Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All in one computers

• 09-01-2010 4:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

These things seem to be the comimg thing, anybody have any experience with them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tpotter

I have used the Mac versions quite a bit, which it seems like most of the models by companies like Dell and Sony are modeled after.

My view on them is that while they work fine and even have a bunch of neat features, it basically ends up being a less portable laptop.

As a result, you get the functionality of a desktop, without being able to easily upgrade/change* the individual components. You also get the size of a laptop, without being able to actually take it with you anywhere. So, it doesn't add all that much value.

I am not a fan of this style of computer, but I can see why they appeal to less technical users. You have fewer wires and it takes up less space, all while looking rather shiny. I can see how in a business setting, or even stores that use computer displays, why these might be a popular choice.

However, for a power user or gamer, I don't see any advantage of this style.

With all that said, I do imagine they will become a lot more common among less technical users, making them more profitable for the major manufacturers, which will lead to them becoming more common place.

*This could of course be said of most Apple products, but in the context of All-in-one computers, it applies to other manufacturers as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

I agree that because you cannot upgrade or repair your machine that thse devices are very limited however this one has left me a little smitten. It is near enough gaming spec for the money(€600) and rather beautiful looking. I am looking for a different type of machine altogether but I keep drifting towards this one.

http://eu.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=654&cat2_no=666&prod_no=1952

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I agree that because you cannot upgrade or repair your machine that thse devices are very limited however this one has left me a little smitten. It is near enough gaming spec for the money(€600) and rather beautiful looking. I am looking for a different type of machine altogether but I keep drifting towards this one.

http://eu.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=654&cat2_no=666&prod_no=1952
    Just be warned, those specs are nowhere near a gaming rig. The ion chipset is designed for things like netbooks. You could likely get a better gaming desktop for half the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

That looks pretty sweet if you ask me, I say go for it! MSI are a reliable brand and not a rotten fruit... :)

MC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

The newest one from MSI is the AE2220 and has just been reviewed on Benchmark Reviews:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=424&Itemid=66

Komplett were due to get it in today:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=579148

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,231 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The all in one iMacs have been nothing but a disaster for Apple,

http://gizmodo.com/5436442/apple-has-thwarted-my-efforts-so-i-need-your-help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Not everyone is a power user (whatever that is supposed to mean) or a gamer! I have recently acquired of of these machines, a nice 19" Asus. It does everything that I need, has a nice touch screen and bluetooth keyb and mouse.I would recommend this to anyone who needs a workhorse computer.

I despair when people come across with this upgrade lark. Basically you get this all in one, put in a decent bit of ram and away you go. Play stations, wis and the like are good enough for gaming and when the "gurus" need to upgrade their "rigs" (what a silly name for a PC) they can get the lates graphic card which probbly needs a new MB and processor to exploit. Then there's the ddr3 ram which has to be got. All that is left are the HDDs and the claptrap optical drives.

The bottom line is that manufacturers seem to change their stuff every three years so the *cough* gaming rig, aka PC, will be underperforming compared to the new stuff!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Overheal wrote: »
    The all in one iMacs have been nothing but a disaster for Apple,

http://gizmodo.com/5436442/apple-has-thwarted-my-efforts-so-i-need-your-help
    There's a lot of screen problems with the new 27 inch ones alright. They are on hold while Apple fix the problem. But iMacs have been far from a disaster for Apple. They've been making them since 1998. They've been enormously successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭BlueSpud

If a you are entering a beauty contest, then go ahead, if not, then consider what you want to get out of your purchase. As has been stated, if you want power, this is not the machine, if you want a light machine for portability, this is not your machine. If you are looking for a basic machine that you might occasionally want to bring with you, the do consider it. I have a very chunky laptop and it is a drag if I have to carry it long distances so be warned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Heinrich wrote: »
    The bottom line is that manufacturers seem to change their stuff every three years so the *cough* gaming rig, aka PC, will be underperforming compared to the new stuff!

My pc built for just under 1k three years ago with a 350 euro investment a year ago would wipe the floor with that machine in graphics, memory, hard-drive space, processing power, functionality and upgradability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Yeah but you couldn't cram it all into your LCD monitor casing could ya? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

That looks far to similar to the old Apple Cinema Displays...

g4_powermac.jpg

My pc built for just under 1k three years ago with a 350 euro investment a year ago would wipe the floor with that machine in graphics, memory, hard-drive space, processing power, functionality and upgradability.

I suppose that explains the difference between a PC and a "rig". :D

It all depends what you want a PC for. One of mine is used for page layout. Another one is for video editing.

When you get to upgrade you will be looking at a new generation processor and main board. As for disc storage - cheap as chips. ;)

I use a mop for wiping the floor. Bottom line is that, following the electronic evolution, upgrades are a waste! But you know that.

Heinrich wrote: »
    I suppose that explains the difference between a PC and a "rig". :D

It all depends what you want a PC for. One of mine is used for page layout. Another one is for video editing.

When you get to upgrade you will be looking at a new generation processor and main board. As for disc storage - cheap as chips. ;)

I use a mop for wiping the floor. Bottom line is that, following the electronic evolution, upgrades are a waste! But you know that.

Have you considered upgrading that mop to a all-in-one?

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Yeah but you couldn't cram it all into your LCD monitor casing could ya? :p

Computer components create heat. Desktops have a higher reliability rate and far better performance because of their ability to effectively remove the heat through good airflow and large heatsinks. Any laptop or "all-in-one" solution is not going ot be capable of doing this to the same level. So they compromise, lower power chips, worse performance and a investment in making sure the unit itself is more and more difficult to fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I know all that, and I'm sure you know smaller more powerful chips are always coming out, and not everyone needs the top of the line stuff, so they stuff the low-powered, low-heat, lower performance (not necessarily worse performance) stuff into things like this and whattya know, they sell anyway.

Have you considered upgrading that mop to a all-in-one?

The mop is not a "rig" so it won't need upgrading. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭fuelinjection

Computer components create heat. Desktops have a higher reliability rate and far better performance because of their ability to effectively remove the heat through good airflow and large heatsinks. Any laptop or "all-in-one" solution is not going ot be capable of doing this to the same level. So they compromise, lower power chips, worse performance and a investment in making sure the unit itself is more and more difficult to fix.

Not true my Acer 8930 runs so cold in the Summer compared with a friend's Dell XPS. Have no problems with games and running multiple processor applications at the same time. The beast is so big that heat is disipated easily (although I only just managed to buy a case to carry it around in !).
    The fan is next to silent when it comes on and I have the power settings running at "maximum performance" all the time, which I could not do on my old Sony and Toshiba laptops which suffered in sunlight.

Reliability is incredible, the screen is amazing as is the graphics card although upgrades are available and I can overclock the CPU's if I wanted to according to Acer user forums. I do not miss the space a desktop takes up as well as having to pay serious amounts of wasted money to keep one up to date.

Advertisement