Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 Wireless only €950 for 3 months

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Bosshogg wrote: »
    So Paddy, me ol' helpful pal, have you ever heard of phishing?
    Have you?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

:rolleyes:

Have you heard of actually having a clue what your talking about?

Paddy is no more phishing then you are the president of the USA.

http://forums.o2online.ie/ is very much so a legit website owned and operated by O2....infact a poster in this thread has previously told you to use this forum which you've ignored.

As for talk2o2@o2.com., its very much a legit e-mail address that is also owned and operated by O2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭O2_Sheena

Hi Bosshogg,

I understand your concerns however I assure you I am not phishing. I am a moderator of Talk2o2, O2's Forum. For verification on this, please visit http://forums.o2online.ie

I look forward to hearing from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'll add that Paddy and his colleagues on that forum have been very helpful to me in the past. If you read that forum, you'll quickly realise you'll get straight and practical advice there.

You don't get an instant response. So be patient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Bosshogg

musicmonky wrote: »
    O2 should set limits on their broadband. A bit like credit card so that you can't overspend. Maybe they have this facility I don't know.
    Gosh where did we read that before?.. and you're calling me a wind up! Are you reading the posts?

Cabaal now you're calling me a troll?! So if I don't settle for your narrow minded opinion as the right and only solution then I'm the biggest troll on the Rip Off Ireland website. Hm? You adamantly defend the Comms, openly insult people that have problems with them and accuse people of falsifying the complaint when they make the suggestion that another user that claims to be from the Comms is phishing. Does your girlfriend or mother work at O2? Why are you so determined to be right on this matter? A shareholder? Why are you so aggressive in defending them now to the point you are trying to discredit me and what looks like get me banned from the forum for trolling???

Cabaal you have misqouted me so many times now that there is no point to dignify you with anymore answers. It's there for all to see. Your direct questions have already been answered so whatever you're trying now I'm not going to play along with so sit there and rant along if you want. (btw that would be trolling.) I've tried to look past your insults and not be judgemental of your personality but now I can't be bothered. Clearly you're going after me and not the problem. Honestly I think you might be ruining your credibility with this nonsense and you should just leave it.

To the forum mods:- If in any doubt I can and would be happy to provide credit card scans to valid date the complaint I'm making if it should come to that. As for invoices, well jaysis isn't it hard enough for me to get them myself.

Victor wrote: »
    While I think the OP is in a difficult position under contract law, it might be another situation under consumer law.
    This is Victor putting my point out in other words regarding the legal stand point.

Re the bottom line. Any person you, me, your bro, your mom, can have enough home/work/life affairs going on to have things get on top of him. Again I'll say I dismissed it as "O2 taking their 20 quid". Who's fault is that with regard to the T&Cs? Mine. I'm not arguing that. In my own single personal case my wife went into labour with our first baby on the night of the first invoice and by the time we got out of the hospital the default settings on the PC had deleted it - and yes I don't need it repeatedly pointed out to me that it was still my fault for not reading the invoice and not O2s problem. I get that.
    The point is that I'm still down a grand for 3 months internet. This can happen to anyone here. The forum is about pointing out rip offs to save the pockets of all that come by here.

Re: The phishing remark; when I call O2 helpdesk they ask for personal details supposedly secret to them and me before they'll do any dealings with me on the account. They want my account number, name AND address AND dob. That's every time I call. And mostly the result is no help at all including not providing me with a statement (see that Cabaal? As stated before I cannot confirm or deny my usage and O2 does not want to confirm it either). (I'll post some updates about that later.) Now somebody, a first time poster with no boards.ie credibility and a link to a website (like WOW!) claims to be Cabaal, eh, sorry, I mean talk202Paddy and how is he able to help me without my details when the stone wallers on the phone can't?

And wouldn't I be the man of the party if I did let myself get phished by an O2 rep?!

The O2 website is slow and buggy (on the O2 connection). I did try to sign up but my confirmation email didn't come through. Also the O2 Forum has what looks like about 6 users and 5 of them are probably staff. I'm sure any complaint against O2 would be bias moderated.

btw Paddy how did you hear about this thread? Just stumbled in here? Or was somebody looking for backup? Just a question. It doesn't matter.

If another bloke comes in here today and sez "fukit lads I was downloading a pirate copy of ... uh?... (fek I don't even know the name of any movies) say star wars and the 6 nations 2009, I didn't think it would be so much and O2 charged me a grand for the connection - how can it be that much?" it will still be a rip off.

Legally or contractually it's morally wrong aka Rip Off.

bbl

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Have you heard of actually having a clue what your talking about?

Paddy is no more phishing then you are the president of the USA.

While your at it could you educate me to what trolling is?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

While your at it could you educate me to what trolling is?

Your on boards.ie long enough to know that answer, also you know how to use google :)

Your on boards.ie long enough to know that answer, also you know how to use google :)

44 posts since June 2009 - Yeah I'm a veteran!

Cabaal now you're calling me a troll?! So if I don't settle for your narrow minded opinion as the right and only solution then I'm the biggest troll on the Rip Off Ireland website. Hm? You adamantly defend the Comms, openly insult people that have problems with them and accuse people of falsifying the complaint when they make the suggestion that another user that claims to be from the Comms is phishing.

I've openly insulted you, really?
    If you have a problem then I suggest you report the post to a mod.
    Does your girlfriend or mother work at O2? Why are you so determined to be right on this matter? A shareholder? Why are you so aggressive in defending them now to the point you are trying to discredit me and what looks like get me banned from the forum for trolling???

As I've clearly said before I certainly don't work for O2, used to have a O2 mobile back in the late 90's but thats about it and thats really my only link to O2 :)

I'd kindly request you leave the crazy tinfoil hat conspiracy theorys at home instead of accusing me as being a O2 emplyee or something equally foolish. :rolleyes:

Your direct questions have already been answered so whatever you're trying now I'm not going to play along with so sit there and rant along if you want. (btw that would be trolling.)

Has it?
    Its a yes or no answer then please direct me to your post

I've tried to look past your insults and not be judgemental of your personality but now I can't be bothered. Clearly you're going after me and not the problem. Honestly I think you might be ruining your credibility with this nonsense and you should just leave it.

Again I'd recommend you report the post if you think I'm getting personal and insulting you. I'm a user on this forum the same as you or anyone else (except the actul mod of this forum :) )

Re the bottom line. Any person you, me, your bro, your mom, can have enough home/work/life affairs going on to have things get on top of him. Again I'll say I dismissed it as "O2 taking their 20 quid". Who's fault is that with regard to the T&Cs? Mine. I'm not arguing that.

Good again you've admitted this again,
    So given you admit not bother to reading them how can you rant on about them not being clear?

You are supposed to read them before you sign up to a service or contract,
    In my own single personal case my wife went into labour with our first baby on the night of the first invoice

None the less you still would have been given the T&C's upon sign-up so while you did have your wife going into labour this wasn't happening when you signed up to the service
    and by the time we got out of the hospital the default settings on the PC had deleted it - and yes I don't need it repeatedly pointed out to me that it was still my fault for not reading the invoice and not O2s problem. I get that.

Your O2 bill can still be viewed via the O2 website

In previous posts you outlined that it was O2's fault for not making the invoice notification bigger yet now you say its your fault for not reading it?

Which is it?
    The point is that I'm still down a grand for 3 months internet. This can happen to anyone here. The forum is about pointing out rip offs to save the pockets of all that come by here.

Thing is its not a ripp-off, I'll agree 100% if a ripp off is a ripp-off but in your case its just a customer who doesn't understand things and didn't read the T&C's of the service they used.

Bottom line is its the end users fault not the company, there's a difference
    Re: The phishing remark; when I call O2 helpdesk they ask for personal details supposedly secret to them and me before they'll do any dealings with me on the account. They want my account number, name AND address AND dob. That's every time I call.

They are legally required to request this information under the data protection act,
    Now somebody, a first time poster with a link to a website (like WOW!) claims to be Cabaal, eh, sorry, I mean talk202Paddy and how is he able to help me without my details when the stone wallers on the phone can't?

I'm sorry are you once again suggesting I work for O2?
    I request that you retract this tinfoil hat crap you keep coming out with

I've made my position very in respect of O2, an admin or mod is welcome to question me on it to confirm it as fact. According should you suggest any further crap about me working for O2 then I'll be reporting your posts.
    And wouldn't I be the man of the party if I did let myself get phished by an O2 rep?!

Its clear he's an employee of O2 and its clear he's not just 1st level support, accordingly its clear he should be able to assist you further.

Of course if your not going to bother trying to resolve the issue with O2 first Comreg and the likes won't give a monkeys as you must first follow a companys complaint procedure before Comreg will even look at you.

Lets not forget this thread is a written record of the fact that you'r not going to bother contacting O2 even after they request you to.
    The O2 website is slow and buggy (on the O2 connection). I did try to sign up but my confirmation email didn't come through. Also the O2 Forum has what looks like about 6 users and 5 of them are probably staff. I'm sure any complaint against O2 would be bias moderated.

6 active users, 5 of which are staff, your kidding me right?
    More of your inane ramblings not based on fact
    O2 Forum Stats as available on their website
    Threads: 7,134, Posts: 89,438, Members: 7,235, Active Members: 753
    Welcome to our newest member, jmcorcoran
    Today's Top Poster(s): Paddy (28), Gooch2k4 (21), cookie (15), stuffandnonsense (6)

and

Currently Active Users: 638 (48 members and 590 guests)

Yeah 5 or 6 users :rolleyes:
    btw Paddy how did you hear about this thread? Just stumbled in here? Or was somebody looking for backup? Just a question. It doesn't matter.

Once again more suggestions that I work for O2 and I'll be reporting your posts, I don't like being accused that I work for a company just because I point out the mistake of a user.
    If another bloke comes in here today and sez "fukit lads I was downloading a pirate copy of ... uh?... (fek I don't even know the name of any movies) say star wars and the 6 nations 2009, I didn't think it would be so much and O2 charged me a grand for the connection - how can it be that much?" it will still be a rip off.

If any users comes onto this forum or for that matter any forum on boards with such a complaint then they'll be told that they are an idiot first and formal for admitting to downloading copyright content.

Then nobody will give them pitty, this I can almost guarantee.....trying post just what you've typed above and see what the responses will be, seriously :)

Legally or contractually it's morally wrong aka Rip Off.

bbl

Morals and legal are not the same thing, please don't mix them up its insulting to people that actually know the difference.

Legally what O2 did was by the book and until its proven as otherwise this doesn't change this actual fact.

Morals can be twisted and as seen from your posts you clearly have done that a good in this thread :)

You've been told where you can get help, the O2 forum. The O2 people on the O2 forum will have your details when you register and can check you are who you say you are via your number and your call details. The 02 has a lot of members/uers .

http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/memberlist.php

TBH you've nothing to lose by trying it. Unless you really don't have a problem and just want to flame O2 here and argue with people here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭O2_Sheena

Hi Bosshogg

I assure you that I am an employee of O2 Ireland. Please feel free to contact us using of the means previded in previous posts.

We are here to help but without your contact details we are unable to resolve this matter.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Yep the lads over on the o2 forum are fast an prompt at replies, to be honest i find it much better than having to ring them up, you post your query/problem... go for a number 2, come back and you'll more than likely have a reply

I've openly insulted you, really?
    If you have a problem then I suggest you report the post to a mod.

I'd kindly request you leave the crazy tinfoil hat conspiracy theorys

I request that you retract this tinfoil hat crap you keep coming out with

According should you suggest any further crap about me working for O2 then I'll be reporting your posts.

More of your inane ramblings not based on fact

If any users comes onto this forum or for that matter any forum on boards with such a complaint then they'll be told that they are an idiot first

That's just your last post Cabaal.
    Right well I don't do the tattle tale "I'll tell the op on you bit!", I prefer to let everyone be themselves. If I don't like it I pay little to no attention to them. If that's not openly insulting another member then I don't know how far it has to go before it is. On that basis I'll be paying little to no attention to your posts. You've had your say, made your point over and over. I've no interest reading from your frustrations (in this thread anyway although I do think forums are a great way to get things out of your system so I might see you elsewhere and play along there).

Paddy the first place I intended to raise the issue publicly was on the O2 forum. I signed up, it was acting buggy, I can log in but can't post because I didn't get the confirmation email. I have been on the phone several times to helpdesk staff. I'll post details of a call where helpdesk Michelle refused to send me details of my activity and stated that I need to get a solicitor to release them. Comreg has told me otherwise and that a letter to O2 should make them legally required to give me details of my charges where O2 claim I was file sharing. I won't accept some techy saying "he must have been" I want a report.
    As I said before even if I did legally download files over the 10GB allowance the charges are ludicris.

Paddy I've no belief in getting my money back so I've let go of that fact. We look at the family finances now and that's where were at. We accept it. The way things are going now I'd say it's getting harder for me to take the money back even if it was given to me. Put it another way, my €1000 is not a carrot that tempts or motivates me anymore. What can I say?, I'm a man of principals and I don't want anyone getting financially hurt like this again. Even my best thread mate Cabaal. :D

O2 sticking a contract in my face to show me how O2 are legally correct is no consolation to a family man billed for a grand. So I have many legal ways to return the compliment. I doubt no matter what the outcome of my situation, no one reading this "buyer beware" post that O2 do in fact charge €200 quid for 10GB will ever subscribe to an O2 service on basis of fear that it could happen to them too. Look at the hit count already. Look how the thread got back to you. So O2 can go on being technically and legally correct in taking my money if they want. And I have a legal and technical right to tell everyone about my financial business. It can't do O2 any harm right? It is on their website "2c per megabyte" that's €200 for 10gb.
    btw as a side note, the good gestures keep comig... it will cost me €165 euro to get away from them before the infamous contract ends.
    If any users comes onto this forum or for that matter any forum on boards with such a complaint then they'll be told that they are an idiot first and formal for admitting to downloading copyright content.
    I'll post a receipt for my latest online purchase - Rage Against the XFactor from Play.com unless that makes me an idiot? Only 99cents great value.
    A copy of malwarebytes for about €18 roughly around the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

Victor wrote: »
    While I think the OP is in a difficult position under contract law, it might be another situation under consumer law.

From this doc on the NCA's website:

http://www.nca.ie/eng/Research_Zone/Consultation/Advertising/NCA_draft_guidelines_on_advertising_prices.doc
    “A commercial practice is misleading if it would be likely to cause the average consumer to be deceived, or misled in relation to any manner set out in subsection (3) and to make a transactional decision that the average consumer would not otherwise make”.
    Subsection 3 includes (from the same doc):
    the main characteristics of a product including, factors associated with availability, including without limitation its availability at a particular time or place or at a particular price.
    I'm no lawyer, but it's probably fair to say that specifying the excess rate in units 1000 times smaller than the allowance could cause an average consumer to be misled.

You know at first I thought the OP was a normal user who happened to be caugfht out because they downloaded too much and like many users here I advised him how he should apprach O2 with the hope of getting the bill reduced.

Now I know that he's actually most likely doing the biggest troll in the ripp-off Ireland forum as nobody can come out with the classic stuff he's said so far.

I think that's a little unfair and OP is probably making sense of what happened after getting whacked with a 950 Euro bill. I've a good deal of technical experience and still managed to be mis-sold a data product by Vodafone a couple of years back - it can happen to anyone. Had they not been so helpful I'd have been on to ComReg, my local TDs and even used the Joe Duffy Option if necessary.

I agree with you that not taking an O2 rep up on their offer to help probably isn't wise though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

http://www.nca.ie/eng/Research_Zone/Consultation/Advertising/NCA_draft_guidelines_on_advertising_prices.doc

I'm no lawyer, but it's probably fair to say that specifying the excess rate in units 1000 times smaller than the allowance could cause an average consumer to be misled.

No, its perfectly acceptable practice.

What about making a premium rate call that states its, say, 1.50 for the first 5 minutes, and 2c per second afterwards?

Its no different.

And in fairness, ALL ISP's perform this practice. [hypothetical]The OP was downloading lots of pr0n or something, the wife saw the bill, and now he's trying to make out it was a mistake. Simple.[/hypothetical]

The data WAS downloaded via his dongle, using his account. Now if the dongle is passed between multiple machines, and someone else downloaded that data - well thats still the OP's fault for not monitoring HIS own connection.

O2 are not to blame here - though I do feel these companies (ISP's) could go a lot further to notify you if you had reached the FUP limit.

The 'average' consumer would not go over the 10GB limit. And anyone I know that would be downloading that much stuff, definitely knows the difference between a MB and a GB.

The OP may feel aggrieved - but he didn't bother checking the first huge bill, never mind the one that followed. I ALWAYS check my bills, even if its just a quick glance to see if its within the ball park of what I usually pay.

If I spot one thats 25 times more expensive than usual - you will be damn sure I'll investigate straight away, and ensure it doesn't happen again - let alone 2 months on the trot.

Too busy for this, new baby that - they're just excuses that you didn't bother your barney checking your bills, or probably knew they were high and have merely decided recently to get annoyed about it.

Oh, and another +1 for O2online - they have been brilliant with me in the past resolving a few issues. In fact, I'd go as far as to say other companies should follow O2's lead in this regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I think that's a little unfair and OP is probably making sense of what happened after getting whacked with a 950 Euro bill. I've a good deal of technical experience and still managed to be mis-sold a data product by Vodafone a couple of years back - it can happen to anyone. Had they not been so helpful I'd have been on to ComReg, my local TDs and even used the Joe Duffy Option if necessary.

I agree. This whole thread is very strange in the amount of people siding with 02 for charging someone €950 for 3 months broadband. The tone and attitude displayed to the op on a 'Consumer Issues' forum is not very suitable either in my view.

:D

Morlar wrote: »
    I agree. This whole thread is very strange in the amount of people siding with 02 for charging someone €950 for 3 months broadband. The tone and attitude displayed to the op on a 'Consumer Issues' forum is not very suitable either in my view.

Thats not the issue. O2 charged ~€60 for 3 months usage. The extra was down to excessive downloading - which could have been sorted after the first bill had the OP bothered.

That's just your last post Cabaal.

If you read my response you'll note that three of my comments are clearly in relation to your totally unfounded incorrectly and misleading statements that I work for O2 or are in some way linked to O2.

I take great offense at such remarks,

In relation to:
    If any users comes onto this forum or for that matter any forum on boards with such a complaint then they'll be told that they are an idiot first

Ah now don't go making incorrect statments once again, you gave an example, the example never said that YOU downloaded illegal content you simply stated an example of a user doing so as you clearly stated:
    If another bloke comes in here today and sez

So care to retract your incorrect suggestion that this was somehow a insult to you?.......unless of course you did download copyright material and admit to it in which case you are an idiot and I will stand by that as its very much illegal.

Of course if you didn't download copyright material then your not an idiot and you have nothing to worry about :)

Right well I don't do the tattle tale "I'll tell the op on you bit!", I prefer to let everyone be themselves. If I don't like it I pay little to no attention to them. If that's not openly insulting another member then I don't know how far it has to go before it is.

Thing is I didn't insulting another user and if I did then report the post in question don't just make wild accusations , :)
    On that basis I'll be paying little to no attention to your posts. You've had your say, made your point over and over. I've no interest reading from your frustrations (in this thread anyway although I do think forums are a great way to get things out of your system so I might see you elsewhere and play along there).

Forums are fantastic they allow users to air their views including my views that there's some many holes in your argument that it looks like swiss cheese.

Of course it isn't just my view its also the view of others and its backed up by your very much conflicting statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Paddy I've no belief in getting my money back so I've let go of that fact.

It seems your letting some sort of pride and the feeling of being hard done by get in the way of the fact that there is options open to you. If you stand by your claims of not downloading 38GB then I think you would mad not to at least go and talk to Paddy over on the O2 forum. After all the bickering is done and dusted here on boards you will still be down 900euro.

No, its perfectly acceptable practice.

What about making a premium rate call that states its, say, 1.50 for the first 5 minutes, and 2c per second afterwards?

Its no different.

I see your point, but seconds and minutes are units and average person will be a lot more familiar with that GB and MB. The latter could mislead someone a lot easier.
    And in fairness, ALL ISP's perform this practice.

That's probably true, but if all your friends jumped out a window...
    [hypothetical]The OP was downloading lots of pr0n or something, the wife saw the bill, and now he's trying to make out it was a mistake. Simple.[/hypothetical]

The data WAS downloaded via his dongle, using his account. Now if the dongle is passed between multiple machines, and someone else downloaded that data - well thats still the OP's fault for not monitoring HIS own connection.

This is a tough one alright. I could argue that O2 should have logs to prove that this isn't the case but then we run into privacy issues, not to mention the various technical workarounds that the OP could (hypothetically) employ. I guess it's up to the OP to give some reasonable evidence besides his word that this wasn't the case.

O2 are not to blame here - though I do feel these companies (ISP's) could go a lot further to notify you if you had reached the FUP limit.

I'd argue that they're partially to blame, after all advertising excess charges in MB isn't very clear to the consumer and could lead to them being misled. But yeah, OP is partially responsible as well and should probably provide any usage evidence he can to help is case.

The 'average' consumer would not go over the 10GB limit. And anyone I know that would be downloading that much stuff, definitely knows the difference between a MB and a GB.

I wouldn't be so sure about that :), but in any case I think 'average' in terms of CPA and the like refers to their ability to suss out an offer rather than a usage pattern.

The OP may feel aggrieved - but he didn't bother checking the first huge bill, never mind the one that followed. I ALWAYS check my bills, even if its just a quick glance to see if its within the ball park of what I usually pay.

If I spot one thats 25 times more expensive than usual - you will be damn sure I'll investigate straight away, and ensure it doesn't happen again - let alone 2 months on the trot.

I agree with you here, it's a good lesson for anyone reading this thread.
    Too busy for this, new baby that - they're just excuses that you didn't bother your barney checking your bills, or probably knew they were high and have merely decided recently to get annoyed about it.

Ah come on, a new baby is hardly just a bit of this and that... Nah OP may well have just copped on after three months and is now very upset about it.

Oh, and another +1 for O2online - they have been brilliant with me in the past resolving a few issues. In fact, I'd go as far as to say other companies should follow O2's lead in this regard.

Fair play to them for coming on to this thread alright, hopefully the OP will take them up on their offer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Yes that is very odd when you take into fact that the same OP who starts with claiming not knowing the size of a MB or what it is after using computers for 15 years and designing websites; who then turn around and claim to know what it is. Who claimed to do "nothing special" online only to turn around and admit to watch streaming material. The same person who claimed it was O2s fault for not provding him with clear idea of the contract only to be shown a very plain english detailed information of it was ready available at any time. The same OP who claims it is O2s fault that he did not have time to read the invoices and then turn around and admit it was his fault for not reading them when available because "the first once where right" out of 3 invoices. The same OP who has been given the advice on how to proceed and how to contact O2 several times by users AND O2 directly and yet still refuses to do so and stay on the moral high horses that this is O2s fault with out even contacting them to resolve it?

Yes, I can't see any reason why the OP would not be considered a troll by any one as this sounds as the normal actions of a normal user who've got into a spot of problem.

To OP, if you are not a troll you're behaving like one and you are fully aware what a troll is as well as this is not in any way a boards.ie term. As at this stage I can't assume that you are anything but a troll all I can say is well played sir, well played.

Nody wrote: »
    if you are not a troll you're behaving like one .... I can't assume that you are anything but a troll

Post reported.

I agree. This whole thread is very strange in the amount of people siding with 02 for charging someone €950 for 3 months broadband.

I understand where you coming from I really do but this isn't a whole lot different to a customer of Perlico or any ISP being charged for going over their cap, if you look at the Broadband forum you'll see the response to such users generally includes very little pitty.
    The tone and attitude displayed to the op on a 'Consumer Issues' forum is not very suitable either in my view.

This isn't the Consumer Issues forum for a start its Ripp-Off Ireland which tends to be more ranty then consumer issues :)

This isn't the Consumer Issues forum for a start its Ripp-Off Ireland which tends to be more ranty then consumer issues :)

Fair enough - if you re-read that read it as ' sub forum of consumer issues' - the gist is the same. It is not an 'Horrifically gouging overcharging suppliers forum' was my point, it is consumer oriented issues, of consumers not suppliers.

I see your point, but seconds and minutes are units and average person will be a lot more familiar with that GB and MB. The latter could mislead someone a lot easier.

If someone knows how to download that amount of stuff in a month (it would have to be torrents or large programs etc) they would know what a MB is.

That's probably true, but if all your friends jumped out a window...

Thats not the point, its how its done with ISP's - and while its not perfect, it is the currently accepted practice for pricing over limit traffic.

This is a tough one alright. I could argue that O2 should have logs to prove that this isn't the case but then we run into privacy issues, not to mention the various technical workarounds that the OP could (hypothetically) employ. I guess it's up to the OP to give some reasonable evidence besides his word that this wasn't the case.

The thing is, these days people seem to think that they can sue for anything, and no responsibility lies with the consumer - this is totally false. That is WHY there are contracts to sign, and T&C's to adhere to.

I'd argue that they're partially to blame, after all advertising excess charges in MB isn't very clear to the consumer and could lead to them being misled. But yeah, OP is partially responsible as well and should probably provide any usage evidence he can to help is case.

They advertise the cost - what more can they do? Nearly all of your software will show you usage in MB until you go past the GB limit. This does however assume you generally would not go more than 1GB over limit - as the pricing in MB would be easier to track. Also, they would have to give a pricing of €20 per GB, which would mean having to divide it down to figure out your usage cost. So in one way, this actually benefits the 'average' joe. However, there is no perfect way of doing this.

I wouldn't be so sure about that :), but in any case I think 'average' in terms of CPA and the like refers to their ability to suss out an offer rather than a usage pattern.

I sort of answered this above also.

I agree with you here, it's a good lesson for anyone reading this thread.

To validate this point, I have been stung by large bills before too - and learnt my lesson, I guess thats why I don;t have any sympathy for anyone else. I took it on the chin, because I knew I'd used that amount (well, in hindsight anyway).

Ah come on, a new baby is hardly just a bit of this and that... Nah OP may well have just copped on after three months and is now very upset about it.

It takes 2 seconds to look at the bottom line on a bill. I have 1 child, and one just about due any day - I'd still check my bills.

Fair play to them for coming on to this thread alright, hopefully the OP will take them up on their offer.

I hope so too. They can help.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Lads, this thread is getting a bit personal and I've had a few reports on it already. I'm closing it down and I suggest the OP goes to the O2 forum to have his say. The lads over there, including Paddy, are very good and do their best to help people out. If the OP get's some new info from O2 or needs some more help from here, please feel free to PM me and I'll re-open the thread for further discussion. Thanks!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Ok, seems there plenty of interest in this thread and it does have potential but please keep it on track and any messing will get a 1 week ban!

• Advertisement

So if this is on Rip Off then the issue is soley about pricing.

If its about disputing that he used the data then it should be somewhere else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement