Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Saturday 9th January 2010 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Rougies wrote: »
    mini blizzard part deux kicking off here
    W

Where are you I am in Sandyford and nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Rain + graupely mix in nw dublin. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

What is graupel?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Cantonesque

Nice snowfall in Lucan... TG I got my thermals. 13 euro in M&S. Query is where do the jocks go... inside or out?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Stopped in Lucan now and the measuring tape says 2.5cm accumulation on the newly built sled i left outside with nothing on it at 18.00.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭mayoireland

If i dont see snow in another 10 years it will be to soon,but wait till the taw comes the roads will be a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

jenzz wrote: »
    Yes non stop since after 5. Blizzard every now & then - 3 cm covering on top of whats already here since tue... measured 15- 18 cm in parts here today ..

:eek: That's crazy. Nothing here. Just a few flakes earlier. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Firstly, that forecast, I would agree, was definitely pre-recorded because he would have mentioned the activity on the Irish Sea that is feeding into many Eastern districts at the moment.

Met Eireann have been relying on Hi-Res model Guidance. Both Hirlam and UKMO NAE have failed miserably in predicting this streamer activity this evening.

Regarding tomorrow, he is threading very carefully. I don't see any downgrade, there was no mention of marginality, even though that risk does still persist, especially later on tomorrow as discussed earlier. Certain factors may also override this, such as the cold pool being so embedded.

Otherwise, he was stammering excessively because he is under pressure at the moment. The public are firmly focused on the weather & Met Eireann. If they are over zealous in their predictions, people might get angry.

A decent forecast but could have been more comprehensive & certainly should have mentioned current developments on the Irish Sea.

SA :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Villain wrote: »
    You will see Snow tomorrow unless you are very close to the coast where it could be sleet.

I don't the snow or sleet will be heavy but will be last for a few hours, I got 6 inches in 3 hours on Wednesday I think I could be lucky to see half that with 8 hours of snow tomorrow

Cheers. Im about 20 mins from the coast. We'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

ragg wrote: »
    He seemed nervous tonight, almost like he knew there was going to be serious snow fall, but not allowed to tell us

Indeed he did. Not on top form, poor Eagle. Maybe the pressure is getting to him. No great confidence, also a very short range forcast in comparitive terms. No real insight into what may happen after tomorrow, quite unsure in this regard. Perhaps he genuining doesn't know. Or maybe he just wants to get tomorrow over and done with first. He told us to use met.ie. Maybe he is trying not to panic the nation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

Nice snowfall in Lucan... TG I got my thermals. 13 euro in M&S. Query is where do the jocks go... inside or out?:rolleyes:

Keep them in please!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Looks like Dubin to Wexford will get it tonight at some stage.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp?ani=y

That looks like a giant snow blaster is right under the IOM, blasting the white stuff between North County Dublin and South Wicklow. BRING IT ON!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Carpenter wrote: »
    W

Knocklyon. Only about 2 mins of heavy stuff but still coming down nicely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Blanch has got it fairly good for four hours or so and gets blizzard like every fifteen mintes and it would seem there is a steady stream of it coming.....super stuff...i am deffo getting the camera out in the morn to take a stroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

If i dont see snow in another 10 years it will be to soon,but wait till the taw comes the roads will be a disaster
    and with all the salt that they have put out there be potholes as big as houses

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 oldmillgal

no snow falling here in carlow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭boy_wonder

Golf balls falling in Balddoyle last 10 mins...2nd big shower of the night:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Met Updated the warning at half 9
    Weather Warning

Issued at 09 January 2010 - 21:35
    Weather Warning

Further wintry showers mainly in eastern and and southeastern counties Saturday night then, sleet and snow developing more widely across the country during Sunday and into Monday, giving falls of 5 - 10 cm in places, with Munster and Leinster most at risk.

Frosty, icy conditions persisting throughout on a widespread scale. Freezing fog lifting Saturday night or early Sunday as winds freshen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

ohsotired wrote: »
    Long time lurker, first time poster!! No snow in Clondalkin for the past hour or so!

Welcome... Happy posting -
    1st rule stick your location in on your settings or people will start getting cranky & giving out to you.
    2nd rule: Political ie north & south banter/ competition now banned... lol ie English is not a foreign language
    3rd rule: Only positivity allowed - none of this its not gonna happen rubbish - IT is - snow snow snow
    4th rule: You will be told to f%$^ off tomorrow off boards if you havent measured more than 32inches of snow so make sure your ruler is at hand

Enjoy
    LOL :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

SeaFields wrote: »
    Holy Jeebus :eek:

That looks like loads doesn't it??!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Mini hijack...

Anyone see any good hills to bring the Kids sledging ,in the saggart , clondalkin areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭dasdog

Nice steady flow of the white stuff in Dublin 14. Been on/off most of the day ranging from hail like to powder to mid sized flakes. Maybe 3cm on the ground at the moment. Only downside for me is a catcus in a pot has collapsed due to the soil freezing. More please. Much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

poolboy wrote: »
    What is graupel?

It looks like a mini hailstone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graupel

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Carpenter wrote: »
    W

I have light snow in north sandyford..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

anyone just watching bbc news they just said they are expecting anything upto 20, 30, or 40 cm of snow tomorrow :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

And we're off again in Lucan! Light but persistent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Timistry wrote: »
    meh. im in a bad mood even since the potential snow for the west during the week was a non-event. Have only seen less than 1cm of snow during this cold spell and everyday seems to be a downgrade. And met eireann are only concerned about Dublin. I guess they have forgotten about the other 31 counties...

i think the whole country are watching how dublin city cope if they get hammered by this snow event after what happened Wednesday.the whole place shut down after a few cm of snow. and i was 5 hours getting home:mad:

its gonna be interesting to see if they can keep the city moving on monday.
    id put money on another epic fail.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement