour or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

more importantly its -9c in coleraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hey lads how reliable are the "uk snow risk" GFS charts on Netweather? If they are reliable then i am worried......

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Timistry

Jeez, wait until this time tomorrow before saying that! Be patient, it'll come! :p Whats happening on the east coast now IS NOT tomorrows event! Met Eireann had predicted light, scattered showers on the east coast for tonight, but not to this extent, ie heavy and prolonged in places.

meh. im in a bad mood even since the potential snow for the west during the week was a non-event. Have only seen less than 1cm of snow during this cold spell and everyday seems to be a downgrade. And met eireann are only concerned about Dublin. I guess they have forgotten about the other 31 counties...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

DDigital wrote: »
    No you are getting frustrated at having no snow.:D

Hehe, partly true :p

Frustrated at not knowing really. I'm off work until Thursday and if its going to be clear and cold, I may aswell be there as opposed to losing 3 days of my holidays in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Looks like Dubin to Wexford will get it tonight at some stage.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp?ani=y

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

mad DIY wrote: »
    That forecast had to be pre recorded earlier. Otherwise he would have mentioned what was happening on the Irish Sea. Havn't had much here, but I can see a lot of red on RainToday (but its just not producing anything when it passes over here:()

It seemed to be the exact same , he even went through "its going to get milder, well not milder less cold " stuttered and stammered at the exact same spot !

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Can some of the weather experts here, please confirm if anything has changed in the last 3-4 hours, to prompt the Eagles downgrade of the South. By downgrade I mean no mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

They've said widespread a lot.. I havent seen snow in 2 days, and even then it lasted 10 minutes.

The only thing in the sky here is bright stars, and I'm as far east in Waterford as I can get.

You will see Snow tomorrow unless you are very close to the coast where it could be sleet.

I don't the snow or sleet will be heavy but will be last for a few hours, I got 6 inches in 3 hours on Wednesday I think I could be lucky to see half that with 8 hours of snow tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Still nothing in Greystones. Is it just moving around us or what? Can anyone tell me if there has been much in South dublin or bray?

Yes non stop since after 5. Blizzard every now & then - 3 cm covering on top of whats already here since tue... measured 15- 18 cm in parts here today ..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement