Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I deal with somebody who is mentally ill?

Options
  • 09-01-2010 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Alright everybody,
    A bit of a nasty one here. An old pal of mine showed up my door last night with nowhere to go, so I let him stay with me last night. Anyways, told me he has escaped from Tallaght hospital.

I called a friend on the hospital on the quiet, and the story was confirmed. My mate was in there because he was arrested and was held there as they knew he has previous issues.

Anyways, here is the dilemma. I was given the number of the nurse who has a good relationship with my mate, and the number for the hospital. The coppers are looking for him.

I dont want to be grassing my mate up, and if I do, he will never trust me again. On the other hand, he def needs professional help.

Can anybody advise me on a course of action?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

your friend needs to be in hospital.

you will not help him by hiding him and delaying his access to professional treatment.

alert the hospital and the gardai as to his whereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

he def needs professional help.

It is a no brainer, you answered it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i've just had a think about this -
    i dont know what he was arrested for, it could have been an offence, or he could have been picked up by the guards on suspicion of being a danger because of mental illness (not technically arrested as such)

in any event, the guards are looking for this guy for one reaason or another

there is concern for his mental health

he needs treatment

alerting the guards and the hospital is teh best course of action, as i said

for teh reasons above, i dont think its appropriate allow this thread develop further

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement