Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Freeze ( Saturday 9th January 2010 )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

enjoying the pics from Dublin, keep posting em lads and lassies

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Trying to snow here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Gonzo wrote: »
    snow shield holding steady in meath, looks like thats the way it will stay untill the snow hopefully arrives 2moro.

I'm a few miles south of you and it's been snowing lightly intermittently for a few hours now (1-2 cm on top of this morning's dump)- a few heavier bursts too with nice fluffy flakes. However, because of the Isle of Man many parts of Meath are completely missing out on what's hitting Dublin. Hope the wind changes direction slightly!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭jds0ur

Proper blizzard here now

hwwbxs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hard frost in Cork City tonight, freeeeeezing cold brrrrr!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Sorry to seem to be repeating other posts, but I'm very confused.

The snow that is now bucketing down in Dublin, Kildare, Wicklow etc., Is this what was expected to fall tomorrow, and has arrived early( and further north) than we thought?

Or is this a different lot of snow altogether?

Also, what time will tomorrows snow begin to hit the east coast - roughly, within a few hours? Some posts seem to think that it will not hit early?

Finally ( sorry to be dragging on a bit!!!) Is the snow tomorrow going to hit up near dublin and meath, or down wicklow and wexford? Or all over???:D

Thanks!!!:D

These are relatively insignificant brief showers coming in of the Irish sea. It is different from what is coming tomorrow. Tomorrow's showers will be more widespread and more prolonged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭alabamawhurley

Rougies wrote: »
    The city is about to get hammered again, especially southern half this time.

Why do you say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Brilliant forecast from Rob on the beeb
    Heavy persistent snow for nearly all of Ireland

has anyone got a link to it. i missed it but i heard he described the type of snow we'd get and how it would fall very gracefully. what i mean is wont be the typical kind of snow we get.

i really doubt the met eireann forecast tonight was recorded given what's due to come.
    regarding the eagle, i didn't envy his task. you could see the man was under pressure. it is a nightmare to forecast snow at anytime. no one knows for sure what will happen exactly over the next 24 hours, with this in mind if he ramped it up and we end up getting moderate amounts of snow he'll be damned. if he is goes for a conservative estimate based on his knowledge and what his experience tells him about this country's weather, and gets it wrong he'll be damned as well. it really is a no-win situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

leahyl wrote: »
    Just looked at the beeb forecast on the website and it looks really good for Cork - well the graphics show a lot of white anyway!:D

Watercork.. See.. Cork cant do teamwork. People's snowy republic and all that s**te :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Pistolpetes if it gets really bad up here and you need your elderly relitives in Glenasmole looked in on or anything brought up to them give me a shout. I'M less than a mile away and have access to a 4x4 and a quad, so access is not a problem.

That reply restores my faith in humanity. Well done, and we all should be offering similar, if we are in a position to do it.

Be safe out there. It is not pretty on the roads now in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Jds0ur, where was that photo taken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Latest fax for Sunday night has the front draped over the South
    This ties in with beeb and all the models that the South will see a lot of snow
    Eagle didn't even mention the south:rolleyes:

JanuarySnowstor you know your stuff so can i ask you where is the front that will hit us tomorrow at the moment? Will it hit the UK first? :confused:

jds0ur wrote: »
    Proper blizzard here now

hwwbxs.jpg

Oh my god that is absolutely brilliant jds0ur!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

The snowflakes are massive in Dublin 3 :eek:

if it carries on like this we are buggered lol

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

This is turning into a significant snowfall event in Eastern areas, especially Dublin now & accordingly a new warning update should be issued immediately by Met Eireann.

Folks on the ground there, what are your total fresh accumulations from this evening so far?

SA :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭typhooner

jds0ur wrote: »
    Proper blizzard here now

hwwbxs.jpg

EPIC!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Nothing major at the mo in maynooth but I'd estimate at least 2cm today in various falls (from build up on the car which I've had to clean off twice since this morning).
    Great thread, really enjoying it

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Cantonesque

Looks like there is plenty to follow

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Where was that photo taken?
    booterstown east coast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

A not very exciting picture, and sorry about the quality, but this is the driveway at the moment:

10wlaf9.jpg

Just highlighting the difference in snow level between the driveway and underneath the car, and the snow coming up around the bottom of the wheel - that's virtually all due to this evening's snow.

It's kind of funny seeing the eastern facing sides of tree trunks plastered with snow too, all the way down the trunk :)

edit - oh, and yeah, this is D15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Bucketing down in Kildare town. Very little wind. Pretty much coming straight down. Would post a pic but I'm too lazy/half pissed. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

I Will Glady Report A Small Flurrie Of Snow Here In Waterford City.

Hopefully Alot More To Come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Sitting back relaxing on a clear dry night at -3.0c Not a flake to be seen. Enjoying the Dublin and East comments. Glad ye got what u guys have been waiting so long for. Have fun !:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kopijacked

Huggles wrote: »
    The snowflakes are massive in Dublin 3 :eek:

if it carries on like this we are buggered lol

They are huge!!

I think a massive snow ball fight should be organised !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

leahyl wrote: »
    Oh my god that is absolutely brilliant jds0ur!:pac:

indeed!! i'm very jealous:D

Trotter wrote: »
    Watercork.. See.. Cork cant do teamwork. People's snowy republic and all that s**te :D

don't you mean THE PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CORK! Or it is also referred to as DE REAL CAPITAL LIKE! hehe:D!

I apologize - Watercork!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

No snow in Drogheda but the wind is starting to whistle down the chimney

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Snowaddict wrote: »
    This is turning into a significant snowfall event in Eastern areas, especially Dublin now & accordingly a new warning update should be issued immediately by Met Eireann.

Folks on the ground there, what are your total fresh accumulations from this evening so far?

SA :)

From Sallins, about 30km inland I just measured an extra 1.5 inches :D

indeed!! i'm very jealous:D

This is unreal over here, no stop for the last 15-20 mins

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Fear Sneachta

Nothing in Shankill, looks like a Northside event!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement