Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER Energy Assessor costs

Options
  • 09-01-2010 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know how much a home BER assessment would cost? I got one or two contact details, but I'm wondering how much it would cost. My house is virtually new - built 3 years ago, but with the current 'Arctic' conditions I love to know how energy efficient the 'oul' pad is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Around 200euro depending on the company. And depending on the house you can get it refunded apparantly. ^_^ One of my workmates is a mine of information!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

and you can claim some money back under the green home sceme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Laducar

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭shane b

Hi
    I was quoted 225 to 250 euro for a standard 3 bed semi by 3 assessors. the prices vary slighly depending on the size of the house.
    You can only claim money back under the greeen home scheme if you get a BER before works and a BER after works. So you must get 2 BERs done and one of the approved works completed by a contractor to avail of the grant.

shane b wrote: »
    Hi
    I was quoted 225 to 250 euro for a standard 3 bed semi by 3 assessors. the prices vary slighly depending on the size of the house.
    You can only claim money back under the greeen home scheme if you get a BER before works and a BER after works. So you must get 2 BERs done and one of the approved works completed by a contractor to avail of the grant.

We didn't get one done after work and still got our money back even before work started. We never did one after and got half of the insulation work funded. This was an old cottage though and maybe it is different for for new builds.

We ended up paying €80.- for a assesment of €250.-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭YouWantWhat

You should be able to get one done for about €150. The person who will be doing it will need a set of drawings and specification for your house.

Put an ad in www.tenderme.com, its free and you will get a good response. All BER assessors have to be trained and registered, so you should get an accurate result.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

i work for an estate agency/rental property management company in sligo and we use mick brennan who charges 140 euro all in . he is a nice guy and very professional. OP , i have sent you a pm with further details

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

It actually depends - you can get someone to do it that took the 3-day course and they will charge you peatnuts - the purpose of that would be to just 'get a cert'
    or
    You can get an energy efficiency consultant that will do the assessment, get you the grants and improve your home's energy efficiency - Making it warmer and more cost effective long term.

(I'm not an energy efficency consultant :) )

egan007 wrote: »
    It actually depends - you can get someone to do it that took the 3-day course and they will charge you peatnuts - the purpose of that would be to just 'get a cert'
    or
    You can get an energy efficiency consultant that will do the assessment, get you the grants and improve your home's energy efficiency - Making it warmer and more cost effective long term.

+1 depends on what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

You should be able to get one done for about €150. The person who will be doing it will need a set of drawings and specification for your house.

Shop around. I know someone who got one for 70 euro cash. Its a buyers market, offer someone 60 or 70 euro for an hour or twos work and in this economic climate they will probably take it. You can always ask someone else if they do not. Lots of people done the course for the couple of days, its not rocket science and none of them seem to be too busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Thanks for all your replies so far, they're really helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

egan007 wrote: »
    or

So then question then is, where does one start? I'd be interested in grants for insulation

So then question then is, where does one start? I'd be interested in grants for insulation

You start with a good (not cheap) energy assesment. They will give you advice about what to do in term of insulation. Let some good proffesionals do the insulation and not any odd builder. I had good dealings with Abbey Insulation from sligo.

If you want I can PM you some number from people I trust. ey can also advise you about the grants out there

Advertisement