Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dropped External Hard Drive not working now

• 09-01-2010 8:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Ok have a western digita external and i dropped it when i plug it into the comp it beeps but wont show up on the my computer part but it does show up on the properites as a mass usb storage.

Im not sure wether its me or if there is a strange low noise but not positive. is there any way this memory can be saved or the details on it at least

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

It sounds like its fecked unfortunately. I think it costs about €400 to retrieve info from a dead drive and at that you might not get everything back.

The same thing happen to me. The thing fell about two foot onto carpet. After that it would power up but wouldn't appear as a drive and made a repeating low droning noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Ah fuke it anyway. Stupid considering these tings are bought as to keep the info from ur comp breaking down. so just bin it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I know and they're so cheap now too. I've two 500 gigs, one is storage the other one to back it up every couple of months.

I lost my first hard drive 9 years ago. I had music I created on it thats gone forever. I still regret it. If you've really important stuff on it like photographs, it may be worth spending the money to get it recovered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Erbium

The data you had is still on it. Probably should try and fix it before dumping it.
    Anyway if you plan on upgrading, I suggest SSD & RAID implementation. Gl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

think of a portable hard drive like a brief case, a way to move files from a to b.

Too many times have i been called to people that thought of them as a safe.

Op pull the thing apart and you will find a normal pc hard drive inside it, try plugging this directly into your pc. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

only have a laptop mate i dont think it wil work because of the noise ive tried it in a different laptop and same problem. very strange considering its showing as a mass usb storage device.

between my dishwasher going 2 days ago then this yesterday then washer dryer 5 mins ago my head is wrecked

Advertisement