Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking on a frozen lake.

Options
  • 09-01-2010 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Well, has anybody tried it yet?

There is a lake outside my home place in Kilcolgan. On inspection this morning I found there to be 3 to 4 inches of clear ice. From what I can gather this is sufficient to attempt a crossing.....

http://www.mvp-wc.usace.army.mil/ice/ice_load.html

I plan to suit up in a wet suit and wear a buoyancy aid. In addition to this I will pull my Kayak behind me. Not altogether life saving precautions, but if I get in to difficultly it may give me a couple of extra seconds.

I am fully aware that this isn't a 100% safe as activities go, but as you all know this weather is a once in a half century occurrence. And, well, you have to push the boundaries of your comfort zone every now and again.

Only post positive feedback please folks. No lectures!. What I am attempting isn't any more dangerous than over taking car's around a bend, binge drinking or smoking! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

kevcos wrote: »
    Well, has anybody tried it yet?

Yes.Two men tried it in the UK yesterday. Lets hope they enjoyed it because they're now dead.

I am fully aware that this isn't a 100% safe as activities go, but as you all know this weather is a once in a half century occurrence. And, well, you have to push the boundaries of your comfort zone every now and again.

Only post positive feedback please folks. No lectures!

It's sounds as though your idea of positive feedback is "go ahead, kill yourself, enjoy!".

It's completely irresponsible to start a thread that promotes the idea that this might be a fun idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭lovelyhome

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,491 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Will make this short and sweet.

Don't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Will make this short and sweet.

Don't do it.
    but if you do post some pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Only post positive feedback please folks. No lectures!. What I am attempting isn't any more dangerous than over taking car's around a bend, binge drinking or smoking! :)

My hero........

Swooning_Flapper_by_angelsfalldown1.jpg

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

was done out the road from me in lough gur

http://video.aol.co.uk/video-detail/lough-gur-frozen-over/2272594681

good luck!

i dont wanna be reading about you in tomorrows national paper or seeing guards at the lake on the 6one so be careful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

lovelyhome wrote: »
    Yes if you do go ahead it be aware of all the risks. Lake may hold up but then again it may not. And then the emergency services are involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

Don't forget that when you go through the ice, you'll be sharing airspace with the heavy slabs of ice that you just broke. The bouyancy aid is a neccesity, but its still a bad idea. Whats the kayak for btw? Surely more of a hindrance than a help. If anything, carry the paddle, or a long pole, to help spread your weight when the ice breaks.

Advice: if its a real lake, don't bother. If its a 1ft deep pond, go nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

http://www.darwinawards.com/

This is silly.

Pix in a S.A.E. to the usual address plz.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement