Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yorkies out in the cold - advice needed

Options
  • 09-01-2010 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We've 2 yorkies, an 8 yr old and a 5 yr old. They stay indoors the majority of the time, and they have a kennel out the back that they stay in whle we're out at work etc. I made the kennel myself; it's water-tight and also well insulated (2 layers of walls & waterproofing material).

With the bad weather recently we've been worrying about putting them out for the day. They sleep together in the kennel, in a fleece covered bed, with 2 fleece blankets thrown in for good measure!

Next week is the first time since before Christmas that they're gonna be out for a whole day. Have we done enough or will they still be cold? Even now when we let them out to go to the toilet they run out, do their business and run straight back to the door to be let back in!

I know fleece is nice and warm, and it also holds very little water, so it's a good material to use for bedding etc. as opposed to ordinary sheets/blankets. Is there anything else we could put into the kennel to keep them snug?

Also, their water bowls out the back are freezing over. Any tips on preventing that?

Sorry for the long post! Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Why not leave them in the house til the frost clears.... Its too cold to leave them out even with that bedding. Its snowing here all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

i would say definitly inside - they dont have much in the way of insulation themselves they will be freezing if not dead by the time you get back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

We've been leaving our three dogs in when we go to work lately, two of them are mostly outside dogs so I've nothing against people who do leave their dogs outside when they go to work but I wouldn't leave them outside in this cold and to be honest its been no hassle having them in. My Chihuahua is inside 99% of the time but she is sick today and I can only put it down the having to let her go outside to pee, I think even that has been too much cold for her so I couldn't imagine how two little yorkies would face all day in the cold. If you could get a crate (even just a lend of one until the weather improves) and leave in that while your in work their would be v.little mess to put up with when you get home.

For the water bowl I will often boil the kettle and pour that in and then cool it down with a little colder water, it won't prevent it from freezing completely but it will help it to stay liquid for longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Is the kennel out of the wind? and does it have a doggy door?
    You could also maybe invest in one of those heat lamps too.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Leave them inside, if you have a utility room or a small area where they can be confined (or even a puppy pen) they will be much better off, and you wont be worrying about them during the day when you're out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Definitely bring them in, small dogs like yorkies are bred to be kept as ''lap'' dogs and be kept indoors almost all the time. They most be freezing and would be so much happier indoors. Lock them into a small room with no carpet, like a bathroom or utitlity room. Give them some food, blankets, toys and water and your good to go. You might have some doggy ''business'' to clean up, but being a dog owner you shouldn't mind having to spend about five minutes doing that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

star-pants wrote: »
    Is the kennel out of the wind? and does it have a doggy door?
    You could also maybe invest in one of those heat lamps too.

Yes the kennel is in a corner (where 2 walls meet) and also has legs so the floor is about 2 inches up off the ground (so no ground cold). Does not have a doggy door though.

To be honest I'm shocked at some of the responses - I'll come home to find the dogs dead?

Their routine is to be put out in the morning before we leave for work etc. They have some food in the morning, then get fresh water left outside the back door; and get a chew each to keep them occupied. They love being outside though. I've often come home early (on a half day or whatever) and had a sneaky look out. Sometimes they're running around playing together, or having a good sniff around, or chasing birds! It seems more cruel to lock them in a room for the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Would you consider a form of doggy door? to keep out the draught? and a heat lamp that maybe you can set to a time so it doesn't get too hot etc in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I know it seems sensationalist to say you will come home to dead dogs. But it may not be too far from the truth. They certainly wont be comfy out there. Birds and other wildlife are dying due to the cold.

Next door to me is a lab who is only 2, she is walking around like a really old dog. Like the cold has gotten into her joints. Now there is a difference to your dogs, the poor babys owners couldn't care less, she's out 24/7 and no extra heat for her at all, just a tiny kennel. You obviously care!

I think if the dogs like being out so much then Starpants recommendation of a heat lamp woul be best. A nice cosy kennel and all the freedom they love. IMO it is too cold to leave them out in this weather with just blankets. Especially with snow on the ground, they will be wet most of the time. They are not bred for it. If you can't get a heatlamp I think maybe keep them in. They may not like it, but you need to decide whats best for them, not what they will prefer if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

My dogs normally are normally out when I'm out and in when I'm in but this weather I've been keeping them in all the time, some of them don't particularily being cooped up all the time (mind you, the terriers love being in!) but I'm just worried that they'd be too cold.

I'd keep them in just during the cold spell, just in case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I would say leave them in, especially since they have been in now for a few weeks and are used to the warmth.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Hi,

We've 2 yorkies, an 8 yr old and a 5 yr old. They stay indoors the majority of the time, and they have a kennel out the back that they stay in whle we're out at work etc. I made the kennel myself; it's water-tight and also well insulated (2 layers of walls & waterproofing material).

With the bad weather recently we've been worrying about putting them out for the day. They sleep together in the kennel, in a fleece covered bed, with 2 fleece blankets thrown in for good measure!

Next week is the first time since before Christmas that they're gonna be out for a whole day. Have we done enough or will they still be cold? Even now when we let them out to go to the toilet they run out, do their business and run straight back to the door to be let back in!

I know fleece is nice and warm, and it also holds very little water, so it's a good material to use for bedding etc. as opposed to ordinary sheets/blankets. Is there anything else we could put into the kennel to keep them snug?

Also, their water bowls out the back are freezing over. Any tips on preventing that?

Sorry for the long post! Thanks!!

Hi Steviecakes.

Obviously it's not feasable for everyone to keep their dogs in doors all the time. Your kennel sounds like a fabulous set-up with all the layers of insulation in it!

Do they have a door on it to prevent the wind getting in at them? If not you can make your own out of the stuff used for commercial freezers. I can't remember the name but it's plastic type material. Just cut slits in it and nail it above the kennel door.

As for keeping the kennel a little cosier. How about wood chipping? I have that in Gunnars kennel underneath his 2 vet beds as it won't freeze. Other people use straw. Straw will need to be changed every few weeks however,

As for the water. Did anyone in the house get presents wrapped in styrofoam this year :D IF they did and you still have it it's wonderfull for putting bowls of water into to prevent them freezng as fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Nic'name

I would most definitely agree with the majority and keep them in. If you're worrying that they'll get bored they have each other. Leave the tv or a radio on so they wont be howling (they'll think you're still at home). You may not return to dead dogs but very ill dogs if you leave them out all day. They're are many toys you can buy to combat boredom. In particular feeding balls...you could even make one. Get a rubber ball of appropriate size (one with a hole big enough to insert treats into). Place food/treats inside, then leave the ball out before leaving for work. Here's another few ideas I found online....2 lazy to think of others. It's been a long time since I studied animals. http://www.healthyhappydogs.com/Article.Boredom
    I think you'll have to accept that they'll be staying in for a few weeks and do a bit of googling to combat boredom. Otherwise I think you've a fantastic set up for the 2 dogs. This weather is just so unusual for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

To be honest I'm shocked at some of the responses - I'll come home to find the dogs dead?

Are you aware that Yorkies have no undercoat?
    Their coat is very similar to our own hair. They do not retain heat as well as an undercoated breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

They love being outside though. I've often come home early (on a half day or whatever) and had a sneaky look out. Sometimes they're running around playing together, or having a good sniff around, or chasing birds! It seems more cruel to lock them in a room for the day!

My dogs are the same, I've often come home and found them sunbathing or happily digging holes in my lawn :rolleyes: so fully agree that normally they should be left out but just with this weather it's a harder decision.

Do you live near the coast where the temp is a few degrees warmer? Or could you invest in fleece coats for them so they won't be loosing heat? Or maybe if you have a good neighbour who would let them out for the middle part of the day when it's warmer and then put them back in when it's getting chillier? Then they'd be in for the colder parts of the day but out in the warmer parts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I agree small toy dogs like Yorkies are not able for this cold, going out for a pee and playing about in the garden with their owners is fine but left out for the day isn't safe in these temperatures.

I have a toy breed myself, not a Yorkie but he wouldn't be of similar delicate build as a Yorkie and has now undercoat, he is fine going out for a pee and when we're out with him running around with the other dogs but he gets cold after about half an hour esp. if he stops running about.

Some dogs are weathered with thick winter coats, the Yorkies wouldn't be and deffo. should not be left out in this weather, I know saying they could be dead seems to be an exaggeration but actually it's better to be safe than sorry they aren't very hardy and the temps. are so extreme even horses are perishing.

Keep them in definetly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

That's the thing though the warmer parts of the day at the moment are still freezing and -6 in some places and they aren't rising. Putting a coat on a dog can help but left unsupervised they can get them caught in things or get stuck trying to take them off.

Yorkies are toy breeds and bottom line is too delicate to be left out in this weather, not saying it's wrong to pop them out in the garden when someones off at work but for the next few weeks it's aparently going to be freezing so until the weather warms up again they ..not should..they must be kept indoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I've often read threads like this and seen people say stuff like "It's a dog... shur it will be grand"... (I am not saying the OP or anyone in this thread has this attitude).
    Our pet dogs are "man-made"- there is no natural selection involved in their breeding and little in their keeping since they do not have to feed and fend for themselves.
    Many of them, especially the small/lap breeds are bred for what they look like and how friendly they are, they are not bred to cope with the cold... there are some breeds like Newfoundlands and Huskies that are, but most breeds are not. Just because a dog is an animal doesn't mean it should be left in the great outdoors in all weather. For a breed with no undercoat (Yorkie/Maltese etc) or a very fine coat (and usually little body fat, e.g. Greyhound, Dobermann) I would say that if you would need to wear a jumper in that weather, then your dog will also be cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

I have a tiny Jack Russell and she went out for half an hour to play before Christmas, this was before the weather got extremely cold like it is now. That night she was miserable, her eyes were gunky and she couldn't open them right, she didn't want to play or eat. I had planned to bring her to the vet first thing the next morning, but thankfully she had cleared up by morning. Yorkies have no undercoat, so if it is affecting my Jack, then it's going to definitely affect your Yorkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So many of us have never seen weather this extreme before and it is making new inroads on our lives.

And it is hard for us to accept just how extreme these temperatures are and the effect they have.

So we have to make new ways often.

They will play indoors together. And be safe until the weather relents.

• Advertisement
Advertisement