Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Saturday 9th January 2010 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭jd

jd wrote: »
    I think he did, and saw the streamer - he seemed a bit nervous. Those showers are bubbling up like a stream of bubbles in a can of coke, from more or less the same point, and taking the same path.. (to Dublin)

Reconsidering this, I think this was pre recorded, and he was worried about what is happening - happening.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Rougies wrote: »
    Exactly SA, the poor man is under immense pressure from all angles. Some telling him to ramp it, some telling him to downplay it, depending on the business/government agency etc. There's a lot of money at stake. I'm sure 90% of the country was watching that forecast and he knows it. And he personally would be the one that will be remembered for it if he gets it wrong.

With how important the Met Eireann forecasts are at the moment , it is utterly unbelievable that they would pre-record / re-run an earlier forecast.

The eyes of the country are on them , I expected an awful lot more from them.

My Granny was 90 today , she was ill so we had to cancel her party and all go to my godmothers house, who lives in the Bonerbrenna Mts Dublin , (Glenasmole)

Thanks to this forum I was able to pre warn the parents and some others who were there what was on the way .

The roads up there are now un-passable but my parents got down in plenty of time after I warned them . Some stayed and are now stuck there for the night !

EDIT : Savage snow storm going on outside at the moment !

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭cdev

Heyes wrote: »
    I think the nothside dub is getting all the snow, there s not much action around the south of dublin.

We're gettin our fair share of south side dub snow up here in Kilternan. But we are up in the mountains so we might have an unfair advantage ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

naughto wrote: »
    and with all the salt that they have put out there be potholes as big as houses

The potholes are also beginning. I have seen a few huge ones already while walking around Carlow.
    Its because of those damn Wicklow Mountains, bloody nuicences!! :p Thinking of starting a petition to have them flatten, or moved.......to east Cork, sure they dont get any snow down there anyway so it wouldnt make a difference! :p

That is a good idea, but would Naas not be affected the same way we are in Carlow.

How long until we get more snow here in Carlow. Will the potential snow mean the temperatures won't be as low tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭jds0ur

A glimpse of Booterstown
    16jlkza.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

any sign of the wind getting up yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

feck all here in navan!! Few showers today but nothing major :(

Go have a look at the met.ie radar Jonny. You will see showers streching from north Wexford up to north Louth/south Down. But it is not one mass of cloud; it is like a patch work of clouds. The intensity of the showers seem to be concentrated around the Dublin. If you look at Meath it is very hit and miss. This is reflected in the nature of the posts.

edit: showers heading into north and south Meath but nothing in between i.e Navan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭boy_wonder

The coast side of Baldoyle (DUBLIN 13) will never see he likes of this snow ever again...deadly!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭aleyra

Hey guys, im heading from navan to galway city tomorrow and just wondering if anybody know what the driving conditions are going to be like in that general direction?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Rougies wrote: »
    That was very brave of you Leahyl. In times of despair one's true feelings surface :)
    With how important the Met Eireann forecasts are at the moment , it is utterly unbelievable that they would pre-record / re-run an earlier forecast.

My Granny was 90 today , she was ill so we had to cancel her party and all go to my godmothers house, who lives in the Bonerbrenna Mts Dublin , (Glenasmole)

Thanks to this forum I was able to pre warn the parents and some other who were there what was on the way .

The roads up there are now un-passable but my parents got down in plenty of time after I warned them . Some stayed and are now stuck there for the night !

You are gonna LOSE the First Every 30 Years Boards Snowball Fight

LOOOOOOOSER !!! ;);):p:p:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Pics, please? :D

Granted!

I'm a bottle and a half of wine down so the quality of the photos may not be the best!

attachment.php?attachmentid=101780&d=1263077308
    attachment.php?attachmentid=101781&d=1263077320
    attachment.php?attachmentid=101782&d=1263077330

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

One one of the threads earlier in the week there was a link to a website with data from all the weather stations around the country on it, does anyone know what the website was? I forgot to add it to my favourites.

Some great info on these threads. Well done to all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Snowaddict wrote: »
    Firstly, that forecast, I would agree, was definitely pre-recorded because he would have mentioned the activity on the Irish Sea that is feeding into many Eastern districts at the moment.

Met Eireann have been relying on Hi-Res model Guidance. Both Hirlam and UKMO NAE have failed miserably in predicting this streamer activity this evening.

Regarding tomorrow, he is threading very carefully. I don't see any downgrade, there was no mention of marginality, even though that risk does still persist, especially later on tomorrow as discussed earlier. Certain factors may also override this, such as the cold pool being so embedded.

Otherwise, he was stammering excessively because he is under pressure at the moment. The public are firmly focused on the weather & Met Eireann. If they are over zealous in their predictions, people might get angry.

A decent forecast but could have been more comprehensive & certainly should have mentioned current developments on the Irish Sea.

SA :)
    +1 (x10^5)

To make matters even more interesting, the 3 hour model that Met Eireann use that was upgraded a year or so ago is consistently not putting the heaviest precipitation in the Dublin area. I feel that they should be using their extensive experience at this stage to make short term forecasts, and an ENE stream with -10 850mb temperatures is going to deliver even with pressure near 1030 mb like I commented yesterday. I'm suprised at the sheer extent by 10pm but it was obvious that the risk for Dublin would be greater than Louth, contrary to the 3 hr forecast. Pressure is lower in Dublin/East Meath and the cold pool is a bit more extensive further south with less IoM influence.

One other thing, is or was there snow falling over the Eagle's neck of the woods on the northside of Drogheda?? Any commentary on this would be very welcome:D

It seems like mid Louth and on into Meath are getting nice amounts this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Steopo wrote: »
    Seen the first proper snowman of the year in Donabate. Starting here again now - big bonus after rain & thaw of this morning

deadly,
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

Okay, we’re off again in Blackrock.

Blizzard just started.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Thanks to this forum I was able to pre warn the parents and some other who were there what was on the way .

I agree pistolpetes, I'm not sticking up for Met Eireann on this one if it was prerecorded or a rerun. That is a ridiculous thing to do. Just pointing out the pressure they are under, especially the ones who have to face the camera!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

t|nt|n wrote: »

me?! Well i never - i am quite appalled at your unkind words sir;)!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

snaps wrote: »

wind is getting up here in the isle of man,

and looking at the cloud cover for the next 1-3 hours we might get a bit of snow over night, so top half of ireland may get some, but im quite crap at forcasting:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

jenzz wrote: »
    I know but the front to come over them on over to us if defo coming up from Europe across UK & then bang smack ontop the leinster coast - This jazz tonight is just an appetiser ......:D:D

This Jazz tonight is making the roads in Bray lethal again, even the main roads that have been clear throughout this snowy period. Dropped my brother from work up to his girlfriends gaff near the top of the Boghall about 9:45. Boghall wasn't actually too bad because its flat, but trying to get up the Putland Hill on the way to the boghall was fun. Don't think my traction control light went out the whole climb. Knew I should have bought the Quattro instead of the frontwheel 2.0T Shimmy to the left...shimmy to the right...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

TommyT wrote: »
    One one of the threads earlier in the week there was a link to a website with data from all the weather stations around the country on it, does anyone know what the website was? I forgot to add it to my favourites.

http://www.irelandsweather.com/

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

cdev wrote: »
    We're gettin our fair share of south side dub snow up here in Kilternan. But we are up in the mountains so we might have an unfair advantage ;)

Just a smidge ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Pistolpetes if it gets really bad up here and you need your elderly relitives in Glenasmole looked in on or anything brought up to them give me a shout. I'M less than a mile away and have access to a 4x4 and a quad, so access is not a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

malman wrote: »
    Go have a look at the met.ie radar Jonny. You will see showers streching from north Wexford up to north Louth/south Down. But it is not one mass of cloud; it is like a patch work of clouds. The intensity of the showers seem to be concentrated around the Dublin. If you look at Meath it is very hit and miss. This is reflected in the nature of the posts.

edit: showers heading into north and south Meath but nothing in between i.e Navan.

And to illustrate it's not one mass of clouds, there's a big patch of clear sky over me at moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

snaps wrote: »
    where abouts in mayo are u snaps iam in castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

TommyT wrote: »

http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well some news for south coasters, the radar is now pepping up to our east and south
    We should join in the fun around the 1-2am mark!

I'd say the radio forecast tonight at 11:55 will be the one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

leahyl wrote: »
    me?! Well i never - i am quite appalled at your unkind words sir;)!

Oh no !! The multi-quote curse hit me there !!

My mother being a Cork woman would not approve of this

I humbly apologise miss :):):):)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

t|nt|n wrote: »

You may well have a sore head in the morning from the Snow Beer /Snow Wine ,but it will be a hell of a lot worse when I give your noggin a floggin with a beauty of a snowball my good man :D:p:D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭jds0ur

Booterstown is gettin hammered now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Cantonesque

Dare I say it... Blizzard in Lucan

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement