Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

frozen water pipes

Options
  • 09-01-2010 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

:confused:last night i noticed the water was dribbling from the tap.i filled as many containers up with water as i could for fear of the taps freezing up alltogether.i live in rahoon.anyone else got frozen pipes.any tips of what to do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Same prob here...filled bath, has icicles in it! Our bath is way away from the main house so is a wee bit colder! Any advice please?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Leave your attic door open and turn the heating up for a few hours.
    The heat from downstairs will thaw the pipes hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

ISNT IT THE MAINS COMMING INTO THE HOUSE?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,491 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

biffoman wrote: »
    ISNT IT THE MAINS COMMING INTO THE HOUSE?

That's what I presumed too.

The pipes in the ground outside the house are frozen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭haines35

Most water freeze at the stopcock(due to it being brass),if you can locate that pour copious amounts of boiling water on it,shoud free it,also if you have an outside tap beside the kitchen sink its probably mains fed,this can cause the freezing also.

• Advertisement

The mains is in the ground so probably not frozen.
    Try the attic door open and heat on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭haines35

It will freeze at kitchen sink first,
    before the feed goes up to the attic.

cheers people im going to try both the open attic +the boiling water trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

cheers people im going to try both the open attic +the boiling water trick.

any luck? same problem here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Magnus wrote: »
    The mains is in the ground so probably not frozen.
    Try the attic door open and heat on.

Waste of time.
    This would only work if the opening to the attic was directly under the water tanks and pipes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Tried dousing the stopcock this morning, going to give it one last go as I don't think we're going to see a thaw at all before the middle of next week. :( Going to go at it with a sponge and boiling water. There's no sound of moving water out there at all so hopefully it is the stopcock and I'm not risking my pregnant ass for nothing on the ice.

It doesn't feel too cold outside but the watering can out the back is pretty much frozen solid and it wasn't before all this fun began.

EDIT -

Well it's not the stopcock as the neighbour has their water so it's somewhere between there and the house :(

This is not fun, hopefully the baby will stay inside for another week or so.

I located out stopcock out on the road, its deep, pipes terminate about a foof and a half down, would not be able to get at it and I fear chucking water down there would just make the problem worse.

Don't worry it will drain away, otherwise it would fill up everytime it rains. Worth a shot dnme. Hope you have better luck than me.

Just started snowing here now. Never thought I'd feel sad seeing it snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I have the same trouble with frozen pipes somewhere between the mains and the house. I'm pretty certain our stopcock is free so the only other place we have brass is a t-piece out the back of the house under a couple of feet of concrete. I've tried a long shot of using a kerosene heater under a turf cover to try thaw it out. Otherwise I will be up **** creek with frozen pipes eventually bursting.

dnme wrote: »
    any luck? same problem here
    no luck.the attic door has being open a good few hrs now +i poured warm water over the outside tap including the stopcock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

no luck.the attic door has being open a good few hrs now +i poured warm water over the outside tap including the stopcock.

Try a serious amount of boiling boiling, getting a slow drip here now so fingers crossed.

im doing just that frank.heres hoping one of us gets back on supply at least.

The weather man said the ground across the country is frozen to a foot deep.

Waste of time.
    This would only work if the opening to the attic was directly under the water tanks and pipes.
    I know what you mean but it worked for this guy
    A lot of people are now experiencing problems with frozen pipes in their attics.

A simple way to prevent this is to leave your attic door open!

It happened to us this morning. A couple of hours with the heating full on soon fixed the problem.

This will also reduce the chances of pipes bursting and eventually flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

great...how long will that take to thaw?

Without water since Tuesday night, and strongly suspecting the mains to be frozen or some other problem - water came and went very unpredictably...(didnt have water around new years, then back for last weekend, and now it's gone again...)

• Advertisement

I live in garage apt at the back of a main house. The folks in the main house have water so the problem lies in the underground pipe that travels from the house to my apt.

I have no stopcock coming into the apt that is accessable. Also no valve under kitchen sink. I reckon the pipe in the ground is frozen.

Edit: Also have no car, as fuel system needs to be rebuilt so its in pieces, and I live 2 miles outside Athenry so I'm starting to feel a little vulnerable right now.

Current forecasts are saying Monday will be the first day to stay above zero in the daylight. Supposed to be better again Tuesday and Wednesday. We're relying on the ground temp getting up a bit to thaw the pipe going up to the house. Hopefully the deeper soil will irradiate some heat though. Sick of bathing in the sink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

According to BBC weather at - http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209 theres a pile of snow coming on Tue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Das Kitty wrote: »
    . Hopefully the deeper soil will irradiate some heat though. Sick of bathing in the sink!

If you think you know where the pipe is buried then scrape ALL snow and white ice off in the morning, dark ground absorbs sunlight where white ground reflects it and never heats up at all. If the pipe is on the north side of the house then tough until we get a a good thaw.

According to BBC weather at - http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209 theres a pile of snow coming on Tue.

Not in Galway, it will fall as ( maybe freezing ) rain initially and eventually as real rain later tuesday.

The GALWAY 5 day weather forecast from the BBC is HERE

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/2299?&search=galway&itemsPerPage=10&region=world

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Had no water since Monday lunch time. Its the pipes coming into the house alright because it was the water in the kitchen sink that went first. I could still use the hot water and the bathroom taps until all that was used up. Houses both sides of me are OK and the ones 2 doors away in each direction have no water.

vulcan57 wrote: »
    Houses both sides of me are OK and the ones 2 doors away in each direction have no water.

Rig a hose from the ones that HAVE water to the attic tanks of the ones that have NO water and fill the main cold tanks in the attics one by one ( which should fill the hot water tanks too). Then disconnect the hoses and empty them of water and store indoors where they are warm.

B and Q have lots of garden hoses on reels that will do the trick nicely, get up there now if they are open.

Also ensure there is a bit of water in the expansion tank in the attic ( the small one) so your central heating works.

Draining the whole system clean is _really_ stupid. Don't do that again. Once water stops coming in you must conserve what you have.

im gona fill my tank up from next doors tap.it means running a hose up to the attic.it should get us by for a few days and hopefully it will warm up a bit between now and then.fingers crossed.
    just saw what you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

this has gone beyond a joke now havent had water since 29th. driving me crazy. was like a mad woman today after reading this had the hairdryer on under d sink and pouring boiling water on outside tap. no good. gonna try it again tomo tho.

we arent too bad as we have a gym to go to for showers but heat is dodgy and getting sick of having to go to friends houses looking for water. I'm afraid theres is gonna go and it'll be my fault for using all of theres!

is that 5 day forcast right? gonna be better from Tuesday??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Advertisement