Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Wireless only €950 for 3 months

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Bosshogg

randomer wrote: »
    OP, I tried comparing it to a mobile phone, but
    that didn't work, so I will try another example, driving a car.
    Hi Randomer.
    Cars have odometers counting the total mileage, the trip, displaying current speed, the GPS shows average speed and highest speed. My car even has a speed limiter that I always use about towns. Added to that the roads are riddled with signage on poles and painted on the roads. I do not have to do any deliberately confusing maths calculations in my head to know how fast I'm going. That's adding to my point about O2 being deliberately ambiguous and confusing.
    Just to clarify:
    If the OP had seen the first bill, which he didn't through no fault of O2,
    he would have been aware of the issue and could have changed his usage
    habits or purchased a more suitable broadband package. He didn't, and
    continued to misuse the service and now the problem is three times the
    size it originally was.
    I don't think O2 made sufficient effort to get that first bill to me. If it's 20quid no odds, but if it's more then it's in their favour for me not to notice it. A tiny and discrete yellow envelope down at the clock on 30" monitor is not a great attention grabber. Consider the human factor and we all know we can easily get too busy and miss these things. Also it disappears on reboot if you don't open it immediately, further to that it's automatically deleted after 7 days by the default settings of the application. And finally all the other bills to date were €19.99 and so even more so there was no cause for alarm. But yes you are right - I didn't read it. But I don't think O2 were too concerned about that, if they were it'd be in the contract "The customer must sign off every invoice" - yeah right.
    gpf101 wrote: »
    It is very easy to be cynical and say O2 are out to get people with no proof. That drum can be beat both ways. I could be
    cynical and say the OP was downloading movies every night and didn't
    realise he was going over the limit. Now that he realised how much the
    bills are he panics and tries to blame O2. To be honest its far more
    likely then O2 doing something dodgey.

It's amazing how many complaints in the consumer section are not
    legitimate complaints at all but self righteous rants at companies when
    the consumer is actually fully to blame themselves.

Hi gp.
    This is all true but there is a moral issue of the company clearing out a man's pockets unknownst to him. Me or anyone else, taking €1000 for 3 months internet is just plain wrong. That's how I feel about what's happened. I wasn't looking for something for free but to get a financial punch in the face for something I really cannot confirm or deny is not fair consumerism. I should have a hard drive packed with goodies at this point but ya know what I don't so I'm stumped to know wtf happened.

Cabaal I think we've hit some kind of wall at this point. You're coming accross as getting fustrated and barking at people, even plain ol' insulting so there's no sense in continuing a point for point conversaton. I'm thinking maybe we should try approaching it in an alternative style of conversation. The very last thing I'd want is someone getting a ban from acting out in frustration over an O2 problem. Wouldn't they just piss themselves laughing then. At the same time tapping your finger of section 7.1 of the contract repeatedly stating "it's in the contract, it's your own fault" isn't really progressing anywhere.

In fairness to Victor you could be construed as working / worked in Telecoms, in fact even at a helpdesk by the way you seem to be venting out as though you've heard all this 1000 times before but couldn't tell the customer "Its clear you can't do basic maths and logic so there's no point in me explaining in detail what 1GB is charged at". Also you seem to be unusally adept at the charges accross all providers. It's not for me to mod the forum but we're here to challenge an issue and not gun each other down.
    I agreed I signed the contract. I agreed it has 2c per mb in it (in paragraph 7 sub section .1 but saying this is all my fault is wrong. I'm going to suggest that I did knowingly and willfully download the TOP50 DVDs from HMV or wherever sells digital data as such. (I didn't but lets
    say I did) Still there is the unexpected bill of €1000 for 3 months service. There should be nothing unexpected. If they put 10GB for €20 then that's what they should be made stick to. This is obvious.
    jor el wrote: »
    What exactly will a politician do about a company
    charging the fees that the company made clear to a customer before the
    customer used the service? Politicians didn't allow this to happen any
    more than they allowed my local deli to charge €3.50 for a sandwich,
    because it's got nothing to do with them in the first place.

Shows that you don't know much about the cost of shipping data over a
    mobile phone network. It's far more costly than voice or text
    communications, hence ALL the networks charge a heavy penalty for going outside your package allowance. The truth is that the included 10GB (or whatever the limit might be) is actually incredibly cheap, and not that
    the excess charge is expensive.
    Well I beg to differ the politicians are employed to run the country, the minister of communications to run the comms of the country and yes he is exactly the man to do something about it. Although there is next to no chance of me getting my money back maybe we can hash out a proposal for change that he can implement so that nobody ever gets hit with a scandalous bill like mine again no matter what the cause. ComReg as the name suggests is the regulator of the law, they don't create the law as I was just told today.

The cost of shipping data over a network? Is that more than voice which I
    guess is digitized and effectively transfered as data? I assume they've
    simply put a higher price on your data and that's all.
    This really depends on the quality of the
    video. I used to watch football matches online, one match could use up
    about 2GB in bandwidth. so if you watched one match a week that alone
    could use up your 10GB.
    Thanks Ninja, I was just trying to put it in real terms for say my mother
    to quantify. Despite Cabaals numerous attempts to point out what a megabyte is how would you know? I know what a minute on the phone is like, I know what a mile in a taxi is like but what's 1 meg of internet like? See my point?

Just seen Cabaal's last post. Yes the TD doesn't set the prices but he can make sure that they are clearly understood by the average customer. I know you fail, sorry not fail, refuse to recognise the fact that 2c per MB is ambiguous. Well you see us normal folk that don't actually analyse the small print and fail to get our calculators to figure out the actual real price I'd have to say that 2c per mb says f'all about the cost.
    In this particular case, bragging about 10GB for €20 and then rewording it to hide 10GB for €200 is misleading the consumer. This CAN be changed by a TD. Now we need your desire for argument and to be right alongside the thoughts of everyone else to form a proposal for change to hand off to the TD so this doesn't happen to anyone else. It could be you next Cabaal!! ;;0)

Cheers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm washing my hands of this, it is actually like talking to a wall.

If the OP wants to make pointless comparisons about how he can tell the speed of his car or download some top HMV thing its clear he has no interest in approaching his complaint with O2 from a logicial standpoint.

talk2o2_Paddy, if your indeed a rep for O2 I wish you luck dealing with such a illogical customer who approaches things from a point of view that makes no sense. On a related note talk2o2_Paddy, O2 may want to look at having an official rep on boards.ie in much the same as Vodafone, Magnet etc do....it might be an idea to contact boards.ie directly regarding this.

As for hoping a TD will change the whole "Mobile Broadband" pricing structure in Ireland just because of the OP's rantings about what O2 is doing is illegal :rolleyes:, the OP is on another planet to think this because even Comreg can't change prices without a high court battle :) (and even then they often loose)

For those that know anything about telecoms pricing you'd know that telecoms company have been charging for data for years in similar manners to 2c for 1MB, up until recently many providers charged 2c per 1KB and it was common for customers who assumed the internet was free to be landed with large bills which had to be paid and were.

Bosshogg, good luck with your crazy logic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

Bosshogg wrote: »
    Hi Randomer.
    Cars have odometers counting the total mileage, the trip, displaying current speed, the GPS shows average speed and highest speed. My car even has a speed limiter that I always use about towns. Added to that the roads are riddled with signage on poles and painted on the roads. I do not have to do any deliberately confusing maths calculations in my head to know how fast I'm going. That's adding to my point about O2 being deliberately ambiguous and confusing.

Older cars have speedometers measuring the speed in miles per hour, whereas the road signs are in kilometres per hour. So there is a "complex" calculation that some people need to do each day.

I don't think O2 made sufficient effort to get that first bill to me. If it's 20quid no odds, but if it's more then it's in their favour for me not to notice it. A tiny and discrete yellow envelope down at the clock on 30" monitor is not a great attention grabber. Consider the human factor and we all know we can easily get too busy and miss these things. Also it disappears on reboot if you don't open it immediately, further to that it's automatically deleted after 7 days by the default settings of the application. And finally all the other bills to date were €19.99 and so even more so there was no cause for alarm. But yes you are right - I didn't read it. But I don't think O2 were too concerned about that, if they were it'd be in the contract "The customer must sign off every invoice" - yeah right.

I give up ... Yeah, O2 should have sent Brian O'Driscoll around to your house to tell you that you had broken their terms and conditions ...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Capping Mobile Broadband data limits is not just about pricing. Unlike telephone usage, one person using the service heavily will affect other users so in the interest of fairness, data usage is capped at a certain amount.
    Bull. You are obfuscating the situation. The monthly download limit doesn't materially affect other users, its the instantaneous download rate that affects other users. If someone downloaded 10GB over one day, it would have a much bigger effect on the service than downloading 20GB over a month.
    I appreciate that some of our terms and conditions can be difficult to understand
    This is bull (again!), the pricing structure is outright price gouging and you know it. I don't use 02, but use something similar. Sometimes I'll download tons (500-1000MB queued), other times almost nothing. Its a flat €15 per month for 1MB, no cap.
    All Irish operators follow the same style to ensure fair usage of the service.
    Are you suggesting that there is anti-competitive behaviour in such pricing structures?
    I take on board the points raised on the data counter software and will explore this further.
    If people have gas and electricity meters and my phone bill will tell me exactly what calls are made, why doesn't this exist for your service. Is it a honey trap you hope people will fall into?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

But yes you are right - I didn't read it. But I don't think O2 were too concerned about that, if they were it'd be in the contract "The customer must sign off every invoice" - yeah right.

Now I know you're not being serious. The customer must sign off on every invoice? That is the stupidest thing that has been suggested in a thread filled with stupid comments.

There should be nothing unexpected. If they put 10GB for €20 then that's what they should be made stick to. This is obvious.

They did stick to it. The problem is that you didn't.
    Well I beg to differ the politicians are employed to run the country, the minister of communications to run the comms of the country and yes he is exactly the man to do something about it.

No, he doesn't run the communications of this country. Every communication company runs itself, but constrained by consumer and other laws.
    The cost of shipping data over a network? Is that more than voice which I
    guess is digitized and effectively transfered as data? I assume they've
    simply put a higher price on your data and that's all.

Just because you don't understand, doesn't mean you're right. A single data user uses more bandwidth than multiple voice users, or hundreds of text users. Therefore, it costs more to have data users on the network, which is why, as O2 Paddy pointed out, there is a cap in place.

Thanks Ninja, I was just trying to put it in real terms for say my mother
    to quantify. Despite Cabaals numerous attempts to point out what a megabyte is how would you know? I know what a minute on the phone is like, I know what a mile in a taxi is like but what's 1 meg of internet like? See my point?

No, I don't see it at all. Data is generally measured in MB, and if you don't know what it is, then you need to find out. It's not up to the service provider to teach you this. They use standard technical terms, as every ISP does, and it lets you know exactly what the charges are.
    I know you fail, sorry not fail, refuse to recognise the fact that 2c per MB is ambiguous.

How in the name of god is that ambiguous? You'd prefer they price it in terms of bananas?

In this particular case, bragging about 10GB for €20 and then rewording it to hide 10GB for €200 is misleading the consumer.

Where did they say that, and where did they re-word it to mislead you?

As I said earlier, user error is not a rip off. You made a mistake, and far too many assumptions, you didn't read what it was you were getting into, or you didn't care, and now you must pay the price for that. Stop looking to blame others for you failings.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    I never said 20c I said 20.48, I apologise if I didn't make it clear that I actually meant
    €20.48 or Twenty Euro & Forty Eight Cent per 1GB.
    1MB = 1024KB 1GB = 1024MB so 1024 x 2c = €20.48
    You did say "20.48c", which is a expression only phone companies use.
    Why are you even getting into kb?
    O2 clearly charge 2c per MB not kb

1024MB in a GB for a start
    So 1MB is charged at 0.02c = 20.48c per GB

Apologies, it was Nody who said he didn't work for 02.

Victor wrote: »
    Bull. You are obfuscating the situation. The monthly download limit doesn't materially affect other users, its the instantaneous download rate that affects other users. If someone downloaded 10GB over one day, it would have a much bigger effect on the service than downloading 20GB over a month.

You are missing the point here. A user is unlikely to download 10GB in one day and do nothing for the rest of the month. Downloading 1GB each day will potentially impact other users every day.
    This is bull (again!), the pricing structure is outright price gouging and you know it. I don't use 02, but use something similar. Sometimes I'll download tons (500-1000MB queued), other times almost nothing. Its a flat €15 per month for 1MB, no cap.
    Are you suggesting that there is anti-competitive behaviour in such pricing structures?
    If people have gas and electricity meters and my phone bill will tell me exactly what calls are made, why doesn't this exist for your service. Is it a honey trap you hope people will fall into?

I think the price offeredby O2 is very good. They offer a mobile broadband solution for less than 20 euro per month. If you want to download more than 10GB per month, then buy one of their higher bandwidth solutions, or get a different broadband provider.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You did say "20.48c", which is a expression only phone companies use.

Hi Victor, just to clarify I only used 20.48c as the keyboard I was using at the time didn't have a working euro symbol :)

otherwise I would have said €20.48 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Anyone else notice he is using his neighbors wireless now? I think this may be an eye for an eye situation here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

Your still arguing apples and oranges for the sake of it, this does not change the underlying fact in respect of what O2 charge and no amount of saying "I'll talk to my TD" will change what O2 charge.

A 900% margin above the cost to provide a product is a rip-off regardless whether the product is apples, oranges or broadband. If you or jor el can provide a rational explanation for the margin then let's have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭musicmonky

"A tiny and discrete yellow envelope down at the clock on 30" monitor is not a great attention grabber." So you didn't care. Fair enough

bit of googling

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&client=opera&rls=en&hs=vG7&q=broadband+usage+monitor&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryIE&aq=1&oq=broadband+usag

which takes you to http://broadband-usage.com/

and to the very useful 02usage
    unfortunately it requires the user to look for it near the clock. ;)
    http://o2-usage.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭nobeastsofierce

OK, we'll assume for the sake of argument that the allowance is provided as cheaply as legally possible - cost price. Can you enlighten us how a 900% markup isn't expensive?

A 900% margin above the cost to provide a product is a rip-off regardless whether the product is apples, oranges or broadband. If you or jor el can provide a rational explanation for the margin then let's have it.

Well, firstly, I'm not sure why you think having the basic contract fee set below cost is going to be illegal. Predatory pricing? Certainly not, obviously the service is profitable, as OP has proven ;)

As to your second point, a rational argument?
    We'll say your first hypothetical is correct, that at 19.99 02 are breaking even. Lets make up a number, that say 10% of their clients go over their allocation in a month. This 10% paying 900% on the overage are giving the other 90% a cost price internet connection, and 02 remain profitable, and able to provide the service

If the OP wants to make pointless comparisons about how he can tell the speed of his car or download some top HMV thing its clear he has no interest in approaching his complaint with O2 from a logicial standpoint.

As for hoping a TD will change the whole "Mobile Broadband" pricing structure in Ireland just because of the OP's rantings about what O2 is doing is illegal rolleyes.gif, the OP is on another planet to think this because even Comreg can't change prices without a high court battle smile.gif (and even then they often loose)
    Cabaal this out of context disecting of my text is ruining your credibility. I didn't make pointless comparisons to cars but I did respond to one, and with respect to the persons intentions it wasn't pointless. I won't name who because they you'd be showing a disdain for them instead.

I never suggested that we change the whole BB pricing structure either. Yet again another misqoute. I did say that people should be better informed of the pricing and not have to do complex math riddles to figure out what the true pricing is. Most people have no idea what a megabyte is and are left at the whim of the providers. If they can catch out a seasoned professional then what are they doing to every one else?
    jor el wrote: »
    Now I know you're not being serious. The customer must sign off on every invoice? That is the stupidest thing that has been suggested in a thread filled with stupid comments.

No, he doesn't run the communications of this country. Every communication company runs itself, but constrained by consumer and other laws.

Just because you don't understand, doesn't mean you're right. A single data user uses more bandwidth than multiple voice users, or hundreds of text users. Therefore, it costs more to have data users on the network, which is why, as O2 Paddy pointed out, there is a cap in place.

How in the name of god is that ambiguous? You'd prefer they price it in terms of bananas?

Where did they say that, and where did they re-word it to mislead you?

As I said earlier, user error is not a rip off. You made a mistake, and far too many assumptions, you didn't read what it was you were getting into, or you didn't care, and now you must pay the price for that. Stop looking to blame others for you failings.

Signing off every invoice is stupid, have you any better ideas? Say somewhere between signing off every invoice hand delivered by BOD and a little yellow envelope down at the clock.

Sorry did I say the minister RUNS the comms in the country?... ooops I meant to say GOVERNS. But I refuse to get into a typo pickup contest. I gather you're clever enough to know what I mean. By the way I'm not here to win an argument, the forum is for RIP OFFs. Just restating the purpose of the thread.

They said it when they wrote 2c per mb instead of €200 per 10GB over. Are you even considering what's written or are you taking everything in the literal sense and requiring my to spell everything out so you can find more typos etc? I can't see the need for this endless sarcasm and narky behaviour.

I never once claimed to be right, you might be projecting your emotions onto my words. In fact I'm confused, are you saying a mb of digitized voice is less than an mb of say text or mp3 etc?
    You are missing the point here. A user is unlikely to download 10GB in one day and do nothing for the rest of the month.
    heh tell it to O2 apparently I did do something like that. Well at least I scored 38mb in one month ;0)

Hi Victor, just to clarify I only used 20.48c as the keyboard I was using at the time didn't have a working euro symbol :)
    otherwise I would have said €20.48 ;)
    I thought a man of your advanced knowledge would have whacked in the ascii value just to be clear and correct.
    Anyone else notice he is using his neighbors wireless now? I think this may be an eye for an eye situation here...
    off topic but I am using it with his permission and it is secured even if it was me that secured it. I could of course hack into any of the other neighbours unsecure Eircom modems and not bother paying any provider at all. And since our neighbours connection is uncapped, or at least not charged for overs we can ask him to get our downloads if we need them. More to the point it's a reason why I wouldn't go over using the O2 connection. As I said before it is for work. But don't try and point the dirty finger at me when you are all well adept at figuring out torrentz and warez as the solution.
    But in any case how does that change €1000 (getting there) for 3 months connection being a rip off?

What I'm becoming strangley surprised with is how many of you want to attack me for my stupidity and apparently take the heat of O2 for charging a fella €1000 for 3 months internet.

hm? I did it to myself?
    So how many of you now knowing that O2 charge €200 for 10GB would sign up with them. If I'd triple checked my sums and made a call to O2 to confirm it further then I know I wouldn't have. The thing is that's what's expected of everyone regardless of their skill levels so are you boys calling everyone that gets stung by O2 stupid because you're so net savy?

Paddy assuming you are an O2 rep I'll respond to you soon. I'm unsure of your approach for starters plus I've already been fobbed off by a tonne of O2 reps already so I guess your just looking for a public thread for O2's voice. No problem, I told helpdesk Linda that the €1000 that O2 got from me will start to feel sore after a while. Good for you Paddy, I'll keep you in a job and I'll have you run all over the internet, radio, papers and more so let's be mates :D

By the way where's my confirmation email to let me write on the O2 forum, it's been like 3 days now. That too was super buggy and wouldn't behave well a lot like the accounts secton. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

Well, firstly, I'm not sure why you think having the basic contract fee set below cost is going to be illegal. Predatory pricing? Certainly not, obviously the service is profitable, as OP has proven ;)

I'm not sure tbh, and this is what I was suspecting. It's certainly predatory pricing for the OP ;)
    As to your second point, a rational argument? We'll say your first hypothetical is correct, that at 19.99 02 are breaking even. Lets make up a number, that say 10% of their clients go over their allocation in a month. This 10% paying 900% on the overage are giving the other 90% a cost price internet connection, and 02 remain profitable, and able to provide the service

Yeah, that's rational alright, and probably a little unfair on the OP. Quoting the excess charge at 20 euro per GB might make things a bit more obvious for OP and the others in the same boat. Keeping the quota price low and the excess charge high will result in a better looking offer from O2.

musicmonky wrote: »
    "A tiny and discrete yellow envelope down at the clock on 30" monitor is not a great attention grabber." So you didn't care. Fair enough

bit of googling

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&client=opera&rls=en&hs=vG7&q=broadband+usage+monitor&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryIE&aq=1&oq=broadband+usag

which takes you to http://broadband-usage.com/

and to the very useful 02usage
    unfortunately it requires the user to look for it near the clock. ;)
    http://o2-usage.com/

Hi MM.
    If O2s own BB usage meter cannot be used for billing purposes then why would anyone else's? Firstly there is a massive discrepency between my local readings and theirs. Secondly I understand that the dongle/fob can be moved from PC to PC thereby splitting the local counts no matter what counter you'd use. Anyway even as a guide the O2 counter is only about 30gigs out - nice!

What's needed is an RSS tool that'll update me direct from the O2 server everytime I log on - "Your account status is now...xxx balance xxx qouta" Heck they could even employ me to do it for them as a jesture of good faith. (Cadaal how many postit's do I have to nic to balance out a grand?) :p

Cheers and thanks for playing ;0)

You might look into unfair terms and conditions with the National Consumer Agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

You can talk all you want about the reasons that it costs so much outside of the 10GB and how unfair it is etc. etc. but the bottom line is, the OP signed the contract and then went over the limit and was charged in line with the terms in the contract. It's pretty black and white really.

You might look into unfair terms and conditions with the National Consumer Agency.

This will get you nowhere. Signing up for O2's service is completely by choice, nobody forced the OP to sign the contract. If there was disagreeable terms in it he shouldn't have signed.

You can talk all you want about the reasons that it costs so much outside of the 10GB and how unfair it is etc. etc. but the bottom line is, the OP signed the contract and then went over the limit and was charged in line with the terms in the contract. It's pretty black and white really.

This will get you nowhere. Signing up for O2's service is completely by choice, nobody forced the OP to sign the contract. If there was disagreeable terms in it he shouldn't have signed.

I think the debate about whether or not they can 'legally' pull this off is decided.

The bottom line is... "O2 Mobile Broadband, Just €1000 for 3 months, it's that simple" to paraphrase their slogan.

ref: http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Broadband?wcmarea=/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Explore+Services/Broadband

As a representative for O2 I would like to acknowledge your situation and would like to see what we can do for you. We also appreciate the comments and input from other users here. In order to share details we will need to discuss this one to one and will leave it at your discretion when it comes to posting any outcomes . You can contact me via PM here on boards, on our own forum Talk2o2 or by email at talk2o2@o2.com. In a more general light I would like to answer some of the questions that have been asked here over the past few days.

Paddy

So Paddy, me ol' helpful pal, have you ever heard of phishing?

WTF? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I am not sure that's phishing - I would imagine if this person IS from O2 then they'd prefer to 'take it offline' so that it doesnt get picked up by the Herald or the Star and then have a lot more people come out of the woodwork in a similair boat. I think it is outrageous - unbelievable gouging and there is no justification whatsoever for it.

OP, I think your that flippant that you are just a wind up merchant at this stage.

O2 should set limits on their broadband. A bit like credit card so that you can't overspend. Maybe they have this facility I don't know.

I HATE direct debits, you have no control.
    Direct debits on credit cards are worse. The credit card owner has to ask the company that takes the direct debit to stop taking your money. And sometimes they "accidentally" forget.

If the OPs "story" is to be believed. The OP made a MASSIVE mistake by accepting the first bill. It is the OPs responsibility to read bills. This can't be argued, even if your up to eyes in nappies. Because O2 can say, what took you so long to get annoyed. Which is a fair point.

I can't believe that the OP thinks that they have no duty of care here.

I would be pretty paranoid and would install anything on my PC or PCs to make sure I knew where I stood with broadband usage.
    When I had dial up I did, it was a pain in the ar$e to keep tabs on.

Buts its my feckin money and I'm not going to waste it without my knowledge.

He's phishing with the official website?:confused:
    He did offer 2 other methods with official o2 domains. your bolded part isn't the only option given

EPIC FAIL.... I LOL'ed

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Capping Mobile Broadband data limits is not just about pricing. Unlike telephone usage, one person using the service heavily will affect other users so in the interest of fairness, data usage is capped at a certain amount. All Irish operators follow the same style to ensure fair usage of the service.

It is 110% about pricing, before 3 entered the market, can you remember how much 10gb per month on o2 was?? Have a guess? 10 thousand per month, 20?
    Even at the moment if you want 10gb with o2 your forced to take an 18mt contract.
    Like for like, 12mt contracts, 7.5gb on o2 for 24.90 versus 15gb on 3 for 19.99 on a twelve month contract. That's double the usage per month all for €5 less per month.
    So in the interest of fairness why is standard o2 data limit per month half that of other operators?

The only reason o2 have a top limit 10gb cap is their hand has not been forced yet. I bet over the course of this year you will see other operators offer maybe 30gb for 39.99pm. o2 will not be first, they will eventually offer higher caps but only as a result of competitor offers. It has nothing got to do with fair usage.

anyway we could debate this all day, bosshog is in trouble, see what you can do for him paddy;)

While I think the OP is in a difficult position under contract law, it might be another situation under consumer law.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

musicmonky wrote: »

O2 should set limits on their broadband. A bit like credit card so that you can't overspend. Maybe they have this facility I don't know.

They have, it's called pay as you go broadband, operators think broadband should be classed like your mobile, they more you talk the more it costs. What's going on at the moment and it's not just o2 is one of the most anti consumer practices around. Someone else said it correctly, it's gouging on bill pay customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I think the debate about whether or not they can 'legally' pull this off is decided.

The bottom line is... "O2 Mobile Broadband, Just €1000 for 3 months, it's that simple" to paraphrase their slogan.

ref: http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Broadband?wcmarea=/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Explore+Services/Broadband

More like Customer doesn't read contract, ignores warnings and gets charged for it, it's that simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

the op said he stopped automatic updates

so , duh..

including virus updates and security updates?

a good likely hood of his o2 dongle getting compromised.

and watching rugby on streams does eat up a lot of your usage.

even if he is at fault, he could argue that o2 in this age and era of 2010 should have like lolz

a way to tell customers, via sms that you have reached your quota of 10gig

they bloody text you all shoite on the phone all the time but when it comes to bills they just **** customers up the hole tbh.

3 at least cut you off if you have opted to chose that when you reach your quota.

with massive penalties for going over a monthly quota they should cop on a bit and get their asses in gear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Ignoring all the issues of the O2 website and billing, which are well known. If you have an issue, I have found the talk2o2 guys very helpful with sorting out problems.

Theres really only one issue here. Did you use the data, or did you not. The O2 guys should be able to give you a breakdown on how the data was used.

• Advertisement

You know at first I thought the OP was a normal user who happened to be caugfht out because they downloaded too much and like many users here I advised him how he should apprach O2 with the hope of getting the bill reduced.

Now I know that he's actually most likely doing the biggest troll in the ripp-off Ireland forum as nobody can come out with the classic stuff he's said so far.

- Saying the contracts are illegal/unfair/unclear yet he states he never read it when he signed up (brilliant)
    - Doesn't know what a 1MB is despite working working websites and taking photos and has admitted to knowing what 1MB is (yet another classic moment)
    - Apparently O2 are phishing him with an official site when they advise him they'll help (this is classic stuff)
    = Rants on about the speed of his car, downloading HMV albums or other such nonsense.

Really no customer that actually has a legit issue could come out with this stuff and if they do then the clearly shouldn't be allowed sign up to any services because they'd be a danger to themselves.

At this stage even if you wanted to help him its clear he doesn't want any, the fact he';s now ignoring the O2 reps assistance is hilarious.

Here's a really simple question for you Bosshogg, baring in mind that O2 can likely pull more complex data logs for your account if they really needed to to prove the if your right or wrong, did you download the data O2 said you did?

Simple Yes or No answer :)

Now I'm sure you'll be happy to give a yes or no answer in this case right? After all you didn't download what O2 said you did right?

Now remember O2 will see your reply :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement