Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fog horn

Options
2»

Comments

I heard it at the roundabout down by GMIT today. Though it was pretty eerie in the fog.

I could hear it in Parkmore. Thought it might be a foghorn but didn't think the noise would carry that far from the docks, thanks to this thread I know different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

well what else did ya all think it was!!!

after all there was heavy fog late last night and this morning :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Heard one last week sometime, bohermore area. Sounded like a bomb alert!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Some years ago before they got pagers and such like the fire station used to use a kind of wailing siren or air horn to alert on call fire brigade staff. The more noise it made the worse the call

Westgolf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Storm 10 wrote: »
    That fog horn was from the oil tanker "Forth Fisher" that left Galway docks this morning, in thick fog they will sound the horn at regular times so that small trawlers etc that dont have radar are aware of the ships presence.

You may have mentioned that 10 months and 3 days ago. Same ship too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

what the ****ity ****, I heard this before while leaving on merchants road but didn't think it would disturb my sleep in Rahoon, was so ****ing pissed off this morning with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

I immediately thought of this upon reading the thread title:

B00004CJGG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Heard it a little while ago too, which is apt due to the dose of fog outside!

Cue hour of watching foghorn leghorn clips...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Storm 10 wrote: »
    As a person involved in sailing I can tell you there is no Fog Horn in Galway port, as stated above it was an oil tanker at anchor off Salthill that was blowing its own horn as they must do when at anchor or underway in heavy fog, they do this to alert smaller vessels such as fishing boats etc that may not have radar and it gives the other boats a rough direction of where the ship is so they can avoid it.

The oil tanker docked in Galway this morning around 11 am

Hope this helps

AIS FTW :D

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

It's a beautiful sad and lowly sound.

Agree with Biko there, his right. Sorry, I mean he's right. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement