Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Birmingham v Man Utd (Mod warning #112)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

IvySlayer wrote: »
    :confused:

Dominating a match at the home ground of one of the most inform teams with the best defence in the league without a good few key players and getting a point out of it is garbage?

You have to be joking, your keeper and poor Birmingham finishing was the only thing that kept you in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

You might want to re-watch the replay.

You might want to check the offside rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    lol wat

Utd won 1 - 1, I'd imagine Ferguson is delighted with that result. As for the performance though...different story.

OK maybe dominating is a little strong, but United had far more possession, shots on target and corners.

It just frustrates me when people don't see United winning 3 - 0 they call the performance ****.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

CHD wrote: »
    Only responding to his wild accusations. I'm done with it! He can PM me to talk like I said :)

Anyway, the match.... 1-1 draw I think.
    [ ] Troll

[X] Genius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭fkt

The goal was a goal, correct decision from the referee in the end.

If a player intervenes and is offside then the whistle must be blown. Rooneys presence led to the defender intervene with the ball.

CHD wrote: »
    [ ] Troll

[X] Genius

Good lover?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

did fergie give an interview?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Mr Alan wrote: »

Giving it now.

Probably another fine/ban for what he said about Clattenburg.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Mr Alan wrote: »

just now, utd 'totally dominated' the game:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

fkt wrote: »
    You might want to check the offside rule.
    Once again, you should watch a replay before embarrassing yourself any further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

fkt wrote: »
    Wrong? I'm wrong? Do you know the offside rule?

do you? United player was in line. If any part of him was ahead it was his arm - and you can not legally score with your arm so that would not be offside anyway.

It simply was not offside - ref made the right call.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

copacetic wrote: »
    just now, utd 'totally dominated' the game:D

Very soft sending off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

Game stats for anyone interested:

Possession
    Birmingham 33% Man Utd 67%
    Attempts on target
    Birmingham 5 Man Utd 10
    Attempts off target
    Birmingham 1 Man Utd 4
    Corners
    Birmingham 2 Man Utd 12
    Fouls
    Birmingham 10 Man Utd 13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

OK maybe dominating is a little strong, but United had far more possession, shots on target and corners.

It just frustrates me when people don't see United winning 3 - 0 they call the performance ****.

Stats are the last refuge of the sporting scoundrel sometimes. One team had the better of this tie, and they weren't wearing red Jerseys.

Though I do agree with your sentiments regarding the standard perception of football fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Trizo wrote: »
    Game stats for anyone interested:

Possession
    Birmingham 33% Man Utd 67%
    Attempts on target
    Birmingham 5 Man Utd 10
    Attempts off target
    Birmingham 1 Man Utd 4
    Corners
    Birmingham 2 Man Utd 12
    Fouls
    Birmingham 10 Man Utd

"Oh yeah? Well, you can prove anything with facts. can't you?" - Stewart Lee.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Birmingham are a tough side to play against,they are a very ugly side and their 12 match unbeaten run is a reflection of the serious drop in standards in the EPL.
    Birmingham are a very limited side .
    Utd are really struggling to break down teams that sit back and get 9 men behind the ball at most times.
    Rooney in particular is shown up when he is closely marked and denied space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Mad_Max wrote: »
    Giving it now.

Probably another fine/ban for what he said about Clattenburg.

not likely, they only like to take action once over 2,342 times he does it.

Good lover?
    Like I stated earlier I'm straight. Sorry! Try the George.

nullzero wrote: »

"im not proving anything thems are the stats from the game for anyone thats interested =" problem ? have you ?

°°°°°

Stats are the last refuge of the sporting scoundrel sometimes. One team had the better of this tie, and they weren't wearing red Jerseys.

Though I do agree with your sentiments regarding the standard perception of football fans.

This was, as the cliche goes, a game of two halves.
    Birmingham defended valiantly in the frist half, but were ultimately quite lucky not to concede, and twice as lucky to score againt a shambolic United defence.

In the second half Birmingham realised they could take the game to United and conceded an unfortunate own goal.

Over the course of the game a draw was fair.
    United were terrible by their standards and Birmingham ultimatley didn't have what it took to finish off a United side that played 6 minutes of injury time with ten men.

Neither side were amazing and certainly didn't warrant three points.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Trizo wrote: »
    "im not proving anything thems are the stats from the game for anyone thats interested =" problem ? have you ?

I was being disingenuous.
    The stats contradicted the anti United sentiment quite conclusivly.
    I wasn't having a go.

Glazers Out!

I was being disingenuous.
    The stats contradicted the anti United sentiment quite conclusivly.
    I wasn't having a go.

apologies realised that after the post :)

United played OK I thought. They beat the leagues best defence atm. They got a point out of the toughest place to go atm with some key players out. And they managed to do it while playing with 10 men (although for like 8 minutes + injury time :pac:)

I just don't see it as a bad performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

What about proving that you can't prove anything with facts.
    Can you prove that with facts?:confused:

Circular logic.

A major problem for Utd is that if Rooney has a quiet game/is effectively marked, there really isn't anyone else in the team who could be described as a consistent game-winner.

°°°°°

What about proving that you can't prove anything with facts.
    Can you prove that with facts?:confused:

Circular logic.

A major problem for Utd is that if Rooney has a quiet game/is effectively marked, there really isn't anyone else in the team who could be described as a consistent game-winner.

Watch this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n-UGQcG3Jw

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

No more Park please, kinda glad I'm home already.

Mind = Blown

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Fair play to Brum, was very disappionted after we dropped points earlier but dont feel so bad now.

°°°°°

Mind = Blown

He's a great comedian, very under rated imo.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

He's a great comedian, very under rated imo.

One of the best of the past decade.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

RasTa wrote: »
    One of the best of the past decade.

41st in the world E4 reckons;)

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Just watching the highlights, how did Scoles not even give away a free kick for that kick on Benítez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

it must be a sad state of affairs when giggs and scholes are making the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Ugh, I knew the minute I saw that we were putting out a "Mighty Ducks Flying V" midfield formation, that we weren't going to get too much out of that game. We saw in the Leeds game that that formation does not work. It's so messy and painful to watch.

Add that to Birmingham's defensive style of play and that was one crappy match to watch.

:D
    Love it tbh

mars bar wrote: »
    Ugh, I knew the minute I saw that we were putting out a "Mighty Ducks Flying V" midfield formation, that we weren't going to get too much out of that game. We saw in the Leeds game that that formation does not work. It's so messy and painful to watch.

Add that to Birmingham's defensive style of play and that was one crappy match to watch.

Great description.

So is the general feeling that Fergie got it wrong in terms of formation yesterday?

I thought going 4-5-1 played right into Birmingham's hands from the start.

I'd imagine Michael Owen is a rather unhappy camper today given Diouf was brought on and he was left on the bench. A spot on the plane to South Africa looks to be moving out of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Great description.

So is the general feeling that Fergie got it wrong in terms of formation yesterday?

I'd imagine Michael Owen is a rather unhappy camper today given Diouf was brought on and he was left on the bench. A spot on the plane to South Africa looks to be moving out of view.

Why did he bother with Owen at all if he's not going to use him. I think he was hoping for a Macheda moment from Diouf.

4-5-1 was a poor decision same as going 3 at the back against Fulham was a poor decision.

Yet again Fergie attacks the officials: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5850539,00.html

Broken record Fergie, time you had a look at your own faults this season.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

deisedevil wrote: »

Never has a truer word been spoken!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,012 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Great description.

I thought the formation was fine, the players were the problem. As I said yesterday, Park did not help out Evra when he got forward. Valencia was isolated for much of the game receiving no support whatsoever from Rafael.
    Even with those problems United still managed to dominate the first half. The problem is the wide players did not spread out Birmingham enough and its down to Park and Rafael imo.
    Michael Owen is useful when United are ahead, his pace and accuracy can be used when the other team have to come out of their own box. That game never was suited to him yesterday. United need a targetman, I said they should have bought Heskey last January, they need somebody like that to help them open up tight defenses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

eagle eye wrote: »
    I thought the formation was fine, the players were the problem. As I said yesterday, Park did not help out Evra when he got forward. Valencia was isolated for much of the game receiving no support whatsoever from Rafael.
    Even with those problems United still managed to dominate the first half. The problem is the wide players did not spread out Birmingham enough and its down to Park and Rafael imo.
    Michael Owen is useful when United are ahead, his pace and accuracy can be used when the other team have to come out of their own box. That game never was suited to him yesterday. United need a targetman, I said they should have bought Heskey last January, they need somebody like that to help them open up tight defenses.

They didn't get help because the formation meant that they were really high up the pitch. Valencia might as well have just stood beside Rooney for the whole match. I don't think Park actually understood the formation.

It's not all down to the formation though, the lads just don't have the bite in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

mars bar wrote: »
    They didn't get help because the formation meant that they were really high up the pitch. Valencia might as well have just stood beside Rooney for the whole match. I don't think Park actually understood the formation.

It's not all down to the formation though, the lads just don't have the bite in them.

That's racist.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

my 2 cents...

utd huffed and puffed in terms of their play in the attacking third a lot yesterday, without ever really carving Birmingham open, apart from a Rooney chance in the first half.

Brum stuck to their gameplan, and it worked.

Jerome and Chucho are a hell of a handful, with Evans and Brown never looking comfortable at all.

this is a very odd season. teams, by and large, are more resilient than ever, and utd really are missing that special something for these kinds of games. so much rests on Rooney's shoulders, it's frightening at times. much like Liverpool with Torres in a lot of ways.

Owen's lack of game time is baffling too.

A good point for Birmingham, but dare I say it was a pretty good point for Utd too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Why did he bother with Owen at all if he's not going to use him. I think he was hoping for a Macheda moment from Diouf.

4-5-1 was a poor decision same as going 3 at the back against Fulham was a poor decision.

Yet again Fergie attacks the officials: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5850539,00.html

What he says in public and private I'd wager are very different things.
    john47832 wrote: »
    introspective Fergie - not a chance, he just reaches for another bottle of whisky

What a crock of shíte.

He's been the best manager in British football ever. That didn't happen without a capacity for introspection. He's not going to plaster his real thoughts all over the media though, because that would be retarded.

We were poor yesterday, but not in the usual way. We weren't really dominated anywhere, the only problem was up front. We were playing through the flanks all game, but with fcuk all coherence in the bits I saw.

Plenty of good runs from Rafael, Valencia and Evra, but never in concert with each other. As well as that, Rooney's not a bloody targetman. He's short. You cannot just cross the ball into him constantly. That's where Berbatov excels. He's got an awesome first touch, power and height. Rooney has all of those but the height, and it was crucial weakness yesterday.

Fergie is too old now for the job now and should leave with some dignity left if possible, if a younger more in touch manager was in charge utd might still have ronaldo playing, the team just hasnt improved this season and its the sole responsibility of the manager to improve the team - blaming officials is childish at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

• Advertisement

Fergie is too old now for the job now and should leave with some dignity left if possible, if a younger more in touch manager was in charge utd might still have ronaldo playing, the team just hasnt improved this season and its the sole responsibility of the manager to improve the team - blaming officials is childish at this stage

one question, and one question only...

are you serious?

the modern football fan.

wow.

You have to be kidding me. He's made a few mistakes this season but we're still second in the league. He's not done yet, every time someone says Fergies finished they get proven wrong time and time again.

I'm sick of listening to Fergie rant about officials too but he's just trying to create distractions from the real problems.

I'm sick of listening to Fergie rant about officials too but he's just trying to create distractions from the real problems.

i agree - the real problem being HIMSELF

did you not see the rest of his post?

he does it to distract attention away from the real problems.

all managers do it.

you think he'd have been moaning about the time and the officials if his team had won?

of course not.

Not completely down to him but some of it is yes. But are you really one of those who likes to see a manager ousted as soon as things start to slip a bit?
    Have you any idea of Fergies history at Man Utd and how he started off?

Complete lack of respect for the man and poor judgement to suggest he should be fired and anyways it aint gonna happen, not until he wants it to happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement