Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Wireless only €950 for 3 months

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Bosshogg wrote: »

Cheers lads for the 2 cents worth.
    (yis all owe me 200 euro worth now)

Now you're charging them for giving their 2 cents worth instead of them chrging you? Yer not gonna pay your bill that way :)

Seriously though, some fecking bill. Any reason you went with the mobile route? Actually, looking at their site. Do you use the dongle for your phone, text etc? Cos they charge extra for that it seems:

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/myconnect/O2/More+info/O2+Clear+Broadband+Other+Charges?lbW=590&lbH=400

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

VaPz wrote: »
    Edit: i assumed i had a 20gb allowance, its unlimited :P. My mistake.

NTL unlimited is really 250GB cap, over that continuosly and they move you to 80€ per month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

ok you could possibly make a claim that o2 have not reasonably enabled you to check your balance because their software does not tally with the online balance but there are other monitering software out there which you as a web designer should be aware of,

as for the examples of billing glitches with o2 just check out their own forums and it is clear enough.

have you written a letter yet? comreg and the consumer agency can do nothing untill you have written to o2 and made a "formal complaint" you must then give o2 time usually 10days to respond to your complaint before ComReg can get involved.

when your viewing habits are broken down a bit more it becomes more likely that you have accrued these charges from watching online rugby and movies etc and other tv programming and the unusual timing of the downloads could be explained by your pc downloading from some type of RSS feed overnight(when download speeds are usually much higher) and allowing you to watch the downloaded content the next day.

as for the excess charges while it can be claimed they are unfair and almost criminal to ask 2cent/kb the simple answer is that these charges are not criminal(yet) and you have been advised of them at the time you signed up and also the charges are readily and easily accessible on the o2 website so you can not reasonably claim ignorance of them!

edit: i usually use approx 8Gb/month but never download movies rugby and dont stream movies etc. your streaming habits are probably to blame for this high usage charge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

What is the difference between a mobile broadband connection and a mobile phone? Personally I see them as being more or less the same. With my mobile, if I exceed my minutes I pay for all additional calls. Why should this be any different for mobile broadband users?

There is a big difference between mobile broadband and fixed line or cable broadband. The number of users online in a given area has a much greater effect for mobile broadband that it does for fixed line or cable broadband. As far as I understand the cap is designed to prevent users from monopolising the connection in a given area and affecting other users.

However, on a more positive note. If you put your case to the company, and are a little more "I understand I did wrong, but I didn't realise what I was doing" I am sure you will be able to get a partial refund, maybe 50%? If you take a more aggresive approach I think you will get no where.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Right so let’s look at a few facts. I did sign the contract and they’re sticking to it perfectly. But here’s the real problem...

8 bits to a byte, 1024 bytes to a kB, (I can actually count in binary but let’s keep it simple), 1000000 bytes in a megabyte. How many bytes in a Gb anyone?

Why are you even getting into kb?
    O2 clearly charge 2c per MB not kb

1000000000 bytes in a gigabyte therefore 10Gb is 10000000000. So if you want to find out how much more you are charged for every Gb over you are you have to multiply 1000000 by .02 and then multiply the answer by 10000.

1024MB in a GB for a start
    So 1MB is charged at 0.02c = 20.48c per GB

Now if I start off with 10GB = €19.99 then how much will 1 Mb cost me? I just don’t even have to try I can see the 10 from 10GB and I can see the 20 from €19.99 so I know there’s a 2 or a .2 or a .02 in the answer.

1MB is 0.02c
    The 10GB cap was part of the 19.99e package excess is charged at 0.02c,
    You can't try and work out some new system to suit your needs.

Fact is 1MB is 0.02c so 1GB is 20.48c
    So does anyone see the real problem here? Could anyone here realistically be bothered to tell me how much 1 mb would cost? With all them zeros it’s real easy for the decimal point to slip one place now isn’t it?! So anyone see the sucker punch coming yet?.. 2 cents for a megabyte sure isn’t that the same as €20 for 10GB?

I don't know what crazy months you use but 1GB is 20.48c,

Now contract or now contract, justice is fairness. This isn’t fairplay. If a court delivers justice then there is some hope for my fight.
    Honestly I think my best chance for a outcome is to start some fires like this about the place and make them want to shut me up.

Its not a con, its not illegal, its nothing dodgy.....these charges are pretty much standard among "Mobile Broadband" in Ireland

Vodafone Ireland says
    A monthly data download allowance of 10 gigabytes (GB) applies. Usage in excess of 10GB per month is charged at 2c (VAT Inc.) per megabyte.

Meteor has similar information...their site is down for mainatnce at the moment though so I can't copy/past it
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    as for the excess charges while it can be claimed they are unfair and almost criminal to ask 2cent/kb the simple answer is that these charges are not criminal(yet) and you have been advised of them at the time you signed up and also the charges are readily and easily accessible on the o2 website so you can not reasonably claim ignorance of them!

O2 do not charge 2c per kb, they charge 2c per MB :)
    All O2 Broadband Plans have a data usage limit and a charge of 2c per MB applies for all usage in excess of the data usage limit on your plan.
    [/QUOTE]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

randomer wrote: »
    What is the difference between a mobile broadband connection and a mobile phone? Personally I see them as being more or less the same.

Thats because they are, data transfers on a mobile network are more costly then that of a cable or ADSL network. A mobile network was never really meant for a replacement of cable or ADSL.
    With my mobile, if I exceed my minutes I pay for all additional calls. Why should this be any different for mobile broadband users?

It isn't really :)
    I'm on Meteor Bill Pay Lite and I pay a flat fee for 60min worth of any network min and free meteor texts, I fully understand that I will incur call charges once I go outside of these free min :)
    There is a big difference between mobile broadband and fixed line or cable broadband. The number of users online in a given area has a much greater effect for mobile broadband that it does for fixed line or cable broadband. As far as I understand the cap is designed to prevent users from monopolising the connection in a given area and affecting other users.

Thats pretty much it alright,
    However, on a more positive note. If you put your case to the company, and are a little more "I understand I did wrong, but I didn't realise what I was doing" I am sure you will be able to get a partial refund, maybe 50%? If you take a more aggresive approach I think you will get no where.

I'd also agree with this suggestion, I've heard many a user put their hands up and still request that the bill is excessive. In some of the cases I've heard the telecoms provider has reduced the bill.

I wouldn't recommend an overly aggressive approach to O2 in relation to this as you have to look at it this way:

- If your overly agreesive 1st off they will view all charges as valid, 2nd off they will want them paid and 3rd and most of all they know that because your agreesive and pissed off you'll likely leave O2 at the end of it all.

- If you take a less aggressive approach they will often likely reduce the charges in favor of keeping you some-what happy as a customer and thus retaining you as a customer

By reducing the bill both partys get the best of both worlds,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Bosshogg

Hi all.

Cabaal I really appreciate your determination to tear holes in my argument. It's already highlighted my failure to make myself clear on some issues. I'm thinking in the forum I'm talking more casually and leaving it open for some assumptions on your end. Time constraints and all that I can't really sit and type a legally tight document. Still though keep it coming.

Cabaal wrote: »
    0.02c per MB works out at 20.48 per 1GB, NOT 20e per 10GB.

Yup when you really sit down to it that's what it works out at. However there's a clear strategy to misleading you to think otherwise.

The problem is in your case is because you'#ve been caught out you don't wish to fullfill your commitments under the T&C's.

That's yet to be determined. Someone else claimed there system is buggy. Don't worry I'll keep everyone in touch with the outcome.

O2 could not provide the Terms & Conditions in a clearer manner then this, its in plain english.Its not hidden or hard to understand.

I hugely disagree. The idea of that ridiculas math example was to show the lengths that people would have to go to to know for sure what exactly the charge is. The fact that they sell in GB but add a clause in MB is to be quite deliberately confusing, assuming people know what a GB or MB even is. Remember we're dealing with the big business sharks here of a faceless company.

A more proper approach would be something like this to begin with; The €20 monthly fee includes 10GB of transfer allowance, after that consumers are charged at the rate of €200 per 10GB transferred. Consumers are biolled at a per megabyte rate rounded to the nearest 2cent.

As I said that little discrepency of moving the decimal place is the scam.

To be perfectly honest O2 is the very ISP I've seen in the UK or Ireland that posts a quick breakdown of its Terms & Conditions in this manner.
    Which I'd have to argue is a deliberate get out clause for this very purpose. Btw helpdesk Mary was very well versed about this too. Seems to be a potent tool they have there.

You can't pick and choose parts of a Terms & Conditions, its either all or nothing and if you don't agree with the Terms then you shouldn't have accepted them.
    As I keep saying and trying to demonstrate, it's misleading to Joe Soap.
    Right you can be disappointed by my remarks all you want but class action suits DO NOT exist in Ireland so you ranting on about them means nothing
    I didn't think you could buy Granola here either but sure enough my wife turned up with a pack today and there I was thinking all this time you could only get muesli.
    Call it what you want, a demonstration even, but a group of offended people taking an action against a company is what I'm on about. Please don't tell me I have to get out a dictionary to be clear on this point with you. Group of people in the same both going to court to argue this is not ok.

First of lets talk facts, O2 have done nothing illegal so saying they swindled you out of this money is misleading.
    I'm really not so sure. I think you do have to be clear about your pricing. I know in a pub your price list has to be stuck to the wall. I think tagging in supermarkets is mandatory but I could be mixing up my country borders there.

Would I use O2's services, yes I would like any "Mobile Broadband" provider O2 like Meteor, Three or Vodafone reserve the right to charge for excessive usage.

On the basis that I understand this very basic fact I would use services belong to any of the above providers if I had to.

If however I used say 15GB on a 10GB package and I got charged then I only have myself to blame, I'd be annoyed with myself but I'd learn from it and move on and watch my usage in future :)

Right but you'd expect to pay €40 instead of €20 right? Or do you still claim that paying €120 is fair and acceptable?

So rather then take personal responsibility you want to challenge it, fair enough youy are entitled to.

You have two options
    - Small claims court
    - Get a solicitor and got to court....good luck with this option :rolleyes:
    I think challenging it is taking responsibility rather than ducking my head in the sand and moaning that they took my money decietfully.
    The small claims court is an obvious choice. It costs €15 and thanks to the help of your kind self and others here to trash it out I might have a .1% chance. Depends on the definition of justice.

Your belief that people will stay away from O2 is misguided, they most you';ll get O2 to do is perhaps reduce your bill.
    Don't horror stories put you off shopping somewhere? Isn't that what this forum is about? Telling other people where to avoid. Aren't you the mod here? (Just asking)

*if* a company is doing something wrong then consumers have every right to challenge it.
    Thank you, and that includes morally too. Think about people sueing the cigarette companies. Most if not all of your argument (where relevent such as not including megabytes etc) applies but still people successfully sue them for getting cancer.

In your case however its equal to a mobile phone company charging you for phone calls you made and then you complain about it.....pointless complaint.
    Not nearly. I know when I'm using the phone. I know what a minute of talktime is. I can keep a mental track of how much I've been yakking away on the phone. As with the ESB bill, my car, beer and so on but not with a internet connection. That is a big part of my point. How much TV did you watch last month? Now if you gave me a number for that it would be wierd. I don't have a harddrive full with movies etc. I browse the internet in the modern way. Looking at educational videos, a bit of rugby, skype. You can't (easily) track it especially over 3 PCs. The company did not act responsibly in alerting the consumer to the level of their consumption and I believe they have a duty to do so. It would happen at a restaurant "eh excuse me sir, I don't mean to bother you but your bill is already at €800 is that ok?" Is it normal for a bloke to repeatedly spend €20 for months and then rocket up to €600? They have a duty to the consumer I just haven't found it in legal terms yet.

VaPz really?
    He's admitting to streaming rugby online this is not just browsing websites :)
    Also O2 charge for "usage" this includes uploads and downloads so it all counts
    Hey be nice to VaPz. He comes accross as nice and well meaning ;0)

Yes I am well aware of that. To answer that question; I used kb to highlight how deep the numbers, more in particular the zeros can get.

Yes I did prelude that by saying I wanted to keep it simple and not count in binary (0001, 0010, 0011, 0100, 0101...) so for the sake of easy practical reading I stayed clear of 1mb = 1048576 bytes and all the knock on implications and went with the more familiar simple 1000000 option.
    Tedious to have to point that out now really but lesson learned.

1MB is 0.02c
    The 10GB cap was part of the 19.99e package excess is charged at 0.02c,
    You can't try and work out some new system to suit your needs.
    Fact is 1MB is 0.02c so 1GB is 20.48c
    Yes I think here you have the numbers out of context... Or I failed to make it clear that I was trying to demonstrate what assumption would be made by the consumer and how you would arrive there. I'm not sure exactly which passage you copied that from.
    I don't know what crazy months you use but 1GB is 20.48c,
    Aye and 38Gb is €586.61. I know. And a lot more people will be shocked to find that out if we don't tell 'em. I didn't sign up for any nasty shocks.
    (I'm assuming typo and you mean maths)

Its not a con, its not illegal, its nothing dodgy.....these charges are pretty much standard among "Mobile Broadband" in Ireland
    I absolutely disagree. It definately is a slight of hand con. It's completly dodgy and sleezy underhanded behaviour. It's the natural reaction of most people to say "wtf? 900 for 3 months!". It's utterly unexpected and I'm hoping someone will point me in a clear direction, maybe consumer affairs, but I'm pretty sure it's illegal.
    [/quote]

Now I'll try and clear the point of this bit up again...
    8 bits to a byte, 1024 bytes to a kB, (I can actually count in binary but let’s keep it simple), 1000000 bytes in a megabyte. How many bytes in a Gb anyone? 1000000000 bytes in a gigabyte therefore 10Gb is 10000000000. So if you want to find out how much more you are charged for every Gb over you are you have to multiply 1000000 by .02 and then multiply the answer by 10000.
    Is this right? Could someone check this for me? I want to use it as an argument.

That's what you have to know and have to do to figure out the deal they're giving you. And that's the easy numbers version, if you like use your own (Cabaal's) version of 1024mb to a gig. Now if you can't see that as a scam then you're just trying to wind me up.

Cabaal you can't honestly tell me after seeing their initial offer of 10GB for €20 that you figured out at a glance the next 10GB would be €200. They've worked hard to keep you from noticing that by burying it in the small print and changing the pricing format.

What I've tried to demonstrate is how someone that is good at math like me and has huge experience in this field can be caught out. So what chance has a busy single mum of 3 got? Or your aunt Jamima? Or my mate the the digger truck driver that can't find the apostrophe on the keyboard?

Now you repeatedly pointing at 2 lines on the contract, and me defending it is starting to sound like a broken record don't you think?

So tell me Cabaal, if you were the judge presiding over this case how would you rule?

I guess it boils down to this.... Is €950 a fair charge for 3 months internet?

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Bosshogg

randomer wrote: »

I'm looking for a more durable outcome whereby I don't have navigate a minefield to go online, or to see my unsuspecting neighbours getting injured in the same way. There has to be more pressure on these companies to not let this happen again to anyone. Pricing has to be abundantly clear to the public and if you ask me "O2 Broadband, €19.99 per month, it's that simple" doesn't cut it because a lot of people will be wondering how a simple €20 became simple €580.

I have my sights set higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Blarggggh

I guess it boils down to this.... Is €950 a fair charge for 3 months internet?
    It is when thats the excess stated in the contract, and YOU agreed to sign your name on the contract. Did you even bother to reading contract ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

OP, what size is your connection? The data you listed in post 7 is analysed in the attached.

If I'm correct, it seems to suggest you were up/downloading at 3.52Mb/s at times.

Sorry, you said you don't work for 02, which phone company do you work for? Only gobsh¡te phone companies use the above expressions.

If 1MB = 2c = €0.02
    => 1 GB ~= €20

Its €20 not the 20c you say above.

• Advertisement

OP, I tried comparing it to a mobile phone, but that didn't work, so I will try another example, driving a car.

If a road has a 50 kmph speed limit and you drive at 50 kmph then everyone is happy.

If you drive slightly over the limit, say 54 kmph, the Gardai are unlikely to give you a fine and penalty points, and the general public are unlikely to get annoyed with you.

If you drive 65 kmph in the same 50 kmph zone, then you will get a fine and penalty points and it is hard to argue against it.

If, however, you drive 160 kmph in the same 50 kmph zone and are caught, you will likely be banned from driving and could be sent to jail, and the general public will agree with this.

You signed up to use a broadband package that is designed for casual browsing. I am a heavy Internet user and would probably rarely go over 10 GB per month. Your excess usage of the mobile broadband has a negative impact on other mobile broadband users and as such you are penalised. It clearly states that there is a 10gb LIMIT and that there are charges for going over this.

If you want to get some money back, take the approach mentioned before.

Just to clarify:

The high cost of exceeding the LIMIT is designed to discourage people from abusing the service and thereby reducing the quality of service for other customers.

If the OP had seen the first bill, which he didn't through no fault of O2, he would have been aware of the issue and could have changed his usage habits or purchased a more suitable broadband package. He didn't, and continued to misuse the service and now the problem is three times the size it originally was.

Victor wrote: »
    Sorry, you said you don't work for 02, which phone company do you work for? Only gobsh¡te phone companies use the above expressions.

I actually never said if I did or did not work for O2,

However now you mention it I don't work for any company offering services in Ireland, I certainly have no interest in O2 or any of those so called "Mobile Broadband" companys.

Had you read any of my previous posts on the Broadband forum or my blog you'd know I really dislike so called "Mobile Broadband" companys due to the way they market their product as "Mobile Broadband" when infact it should be "Midband".

I'd be happy to provide you with links and e-mails I've sent to various Gov Agencys showing my dislike of these products.

None the less as much as I dislike these companys for the way they advertise they are still entitled to charge for there products inline with what they display as charged and in their T&C's,

Customers of any provider cannot simply pick and choose which parts of the charges they'll accept or not accept when they use a providers services.
    If 1MB = 2c = €0.02
    => 1 GB ~= €20

Its €20 not the 20c you say above.

I never said 20c I said 20.48, I apologise if I didn't make it clear that I actually meant
    €20.48 or Twenty Euro & Forty Eight Cent per 1GB.
    1MB = 1024KB 1GB = 1024MB so 1024 x 2c = €20.48

Clear enough Victor?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

OP you have some concrete details O2 have given you. Times online etc as well as amount downloaded. Were you online at the time, is there anything you can dispute?

If not .. then getting them to reduce the charges to keep you as a customer is the only option (which they most likely will do if you keep the communication on this point - and not how they are trying to rip you off)

If you were not online during these times then lodge a formal complaint that you were not using the service etc at this time. There is pretty much a 24 period here that if you were elsewhere brings some clout to the complaint

23:06 14/12/09 Data 419.95 MB 0.00
    00:00 15/12/09 Data 595.74 MB 0.00
    01:06 15/12/09 Data 1.05 GB 0.00
    03:06 15/12/09 Data 605.5 MB 0.00
    05:05 15/12/09 Data 194.95 MB 0.00
    09:45 15/12/09 Data 138.43 MB 0.00
    10:05 15/12/09 Data 527.38 MB 0.00
    11:06 15/12/09 Data 908.25 MB 0.00
    13:06 15/12/09 Data 830.13 MB 0.00
    15:06 15/12/09 Data 693.4 MB 0.00
    17:05 15/12/09 Data 530.46 MB 0.00
    19:02 15/12/09 Data 737.0 KB 0.00
    21:02 15/12/09 Data 16.0 KB 0.00
    22:33 15/12/09 Data 205.09 MB 0.00
    23:06 15/12/09 Data 410.18 MB 0.00

Yup when you really sit down to it that's what it works out at. However there's a clear strategy to misleading you to think otherwise.

Its clear you can't do basic maths and logic so there's no point in me explaining in detail what 1GB is charged at, I've explained this numerous times.

Its far from misleading
    That's yet to be determined. Someone else claimed there system is buggy.

Pure speculation unless you have facts to back it up, also any such iossues would have to be proved as a cause for your case.
    I hugely disagree. The idea of that ridiculas math example was to show the lengths that people would have to go to to know for sure what exactly the charge is.

So using basic multiplication is considered complex maths?
    2c charge per 1MB, 1024MB in 1GB.....oh yeah I can see how thats crazy complex....its up there with Stephen Hawkings type stuff :rolleyes:

The fact that they sell in GB but add a clause in MB is to be quite deliberately confusing, assuming people know what a GB or MB even is. Remember we're dealing with the big business sharks here of a faceless company.

Once again Eircom, Vodafone, Perlico, UTV etc etc do the same thing and reserve the right to charge per 1MB when you go over the cap.

Its not misleading, its not anti-competitive, its not illegal, its not dodgy and Comreg will confirm this.

Anyway in your case you have already clearly shown through your work and what you used the connection for that you understand what 1MB is and what 1GB is, so yopur hardly confused. :)

A more proper approach would be something like this to begin with; The €20 monthly fee includes 10GB of transfer allowance, after that consumers are charged at the rate of €200 per 10GB transferred. Consumers are biolled at a per megabyte rate rounded to the nearest 2cent.

Sure yeah suggest that to O2 as feedback...that however doesn't affect your specific case.

As I said that little discrepency of moving the decimal place is the scam.

Which I'd have to argue is a deliberate get out clause for this very purpose. Btw helpdesk Mary was very well versed about this too. Seems to be a potent tool they have there.

Yeah sure right :rolleyes:
    As I keep saying and trying to demonstrate, it's misleading to Joe Soap.

Its only an issue if "Joe Soap" eg: You didn't bother to read the T&C's before hand, as with any T&C's for any service if the customer has a query regarding a section they should query this with the company.

Only an idiot signs up to a contracted financial commitment without reading its Terms.

Simple question would you sign up to a bank loan without reading its Terms?

I didn't think you could buy Granola here either but sure enough my wife turned up with a pack today and there I was thinking all this time you could only get muesli.
    Call it what you want, a demonstration even, but a group of offended people taking an action against a company is what I'm on about. Please don't tell me I have to get out a dictionary to be clear on this point with you. Group of people in the same both going to court to argue this is not ok.

For the last time there is no such thing as a class action suit in Ireland, you can play word games all you want and make pointless examples but there is no such thing.
    I'm really not so sure. I think you do have to be clear about your pricing. I know in a pub your price list has to be stuck to the wall. I think tagging in supermarkets is mandatory but I could be mixing up my country borders there.

How is o2 not clear?
    - Its on their website
    - Its in there T&C's
    - Its in their shops
    - They pretty sure they provide you with written details with your package upon sign-up

What do you want them to do visit your house and read it to you?

Right but you'd expect to pay €40 instead of €20 right? Or do you still claim that paying €120 is fair and acceptable?

Not even sure what stuff your ranting on about here

I think challenging it is taking responsibility rather than ducking my head in the sand and moaning that they took my money decietfully.
    The small claims court is an obvious choice. It costs €15 and thanks to the help of your kind self and others here to trash it out I might have a .1% chance. Depends on the definition of justice.

Your dodgying your commitments under the T&C's,
    So if the ESB bill you for 200e which is a legit charge you thinking challenging it is taking responsibility?

Don't horror stories put you off shopping somewhere? Isn't that what this forum is about? Telling other people where to avoid. Aren't you the mod here? (Just asking)

Legit horror stories yes
    Stories twisted due to the extremely poor understanding of the poster do not and that is clear from this thread.

I'm not a mod of this forum.

Thank you, and that includes morally too. Think about people sueing the cigarette companies. Most if not all of your argument (where relevent such as not including megabytes etc) applies but still people successfully sue them for getting cancer.

Ok lets make more non-sensible rants, you've just insulted anyone who's got lung cancer from smoking by comparing it to an ISP charging for a legit service...wow.
    :rolleyes:

Not nearly. I know when I'm using the phone. I know what a minute of talktime is. I can keep a mental track of how much I've been yakking away on the phone.

You can do the same with data transfers, lots of apps and tools that allow you to do this. In addition if your downloading a 1GB file you know for a fact your downloading this much data.

Ignorance is not a legit legal defense

Yes I think here you have the numbers out of context... Or I failed to make it clear that I was trying to demonstrate what assumption would be made by the consumer and how you would arrive there. I'm not sure exactly which passage you copied that from.

An incorrect assumption regarding the charges could only be made if the customer can not do maths, thats the only way they could come to the conclusion that 10GB is 20e

I absolutely disagree. It definately is a slight of hand con. It's completly dodgy and sleezy underhanded behaviour. It's the natural reaction of most people to say "wtf? 900 for 3 months!". It's utterly unexpected and I'm hoping someone will point me in a clear direction, maybe consumer affairs, but I'm pretty sure it's illegal.

Until you prove anything as fact its not illegal, saying it is at this stage is nonsense and very foolish and certainly doesn't help your case.

That's what you have to know and have to do to figure out the deal they're giving you. And that's the easy numbers version, if you like use your own (Cabaal's) version of 1024mb to a gig. Now if you can't see that as a scam then you're just trying to wind me up.

Its not a scam, its O2 charging for a service they provided.
    Its not different to O2 charging 20c per min if you call from one of their mobiles.

Cabaal you can't honestly tell me after seeing their initial offer of 10GB for €20 that you figured out at a glance the next 10GB would be €200. They've worked hard to keep you from noticing that by burying it in the small print and changing the pricing format.

They make this information extremely clear, its certain not "hidden", I've already clearly shown you how easy you can access it.

If you believe that the next 10GB is another 20e then your extremely foolish for assuming such a thing

What I've tried to demonstrate is how someone that is good at math like me and has huge experience in this field can be caught out.

This is misleading and you know it,
    You started this thread saying what experience you have doing websites and photos, then you tried to play the fool saying you didn't know what 1MB was. Then you got caught out.
    Now you repeatedly pointing at 2 lines on the contract, and me defending it is starting to sound like a broken record don't you think?

You pretending to play the fool is also getting tiring.
    So tell me Cabaal, if you were the judge presiding over this case how would you rule?

Depending on your attitude I'd either look for you to pay the whole thing or perhaps 50/60% of it. They are valid charges after all.

At the end of the day if you didn't like the pricing structure you should have never used the service.

smog wrote: »
    If not .. then getting them to reduce the charges to keep you as a customer is the only option (which they most likely will do if you keep the communication on this point - and not how they are trying to rip you off)

I'd fully agree with this point,
    If the OP rants on about how O2 have acted illegally they won't want to cut any charges, if he acts in a reasonable and logical manner he has more chance.

This is very basic advice and has worked for numerous users on boards when dealing with companys, if you approach companys in a logical and reasonable manner you have a better chance.

Worked for me previously with Three and BT, of course to date the OP has not shown much logic in his posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

has anyone looked at that usage

19:16 14/12/09 Data 527.38 MB 0.00
    21:06 14/12/09 Data 683.64 MB 0.00

is it really possible to download 3.8GB on an o2 broadband dongle in 8 hours?
    When i had it it wasnt capable of anything near that.

Ares wrote: »
    has anyone looked at that usage

19:16 14/12/09 Data 527.38 MB 0.00
    21:06 14/12/09 Data 683.64 MB 0.00

is it really possible to download 3.8GB on an o2 broadband dongle in 8 hours?
    When i had it it wasnt capable of anything near that.

3.8GB in just about 8hours?
    Yep perfectly do-able and this only if your just getting over 1MB speeds (130kb/sec)

(3.8 gigabytes) / (130 (kilobytes / second)) = 8.51407863 hours

Anyway, in relation to the speed you received; speed on all mobile Broadband suppliers can vary depending on location and amount of users in that location.

So while one user may only get 1MB speeds in one location you vary well could get the full ability of the connection in another....one of the downsides of "Mobile Broadband" when compared to cable or ADSL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It is very easy to be cynical and say O2 are out to get people with no proof. That drum can be beat both ways. I could be cynical and say the OP was downloading movies every night and didn't realise he was going over the limit. Now that he realised how much the bills are he panics and tries to blame O2. To be honest its far more likely then O2 doing something dodgey.

It's amazing how many complaints in the consumer section are not legitimate complaints at all but self righteous rants at companies when the consumer is actually fully to blame themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

gpf101 wrote: »
    It is very easy to be cynical and say O2 are out to get people with no proof. That drum can be beat both ways. I could be cynical and say the OP was downloading movies every night and didn't realise he was going over the limit. Now that he realised how much the bills are he panics and tries to blame O2. To be honest its far more likely then O2 doing something dodgey.

In a nutshell, that's about it. This is not a rip-off, it's a case of someone not understanding what they've bought and using it without any care, and then paying the price for that. As Cabaal pointed out, the charges are listed in plain English, and in a simple short paragraph. There's no excuse for not knowing, except if you couldn't be bothered to find out before downloading 4 times the allowed amount.

The only thing I would say against O2 is that they could very easily implement a text message warning when someone gets to say 90% of their limit. They're not obliged to do this, but it would be nice. There is nothing wrong with their charges, or charging for going over the limit and they do provide an online usage monitor, that can easily be checked by the customer. In this case, the customer didn't bother to check, or didn't bother to find out.

User error is NOT a rip-off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

Its not a scam, its O2 charging for a service they provided. Its not different to O2 charging 20c per min if you call from one of their mobiles.

Really? Let's have a look at one of their price plans.

With O2 Clear 50 on a 12 month contract you get 50 call minutes and 50 texts for 20 Euro per month. Outside your allowance you pay 35c per call minute and 10c per text.

Details can be found here:

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Explore+Services/Price+plans/Pay+monthly/O2+Clear+Plans/

For usage outside your allowance, you pay an extra 12.5% for both calls and texts.

With the OPs broadband package you pay an extra 900% for usage outside your allowance.

OP if you don't get a satisfactory answer from ComReg it might be worth writing to your local TDs and ask them how they allowed this situation to develop. They'd probably be glad to be dealing with something that isn't related to banks and NAMA. Those penalties would put moneylenders to shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

My €0.02 (sorry you can't pay off a Mb with it).

I'm a simple guy but it all seems fairly simple to me.
    Either:
    a) something connected to you connection was using bandwidth unknown to you. If the was the case it will presumably be still doing it and you should be able to figure it out. O2 should be able to provide details of what was being downloaded, URLs etc. AFAIK it's a legal requirement for them to keep such records for between 1 and 3 years? If the usage is real but unknown to you, you can plead your case to O2 and they may reduce the amount you have to pay through good-will.

b) there is a system error on O2's side and usage has been attributed to your account in error. Again the priority is establishing what the usage was, and if it wasn't from your PCs write to them stating that. The fact that the bills have already been paid won't help you here. I'd say you'll have a battle getting your money back. After getting a final say on the matter from O2s customer dept, you can then think about going to Comreg etc if you are not happy.

Either way you may what to find a new ISP, I'd strongly suggest a land line or cable based one! You will get better speed and they don't tend to be strict in applying charges for over usage.

Really? Let's have a look at one of their price plans.

With O2 Clear 50 on a 12 month contract you get 50 call minutes and 50 texts for 20 Euro per month. Outside your allowance you pay 35c per call minute and 10c per text.......<SNIP>

Sure ok,
    For somebody that cares so much I'd expect you to be also complaining about Eircom, Vodafone, Meteor, UTV, Perlico too as they also reserver this right to charge in the exact same manner.

After all on some phone packages from the above providers local calls and sometimes national calls are free are free yet they charge 2c per MB for data. :rolleyes:

At the end of the day they are entitled top charge for a service they are providing, nobody forced the OP to use O2's services, nobody held a gun to his head at anytime to make him go through the sign-up process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Not really sure why this forum is stacked with people bending over forwards to side with the likes of O2. Blatant, inexcusable rip off & piss poor customer service to match.

Sure ok,
    For somebody that cares so much I'd expect you to be also complaining about Eircom, Vodafone, Meteor, UTV, Perlico too as they also reserver this right to charge in the exact same manner.

Ehm, I don't care that much. Just trying to help the OP out a bit. Playing the man rather than the ball hardly makes for a constructive debate, nor does it help the OP. But on your point, that's why I suggested ComReg.
    After all on some phone packages from the above providers local calls and sometimes national calls are free are free yet they charge 2c per MB for data. :rolleyes:

At the end of the day they are entitled top charge for a service they are providing, nobody forced the OP to use O2's services, nobody held a gun to his head at anytime to make him go through the sign-up process.

Not exactly sure what your point is here, but I don't think anyone was questioning their right to a top up charge any more than a bank can charge interest. It's the rate of this charge that I highlighted. What do you think would happen if AIB and BoI raised mortgage rates to 200% tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

OP if you don't get a satisfactory answer from ComReg it might be worth writing to your local TDs and ask them how they allowed this situation to develop. They'd probably be glad to be dealing with something that isn't related to banks and NAMA. Those penalties would put moneylenders to shame.

What exactly will a politician do about a company charging the fees that the company made clear to a customer before the customer used the service? Politicians didn't allow this to happen any more than they allowed my local deli to charge €3.50 for a sandwich, because it's got nothing to do with them in the first place.
    Morlar wrote: »
    Not really sure why this forum is stacked with people bending over forwards to side with the likes of O2. Blatant, inexcusable rip off & piss poor customer service to match.

Shows that you don't know much about the cost of shipping data over a mobile phone network. It's far more costly than voice or text communications, hence ALL the networks charge a heavy penalty for going outside your package allowance. The truth is that the included 10GB (or whatever the limit might be) is actually incredibly cheap, and not that the excess charge is expensive.
    It's the rate of this charge that I highlighted. What do you think would happen if AIB and BoI raised mortgage rates to 200% tomorrow?

You're analogy is broken. O2 have changed nothing from when the customer signed up to use the service, and when he was charged for excessive usage.

A better analogy would be what if the banks were already charging 200% interest on a mortgage, do you think anyone would take one out? No, they wouldn't, any more than a person who knows it will cost €20 per GB would use 40GB of data. Or what if O2 had said the charges were 2c per GB, and wanted to change the charge to 2c per MB? That would be worth complaining about, but as it stands, none of that is happening, and you're comparing apples and oranges to justify a false argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I watch rugby online. How many megabytes is that? A match? A minute of a Match?
    This really depends on the quality of the video. I used to watch football matches online, one match could use up about 2GB in bandwidth. so if you watched one match a week that alone could use up your 10GB.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

jor el wrote: »
    Shows that you don't know much about the cost of shipping data over a mobile phone network. It's far more costly than voice or text communications, hence ALL the networks charge a heavy penalty for going outside your package allowance. The truth is that the included 10GB (or whatever the limit might be) is actually incredibly cheap, and not that the excess charge is expensive.

OK, we'll assume for the sake of argument that the allowance is provided as cheaply as legally possible - cost price. Can you enlighten us how a 900% markup isn't expensive?

OK, we'll assume for the sake of argument that the allowance is provided as cheaply as legally possible - cost price. Can you enlighten us how a 900% markup isn't expensive?

Your still arguing apples and oranges for the sake of it, this does not change the underlying fact in respect of what O2 charge and no amount of saying "I'll talk to my TD" will change what O2 charge.

Its their network, they built, own and operate it and they can charge what they believe is acceptable for data transfers via it.

Eircom charge above and beyond what it costs them to provide calls to different networks, they display the prices in question and people pay them.

It would be downright idiotic to suggest that if somebody made a expensive phone call via the Eircom network that they should have got it cheaper because Eircom have the price higher then it actually costs them to provide the service.

Why would it be idiotic I hear you say? Well because the consumer made an informed decision, if they made the call without checking the price then its their fault.

Companys are in it to make a profit, they display their prices and consumers utilise the services (if they choose to).

At no point in this case was the OP forced into using O2's services, by the OP's own admission he actually choose to go to O2 from Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭O2_Sheena

As a representative for O2 I would like to acknowledge your situation and would like to see what we can do for you. We also appreciate the comments and input from other users here. In order to share details we will need to discuss this one to one and will leave it at your discretion when it comes to posting any outcomes . You can contact me via PM here on boards, on our own forum Talk2o2 or by email at talk2o2@o2.com. In a more general light I would like to answer some of the questions that have been asked here over the past few days.

Capping Mobile Broadband data limits is not just about pricing. Unlike telephone usage, one person using the service heavily will affect other users so in the interest of fairness, data usage is capped at a certain amount. All Irish operators follow the same style to ensure fair usage of the service. I take on board the points raised on the data counter software and will explore this further.

I appreciate that some of our terms and conditions can be difficult to understand which is why we have introduced the quick versions as some of you have already quoted. We are always looking to improve this and help our customers to better understand them so any suggestions or ideas you can give me would really be appreciated.

Thanks once again for all your input.

Paddy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement