Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Saturday 9th January 2010 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

oldmillgal wrote: »
    no snow falling here in carlow

Its because of those damn Wicklow Mountains, bloody nuicences!! :p Thinking of starting a petition to have them flatten, or moved.......to east Cork, sure they dont get any snow down there anyway so it wouldnt make a difference! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Cantonesque

Lashing down snow in Lucan....Nice

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

siochain wrote: »
    anyone just watching bbc news they just said they are expecting anything upto 20, 30, or 40 cm of snow tomorrow :eek:

Ya saw that earlier! That's like the amount they are expecting in Germany too - so the UK would be paralyzed if they got that i'd say:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Firstly, that forecast, I would agree, was definitely pre-recorded because he would have mentioned the activity on the Irish Sea that is feeding into many Eastern districts at the moment.

Met Eireann have been relying on Hi-Res model Guidance. Both Hirlam and UKMO NAE have failed miserably in predicting this streamer activity this evening.

Regarding tomorrow, he is threading very carefully. I don't see any downgrade, there was no mention of marginality, even though that risk does still persist, especially later on tomorrow as discussed earlier. Certain factos may also override this, such as the cold pool being so embedded.

Otherwise, he was stammering excessively because he is under pressure at the moment. The public are firmly focused on the weather & Met Eireann. If they are over zealous in their predictions, people might get angry.

A decent forecast but could have been more comprehensive & certainly should have mentioned current developments on the Irish Sea.

SA :)

Exactly SA, the poor man is under immense pressure from all angles. Some telling him to ramp it, some telling him to downplay it, depending on the business/government agency etc. There's a lot of money at stake. I'm sure 90% of the country was watching that forecast and he knows it. And he personally would be the one that will be remembered for it if he gets it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

It looks like a mini hailstone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graupel

thanks pa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

Sandymount 9:20pm. Snowing on and off over last 3 hours. (not sure if photo will attach!)
    Sandymount.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

Rougies wrote: »
    Exactly SA, the poor man is under immense pressure from all angles. Some telling him to ramp it, some telling him to downplay it, depending on the business/government agency etc. There's a lot of money at stake. I'm sure 90% of the country was watching that forecast and he knows it. And he personally would be the one that will be remembered for it if he gets it wrong.

Agreed. Think Michael Fish, BBC and a certain Hurricane.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

Out in blanch this is the third big snow event since new years day. Has been snowing out here since around five still snowing and a substancial amount on the ground today. Am loving this! We aren't even on high ground !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Nice fluffy stuff coming down in Dublin 13.....Lucky for some! I love Bonus snow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Hmmm. I thought initially some of the commentary here about the 9 forecast was a bit harsh, but this definitely isn't the typical 'a few showers'. Yeah, it's 'just' showers...but it's a chain of them. Our accumulation here has doubled I think since this started.

On the other had I dunno how much it matters if the evening forecast missed this. It's dead out. It'll probably matter more tomorrow though, if we have another notable drop of stuff on top of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

feck all here in navan!! Few showers today but nothing major :(

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

Does anybody know if it is snowing at Dublin Airport. I'm leaving my sister up for a 6.30 flight tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Continuing to lash down snow here - its really turning into quiet a night here - and this was meant to be only the starters:eek::D:D:D:D

PS: 18Z gfs says still bitter by next Saturaday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

thomasj wrote: »
    Out in blanch this is the third big snow event since new years day. Has been snowing out here since around five still snowing and a substancial amount on the ground today. Am loving this! We aren't even on high ground !

I reckon we in d15 may be getting it more regularly than others - estates here have been snowed in fairly well for days....even that small bit yesterday hit d15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

RTE seem to be playing the event down intentionally. I guess RTE don't want to create a panic. RTE are giving enough indication of snow so most folk know its coming, people can prepare in their own way without panic.

Couple of light to medium snow showers in Louth today, first during early morn, another around mid day, one just finished up an hour ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

jaffa20 wrote: »
    :eek: That's crazy. Nothing here. Just a few flakes earlier. :(

I know - sis is in Greystones & we like this since Tue night.. She did the 3 hour trip from Bray on Wed to get home to eh nothing.. She was disguisted:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Just had a few flakes in Terenure. Nothing worth wearing the carpet out for between the PC and the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

feck all here in navan!! Few showers today but nothing major :(

Anyone know how much we'll get tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Cantonesque

Holy God... The strongest snow we have had... Looks like Monday will be a write off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Is the front that will hit tomorrow the one off the south west coast of England now?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Snow falling heavy for the last 10 mins in Finglas, Dublin 11, just after stopping there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

items wrote: »
    RTE seem to be playing the event down intentionally. I guess RTE don't want to create a panic. RTE are giving enough indication of snow so most folk know its coming, people can prepare in their own way without panic.

Couple of light to medium snow showers in Louth today, first during early morn, another around mid day, one just finished up an hour ago.

RTE have to say it as it is. Peoples lifes are at stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

No snow in Tipp Town, we had a small flurry about 2 pm but that was it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Mr. Muddle wrote: »
    Does anybody know if it is snowing at Dublin Airport. I'm leaving my sister up for a 6.30 flight tomorrow morning.

http://www.dublinairport.com/flight-information/live-departures1.asp

Which 6.30 flight? some are already cancelled, look at the link above.

Looks like flights are still taking off at the moment though.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Brilliant forecast from Rob on the beeb
    Heavy persistent snow for nearly all of Ireland

Met Eireann are a disgrace if we get heavy disruptive snow 2mor

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

maybe its state censorship that he is having to downgrade the weather so the Gormless and the Big idiot at the top dont get too much of a lashing... remember listening to the radio during the week and they were talking to reporters about the media and one of them said that she new of 3 or 4 serious stories that were not being reported on as they were too sensitive to some of the people in power.

Rathfarnham is getting a good pasting at the moment, going sledging early tommorow as the hills around here were jammers all day even at 9. tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Was talking to a mate on facebook just there and he said it's been snowing pretty much from 5-5:30 in Finglas too. Says it goes heavy and then light and then heavy etc... -21 here but no snow. Back tomorrow so hopefully i don't have huge delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Brilliant forecast from Rob on the beeb
    Heavy persistent snow for nearly all of Ireland

Met Eireann are a disgrace if we get heavy disruptive snow 2mor

Is this on the tv or the web?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Mr. Muddle wrote: »

I work there and live down the road.....if what's happening in the Irish sea keeps up and with the Scandinavian front to come in around lunch time, she won't be going anywhere I'm afraid to say

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

mickger wrote: »
    Is the front that will hit tomorrow the one off the south west coast of England now?

Yeah think so Mickger - but looks a very weak affair on raintoday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement