Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insomnia medication

Options
  • 09-01-2010 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

I have suffered with insomnia for some years now and have tried everything. My last option was to go on prescription pills. So far i have been on Halcion, Noctamid, Stilnoct, Zoldon,Ambien,Zimovane, and Valium. I probably would of been better off with tic tacs. I know that I cannot keep upping the dosage because past experience (with doctors consent) resulted in serious memory loss and anxiety. At my wits end now and really unsure of what to do. I have followed all the other tips such as changing diet, no caffeine, using bed only for sleep etc etc so anyone out there with any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Try exercising before going to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Colpriz

I wouldnt excercise before bed as you will be too wound up, try meditation or relaxing music before bed. Excercise during the daytime or morning instead.

can you describe your typical sleeping patterns / insomnia experience in more detail please?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭MB44

I have tried meditation but find it difficult to relax.

I usually go to bed at 10 and try to sleep at 12 but could be trying for hours. Last nite was the worst. Bed at 11 and lying there until 8a.m this morning. When i do get sleep it is very light and only for a few hours and the way i get proper sleep is going a few days and just literally shutting down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Colpriz

Depending on your age you may not need as much sleep as younger people. I think going to bed at 10 is quite early if you expect to be up at 8. You could try going a little later maybe at 12 or when you feel more tired.

Do you get any natural sunlight during the day or work indoors with artificial light? We particularly here in Ireland get little sunshine which depletes our vit d levels, this has a knock on effect to mood chemicals in the brain which efx our anxiety/stress levels and can produce interrupted sleep or insomnia.

Worth trying some vit suppliments, natural remedies as you dont wana b strung out on meds. Also on the same note the eye triggers the brain into waking up by letting light in in the morning and the similarly the brain releases melatonin which promotes sleep through the night (promoted by darkness). If you can adjust your body clock to avail of light/ dark situations to get it in synch it might ease your symptoms a little, thats if you feel there is an imblance there and could potentially optimise your situation

Advertisement