Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fog horn

Options
  • 09-01-2010 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

Is that a fog horn I hear right now? Intermittent for the last 10-20 minutes or so?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Indeed it is. Interesting times down here at the docks!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,492 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I thought it was my neighbours alarm vibrating. Was banging their ceiling !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Anybody else aware of a foghorn noise going off in the city for the last half hour or so? I'm in Shantalla and I can hear it. Sounds like a ships horn but I grew up in Foynes and never heard any ship do this for more than a few minutes.

Anybody shed any light?

Feel free to merge my thread :p

what's going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

my girlfriend said it was our pipes.i told her it was a fog horn.she called me a randy fecker...i got back into bed,YAHOOOO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Funny post, made me giggle, thanks, first time in days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AluraRed

They just mentioned it on GBFM, said it was indeed a foghorn, warning incoming boats to take care.

JUST ON A WEE BREAK FROM U NO WHAT..im in rahoon and can hear it clear as fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Biffoman please mind your txt spk and caps in this forum.

Noise seems to have stopped now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

its been going off since at least 8 this morning. Haven't heard it before in galway and ive been here a long time. Used to here them regularly in cornwall. Must be bad as i thought they didn't use them any more. Seems to have stopped now as i write this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭lovelyhome

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭happyoutish

In my lifetime I have never heard them using the foghorn before.. Its kinda cool in a weird kinda way.. :D

your a tad petty .

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

That foghorn woke me up! Safe passage to all heading into and out of the docks today.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭shaggykev

i could here it out at by glen dara- was walking through the fog this morning to town and it was getting louder and louder

assumed it was coming from the docks but the more it went on for and the fact i couldnt see 3 foot ahead because of the fog, for all i knew it could of been a scene from war of the worlds

a big giant spaceship could of been destroying the city as i was walking straight into it

I was on my guard just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭NauP

it was loud and clear in Barna

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

So that's what that was, b*stard woke me up - ruined my Saturday morning lie-in:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

It was the Oil Tanker Forth Fisher, they are legally obliged to blow the Fog horn when at anchor in heavy fog as a warning to any other vessel in the area that is not equipped with Radar to avoid a collision.

Pic of her here : http://www.galwayships.com/tankers/Forth%20Fisher%2021-03-04%20No%201.html

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I thought it was my heating making a new and scary sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Steyr wrote: »
    It was the Oil Tanker Forth Fisher, they are legally obliged to blow the Fog horn when at anchor in heavy fog as a warning to any other vessel in the area that is not equipped with Radar to avoid a collision.

Pic of her here : http://www.galwayships.com/tankers/Forth%20Fisher%2021-03-04%20No%201.html

Why can't they use Facebook?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

sound carries further in fog. thats why it was so clear in so many areas, i remember hearing it in my youth down around the docks and in rossaveal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

As a person involved in sailing I can tell you there is no Fog Horn in Galway port, as stated above it was an oil tanker at anchor off Salthill that was blowing its own horn as they must do when at anchor or underway in heavy fog, they do this to alert smaller vessels such as fishing boats etc that may not have radar and it gives the other boats a rough direction of where the ship is so they can avoid it.

The oil tanker docked in Galway this morning around 11 am

Hope this helps

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Speaking of the freezing frogs, did anyone happen to go down by the prom yesterday? Had to get something signed in the Garda station. It was fecking cool, you could only see about 200m out into the bay and the sun was shining through from behind making it glisten and sparkle. One of the most lovely sights I've ever seen, was thinking I should have brought the camera but I doubt it would have picked it up properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I'm kind of sorry I slept through the auditory excitement now. I hate to miss a first.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I can hear it again today and it made me think of this thread.

Edit:stopped now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

I immediately thought of this upon reading the thread title:

B00004CJGG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Heard it a little while ago too, which is apt due to the dose of fog outside!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I immediately thought of this upon reading the thread title:
    I did, I say, I did too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

That fog horn was from the oil tanker "Forth Fisher" that left Galway docks this morning, in thick fog they will sound the horn at regular times so that small trawlers etc that dont have radar are aware of the ships presence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

I remember being woken up by that sound regularly as a kid growing up in Salthill. Except it was often much earlier in the AM. I cursed at it quietly so my parents wouldn't give out.

But Today!, today was different. I said "**** you fog horn, I'm already awake, mya!".

Advertisement