Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fuseboard replacement

Options
  • 09-01-2010 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

have to replace an old fuseboard (dz fuses) with a new one mcbs rcd etc. wat is the story with the regs etc for all of this do i need to submit a new cert etc? am a qualified spark but not yet with reci etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

have to replace an old fuseboard (dz fuses) with a new one mcbs rcd etc. wat is the story with the regs etc for all of this do i need to submit a new cert etc? am a qualified spark but not yet with reci etc

If its your own house, i'd work away. At the end of the day your installing more protection in the installation.

Done the same in my own house last year (along with partial re-wire). The old fuse board had been in service for 48 years :eek:

Since doing mine the RCD has picked up earth faults that wouldn't of been found other wise, one with the immersion & another with an appliance. I'd rather have that any day.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

do i need to submit a new cert etc?
    Strictly speaking, you should submit a cert.
    am a qualified spark but not yet with reci etc
    You are permitted to do electrical in your own home if you are a qualified electrician and cert it yourself even though you are not a registered electrical contractor.
    If its your own house, i'd work away. At the end of the day your installing more protection in the installation.
    My thoughts exactly. Just get on with it and do not break any ESB seals!
    Done the same in my own house last year
    Me too! I should have certed it, but I didnt. What's the point? I know I have done it correctly, I tested it. If it was an old house and I was selling it I would cert it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

If the board needs to be changed so do the tails, earth spike , bonding etc . You will need a cert to get the new tails connected to the meter

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If the board needs to be changed so do the tails, earth spike , bonding etc . You will need a cert to get the new tails connected to the meter
    If the tails need to be replaced you are correct a cert will be required. However as a qualified electrician the OP can cert his own house even if he is not a registered electrical contractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

even with a cert you need to leave 16mm tails for esb to connect to .By the way they will charge 160euro for the privilege .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Where do you get the certs if you're not a registered contractor?

(I could do with upgrading the tails to my own board)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Where do you get the certs if you're not a registered contractor?

(I could do with upgrading the tails to my own board)

need to contact RECI or ECSSA

even with a cert you need to leave 16mm tails for esb to connect to .By the way they will charge 160euro for the privilege
    Yes, you need to pull in the tails if you want them and the ESB will not always work for free! It is still cheaper than paying someone else to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

so cant really do it then if not registered? even if tails etc are all ok?
    what would be the story with registering then? dont really want to leave the job could be more work from it.

The job apparently is not in his own housee so a registered contrator will have to do it . Get onto RECI www.reci.ie about getting yourself registered , you will need public liablity insurance , ( you need it anyway if you are doing work in other peoples houses)
    The full details for getting yourself registered are on the website

• Advertisement

bertie1 wrote: »
    The job apparently is not in his own housee so a registered contrator will have to do it . Get onto RECI www.reci.ie about getting yourself registered , you will need public liablity insurance , ( you need it anyway if you are doing work in other peoples houses)
    The full details for getting yourself registered are on the website

ya im in the process of gettin public liability insurance and all that. but will it be worth it if i only do a few cert jobs per year? which is best /easiest one to join ecsssa/reci?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

Hi just wondering how much roughly public liability insurance cost per yr and can anyone recommend a good company

i got quotes from a few places. were about 800 - 1000. keystone seem quite good

Reci have a deal with Hodgins Percival & Associated in Dublin , cira Euro650.00 last year, the question you need to ask yourself is would it be worth not paying it if something went wrong & there was a claim against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Whats the story with this these days lads in light of the new rules and what exactly has to be certed. Do all circuits connected to the new fuseboard need to be tested and certified or just the tails?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

superg wrote: »
    Whats the story with this these days lads in light of the new rules and what exactly has to be certed. Do all circuits connected to the nee fuseboard need to be tested and certified or just the tails?

I'm not sure on the latest as I'm no longer registered

however there is a guide on fuseboard upgrade in the back of et101

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Yeah so it seems everything needs to be checked for at the very least FLI along with verification of the RCD operation. Presumably that means you test all circuits like a new installation and cert accordingly.

Advertisement