Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pipes frozen? Waiting for "The Thaw"?

• 09-01-2010 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭

Short term solution for us.

Our mains feed pipe into the house is only buried about 8" so as a result almost the entire estate is without water going to their houses.

Had the local aurthority around today and here is our quick solution. The mains water in the street is fine but it's so mucky you couldn't possibly drink from it without getting sick. However it is fine for toilets.

I had my recycling bin emptied on Friday so I gave it a very quick clean, then filled from the mains on the street while the local council worker had it open, parked it by the front door and have a bucket handy. That's toilet water sorted.

Quick trip around to local library before it closed at 12.30. Filled up about 8 5ltr bottles with tap water for the everyday usuage.

This will do as a short term solution. The local council will be around on Monday morning as will the library be reopened. Also can ask neighbours or a pub for some tap water if your stuck.

In order to stop it freezing in the wheelie bin I shall be adding a couple of litres of kerosene or salt or something as it's just for toilet use only.

Anyone else have any simple ideas that people can implement.

**sorry if there's already a thread on this but sure the more helpful hints the merrier.

If your next door neighbour has running water, you could also run a hose from his to your's etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

yawn wrote: »
    Short term solution for us.

Our mains feed pipe into the house is only buried about 8" so as a result almost the entire estate is without water going to their houses.

Had the local aurthority around today and here is our quick solution. The mains water in the street is fine but it's so mucky you couldn't possibly drink from it without getting sick. However it is fine for toilets.

I had my recycling bin emptied on Friday so I gave it a very quick clean, then filled from the mains on the street while the local council worker had it open, parked it by the front door and have a bucket handy. That's toilet water sorted.

Quick trip around to local library before it closed at 12.30. Filled up about 8 5ltr bottles with tap water for the everyday usuage.

This will do as a short term solution. The local council will be around on Monday morning as will the library be reopened. Also can ask neighbours or a pub for some tap water if your stuck.

In order to stop it freezing in the wheelie bin I shall be adding a couple of litres of kerosene or salt or something as it's just for toilet use only.

Anyone else have any simple ideas that people can implement.

**sorry if there's already a thread on this but sure the more helpful hints the merrier.

If your next door neighbour has running water, you could also run a hose from his to your's etc.

I wouldn't say adding kerosene to water is the most ecological and if it spills its a mess to clean up. Probably best sticking to salt.

I've connected up to neighbours supply with hose and it is working OK.

Advertisement