Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I buy bags of Salt

Options
  • 09-01-2010 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭

I would like to salt the pavement outside an elderly neighbours house and was wondering if anyone knows any place that sells large bags of salt.
    Failing that, what is a good alternative?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mick0mick0

BandQ is selling 25kg bags ring before going there as there selling quick

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭happyoutish

You might get some in B&Q or some garden centre perhaps.. I think I heard my boss saying her daughter got some in Joyces in Knocknacarra couldn't be 100% on that (i hardly listen to my boss haha..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Various centra outlets were selling six kilo tubs of salt for about a fiver. Dunno if they'd still have them but it might be worth a look??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Woodies in Tralee in Kerry are selling grit for 2.99 for a bag of it, so if you have a woodies near you try it and you might be able to get one. I used it myself and its good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭yourmano

Ashes work, messy but work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,491 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

B&Q op.

A question someone asked me yesterday.

If you salt outside your house and someone walks on it thinking it's safe to do so, could you be liable if they fall and injure themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Ive heard the same as you rarnes1. I know someone who wont grit the path outside their home as it is council 'property' or whatever. Terrified someone would slip and they be liable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

I know we have all heard the stories about the claim culture.... but does anyone know anyone who has actually been sued in cases like this, or anyone who has similarly sued someone else?

Could they be urban legends/fears?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Of course it'll happen. They probably won't set out initially to sue the householder. Someone somewhere will slip, injure something and consult a solicitor about litigating against the council. When they find out that a private individual could be liable they're unlikely to stop. There are plenty of solicitors out there in need of the work.

I'm reminded of the Cross St. Supermacs incident where someone was captured on CCTV deliberately wetting the floor in the toilets then pretending to slip. There's always someone...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Won't somebody think of the poor defenceless slugs?!! They'll be cut off from amenity's or worse by all this salt.
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    If you salt outside your house and someone walks on it thinking it's safe to do so, could you be liable if they fall and injure themselves?
    Probably. It makes no sense so it sounds like an Irish law.

• Advertisement

They probably won't set out initially to sue the householder.
    I have to correct myself on this one. Apparently the TV stations have already had personal injury solicitors on their reports pointing out that the householder could be liable. Expect that small percentage of the population to be walking around looking for paths that someone cleared with boiling water and have now become iced.

I checked online and spotted a few Irish solicitors websites that have mentioned poorly cleared snow/ice.

People might like to know that the council has offered grit to residents associations.... http://www.galwaynews.ie/10587-city-residents-get-grit

This http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1995/en/act/pub/0010/index.html#zza10y1995 seems to suggest that the occupier is liable if they don't make it safe.... so then not gritting makes occupiers liable, but then again if it is still not safe (if someone slips) then you are still liable. Its hard to read legal statutes though so I may have misunderstood. Plus there might be a more recent statute which I havent found yet.

The public footpath wouldn't be part of the owner's property and wouldn't be covered by occupiers liability. As pointed out above, a member of the public would only become liable in some way if they made an attempt to clear the public path that was later deemed unsatisfactory.

I was talking about footpaths on private property....

Sorry to get off topic, but as council are liable for public footpaths why do they make no effort to clear them?

Personanally I wouldn't be clearing anything outside my immediate property.

ie. Footpaths outside the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The Minister John Gormley was on RTE News at 1pm and said that its untrue that a householder could be sued if someone fell outside their house.
    He said he got legal advice this morning on this matter and appealed to all householders to clean the ice from the paths outside their houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,467 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

rarnes1 wrote: »
    B&Q op.

A question someone asked me yesterday.

John Gormley just said on Radio 1 that you cannot be sued. But tbh he didnt sound too confidant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭lovelyhome

This post has been deleted.

John Gormley just said on Radio 1 that you cannot be sued. But tbh he didnt sound too confidant.

Well if John Gormley said it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭brainy_neuron

B&Q don't sell salt, sorry! Joyce's had sand for sandbags around the time of the floods, maybe you could use that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I bought 3 sacks of cat litter, does the job just great :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

scudzilla wrote: »
    I bought 3 sacks of cat litter, does the job just great :D:D
    now you have done it ,all the cats will be around at yours doing their onzeys and twozeys ;);):D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Storm 10 wrote: »
    The Minister John Gormley was on RTE News at 1pm and said that its untrue that a householder could be sued if someone fell outside their house.
    He said he got legal advice this morning on this matter and appealed to all householders to clean the ice from the paths outside their houses.

It doesn't really matter if you can be sued successfully or not.

If some a** with a relative who's an unemployed solicitor decides to sue you, then you have to pay the lawyer to defend yourself, while theirs is free. No matter if they lose ... sure they might be awarded costs, but you have to actually get the dosh out of 'em. Good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

dilallio wrote: »
    I would like to salt the pavement outside an elderly neighbours house and was wondering if anyone knows any place that sells large bags of salt.
    Failing that, what is a good alternative?
    Thanks.

Texaco in Lough Atalia road, near Harbour hotel had some this afternoon, don't remember the price... sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

You could try one of the cash and carrys around galway aswell. I worked in one for years and as long as you make it clear you wont be in every week looking for stuff and you are stuck they probably wont have a problem giving it to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭haines35

Dishwasher salt will do fine expensive though for a big area,trick is to get the snow off then sprinkle the salt on the area.
    hope this helps with the original non litigious post:D

Advertisement