Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going home tomorrow

Options
  • 09-01-2010 6:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

Well, that's (almost) it from me in Australia. Great country, great food, nice people but not that many jobs, even for Australians. Hell even tradespeople are finding it difficult to get jobs in Brisbane, or so they tell me. Nah, it's home to freezing Ireland for me, friends, family and money are more important than a tan and a load of drink. Actually haven't got drunk over here once! Did try Goon though, wasn't too bad.

Anyway hope you all continue to enjoy yourselves over here, my girlfriend is working here for the next 3-5 months so I won't miss out on any news. The only negative thing I can say is that Australia is overrated by people who really should know better. Other then that I really like the place.

See you all in Ireland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Confab wrote: »
    See you all in Ireland.

Not me mate I'm here till they wheel me out in a box.

Hope it was good fun, do me a favour in the next few weeks sit in McDaid's, O'Donughues etc . Any decent Dublin Pub and have a pint of Guiness in essence that's all I miss.

After one night I would be over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Hi,

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself.

Hope you make it back to Oz someday.

Sounds a bit cold in Ireland at the moment, although the pics of the snow look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I'm sorry your stay in Australia was all about a tan and a load of drink, and that you didn't get to make friends or make money.

It's actually a fabulous country. Works out for some, though, and not others.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

safe trip home. At least you gave it a go and it was something different. Hopefully you will drop by this parish from time to time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'm sorry your stay in Australia was all about a tan and a load of drink, and that you didn't get to make friends or make money.

You took that up the wrong way. Easy mistake to make though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Zambia232 wrote: »

Hope it was good fun, do me a favour in the next few weeks sit in McDaid's, O'Donughues etc . Any decent Dublin Pub and have a pint of Guiness in essence that's all I miss.

After one night I would be over it.

Funny I was in O'Donughues for a quick pint on 28th December as I was staying in Dublin for a Night before flying out for New York early the next morning.... It good the place hasn't changed and you can still get a decent Pint of stout... but to be honest I was content enough that it would be at least a few years before I would have any inclination to go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 solas geal

Hi OP, glad you enjoyed your stay and safe home!

Australia is cool, nice country, lots to see and do. Glad you experienced it and are ready to head home.

A lot of Irish who stay over here seem to feel the need to defend it to the death, and so if you don't think that australia is the greatest place on earth you'll get comments on how you must have spent your whole time in a bar etc. (don't really know why they feel this need). It's also fashionable to say how crap Ireland is (when really it's uncannily similar with some sun thrown in).

So safe home and enjoy the party when you get home. I've been in touch with some recruitment agents in Dublin who have told me that things are picking up a bit so that's good for the job prospects!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

^lol agencies never ever tell the truth, EVER! They'll always tell ya they have "a few jobs we got in the last few days", but its all bollox.

but ye OP, too bad you couldnt stay any longer. Some people get lucky, others unlucky. Unfortunately you didnt find a job. Hope ya got to see most of Queensland though.

Enjoy the fresh packs of tayto and Eamon Dunphy anyway! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

You took that up the wrong way. Easy mistake to make though.

Ah - sorry, my bad - I thought when you said family and money was more important than a tan and a loada drink, that the tan and loada drink bit was all Oz had to offer.

Must be hyper-sensitive to anti-Oz bitterness, seeing it where there isn't any... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

Best of luck upon your return OP, You are probably well aware of how things are here, but jobs can come and go - recession or not.

You can always say you done it, and thats what its all about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Im sorry you couldnt make more of your experience in Australia but I hope you enjoyed it anyway

I love the place and hope to get citizenship some day. The sights, the sounds and basically that whole atmosphere there.

Peace and love to everyone

You the man Jonjo!!!

Haha nice one! I must have missed where he posted that! Its classic jonjo! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

I feel guility for not being near what little family I have but man I love New Zealand way too much to go home for a while yet. I was back in August for a quick visit and man it was terrible. Traffic in Dublin sucked as always, skangers fighting on O'Connell bridge, cops fighting drunks in Heuston, the train stank of piss then Portlaoise sucked way more then I ever rememeber. Probably anywhere I live after Wellington will be hard to compare to though. Ah well.

Good luck Confab!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Zambia232 wrote: »

:) Well said.
    solas geal wrote: »
    A lot of Irish who stay over here seem to feel the need to defend it to the death, and so if you don't think that australia is the greatest place on earth you'll get comments on how you must have spent your whole time in a bar etc. (don't really know why they feel this need). It's also fashionable to say how crap Ireland is (when really it's uncannily similar with some sun thrown in).

Dont know if its fashionable as much as it is true. Of course people will say life back home sucks- IT DOES. Our cost of living sucks. Our economy sucks. Our nightclubs generally suck. We havent had anything half resembling summer weather since 2006. All I miss from Ireland is a drunken greasy Abrakebabra and one or two other things. Living in Ireland is physically and mentally unhealthy these days. Think about it this way- pretty much every Irish person here extends their visa to 2nd year. A sizeable proportion of them will stay illegal. How many illegal or even 2nd year French, Germans etc etc have you met? None- they can have their little holiday and go home to a country with a guaranteed summer and, in the case of Germany, a good club scene that doesnt break the wallet.The vast majority of Irish I know here arent a backpackeras such, they are here holding on for dear life desperate not to return home. Dont know why the DIAC are clamping down on us. We do jobs Aussies cant be arsed doing, pretty much all of our money stays within the country due to being poured back into the coffers of Tooheys and Carlton, the vast majority of us claim zero state benefits, essentially Australia would be doing worse without us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

shane86 wrote: »

We do jobs Aussies cant be arsed doing,

Thanks,but I think that's the Indians have that honour now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Dont know if its fashionable as much as it is true. Of course people will say life back home sucks- IT DOES.
    How do you know about every person in Australia and their life back home? YOUR life sucked there. Mine certainly didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I agree. it's too easy to say Ireland is **** as a statement of fact. Different people want different things out of the place they live

It actually took going to Oz to make me realise how much I take for granted here

Oz is good for an extended holiday, but I definately wouldnt live there permanently

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I'm another 'Not unless its an Oak box' people, and even then I'm not sure if I'd rather be burried here or at home, not all that bothered on the Bibi Baskin option:D:D

And whats this We do the Jobs they dont want sh1te

we do the Jobs they CANT in a lot of cases and in the rest we just do them better;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

It's a shame that a lot people feel they need to choose to like one or the other.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    It's a shame that a lot people feel they need to choose to like one or the other.

Good point, maybe its cos they can only choose one place to live and in order for it to make sense, they must highlight the negative of one place over another. Pity its so far away - but would that take away its highlights is it wasn't?

• Advertisement

Theres a new plane coming out at the end of the year that can do a direct Oz to germany flight with no stopovers. It goes faster so takes less time, obviously! That could close the distance on the two countries! The Boeing 787 Dreamliner, I think its called.

I think the dreamliner will be capable of doing london to Oz without stopover as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

Well, that's (almost) it from me in Australia. Great country, great food, nice people but not that many jobs, even for Australians. Hell even tradespeople are finding it difficult to get jobs in Brisbane, or so they tell me. Nah, it's home to freezing Ireland for me, friends, family and money are more important than a tan and a load of drink. Actually haven't got drunk over here once! Did try Goon though, wasn't too bad.

Anyway hope you all continue to enjoy yourselves over here, my girlfriend is working here for the next 3-5 months so I won't miss out on any news. The only negative thing I can say is that Australia is overrated by people who really should know better. Other then that I really like the place.

See you all in Ireland.

It really is cold here right now, be prepared for a shock. Also take a looooonng bath before you leave, we may have no water left when you get back (ironic, I know).
    Though supposed to thaw at the weekend, so not so bad.
    myhorse wrote: »
    safe trip home. At least you gave it a go and it was something different. Hopefully you will drop by this parish from time to time

Different from the thousands who have done exactly the same thing?

Have the agree with some of the other posts, there seems to be 2 camps - 1. Australia is heaven on earth, Ireland is a cesspit or 2. Australia is so over rated, the people are knobs and Ireland really is the most special country on earth.

I lean more to the 2nd camp, I have been to Australia twice, and while I really liked it, I wasn't blown away. There are other far better places to go.

Svalbard wrote: »
    It really is cold here right now, be prepared for a shock. Also take a looooonng bath before you leave, we may have no water left when you get back (ironic, I know).
    Though supposed to thaw at the weekend, so not so bad.

Different from the thousands who have done exactly the same thing?

Have the agree with some of the other posts, there seems to be 2 camps - 1. Australia is heaven on earth, Ireland is a cesspit or 2. Australia is so over rated, the people are knobs and Ireland really is the most special country on earth.

I lean more to the 2nd camp, I have been to Australia twice, and while I really liked it, I wasn't blown away. There are other far better places to go.

Where are they? If so have you lived/been to said places? I ask this as I have been to Oz twice, going back again soon.

Beachband wrote: »
    Where are they? If so have you lived/been to said places? I ask this as I have been to Oz twice, going back again soon.

I preferred Germany, Argentina, the USA, Canada and Thailand personally. But thats just me.

I preferred Germany, Argentina, the USA, Canada and Thailand personally. But thats just me.

Fair enough, I would prefer in a way to go back to India, only the language would probably pose a problem second time around.

Beachband wrote: »
    Fair enough, I would prefer in a way to go back to India, only the language would probably pose a problem second time around.

You could learn it.
    Anywho English is widely spoken in India. The world is your oyster Beachband.

You could learn it.
    Anywho English is widely spoken in India. The world is your oyster Beachband.
    Your right Svalbard, the last time though I was in India, I was in a compound, had a driver etc. Those luxuries are no more, so it would be a bit more difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

CiaranC wrote: »
    How do you know about every person in Australia and their life back home? YOUR life sucked there. Mine certainly didnt.

So why are you here?

I think most peoples definition of a sh1t life would involve no summer for 3 years, mass unemployment, absoloute clowns in government, doing nothing better between Monday and Thursday than watching sh1te on tv and 10 dollar pints.

Dont get me wrong, if we had a decent summer, decent nightclubs and 3.20 euro pints down the pub then yes, Id prefer back home and all. Over here I barely watch tv and cant remember the last time I was arsed smoking a spliff, theres alot more to do with your evenings than waste away like back home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭fontinalis

Dont know if its fashionable as much as it is true. Of course people will say life back home sucks- IT DOES. Our cost of living sucks. Our economy sucks. Our nightclubs generally suck. We havent had anything half resembling summer weather since 2006. All I miss from Ireland is a drunken greasy Abrakebabra and one or two other things. Living in Ireland is physically and mentally unhealthy these days. Think about it this way- pretty much every Irish person here extends their visa to 2nd year. A sizeable proportion of them will stay illegal. How many illegal or even 2nd year French, Germans etc etc have you met? None- they can have their little holiday and go home to a country with a guaranteed summer and, in the case of Germany, a good club scene that doesnt break the wallet.The vast majority of Irish I know here arent a backpackeras such, they are here holding on for dear life desperate not to return home. Dont know why the DIAC are clamping down on us. We do jobs Aussies cant be arsed doing, pretty much all of our money stays within the country due to being poured back into the coffers of Tooheys and Carlton, the vast majority of us claim zero state benefits, essentially Australia would be doing worse without us.

Don't think they see it that way.
    http://news.ie.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=151724735

Advertisement