Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Persona Topic

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mindkiller wrote: »
    It's just a grinding game.

*insert pretentious comment about the grinding being a metaphor for the mundane and repetitive nature of high school life here*

I do agree that the charm is one the most appealing aspects. Without the well drawn characters (heh, Stupei) and 'dating sim' sections it wouldn't be anywhere near the same game. That is the core, and the surprisingly effective juxtaposition of the fantastical dungeon crawling and high school drama is what makes the series so compelling. I also love how the two separate elements combine and work with each other, such as your social links directly affecting the combat system (much more so in Persona 4).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

"Cylon Tea - It comes in 12 varieties"

Everything else fails.

When, if, I get over mu current Peace Walker addiction I will try and get back to P3.

I think the length of time it took me to complete both (and months gaps in between) probably tell me P5 will have to be a hell of alot more streamlined for me to take the plunge before it hits the bargain basement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's an Atlus game though, waiting for it to drop in price is a risky move. You'll either get lucky and find a reduced copy or never find one and find out it's 80+ dollars on ebay.

You say that alot alright.

Can't say I had any trouble whatsoever getting Persona 3 at a knockdown price 2+ years after it came out though.

Still, I would imagine P5 would be a little more mainstream / commercial etc due to previous critical success and I'd say the amount of copies available will reflect that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well you are probably right about Persona, it'sa very mainstream game now,more so than any of their other games and there's been a few rereleases of the game. It used to be that Atlus games got 1 print run and that was it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Yeah, I've never had trouble picking up SMT games.

Spotted a used special edition of DDS2 in a Game not too long ago. Hope it's still there, seeing as I'm planning on grabbing it tommorow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

http://kotaku.com/5598679/what-i-discovered-from-gaming-like-a-girl

I kind of want to play Persona 3 Portable now. As a girl. Gender bend on!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Scorchio MK7

I just got my friend into the persona games by giving him a lend of Persona 3:FES he has finished that and is looking for a copy of Persona 4. We have nearly looked all over dublin and have yet to find a shop that sells it anymore New or Used.

Would anybody know where they might sell them these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I just got my friend into the persona games by giving him a lend of Persona 3:FES he has finished that and is looking for a copy of Persona 4. We have nearly looked all over dublin and have yet to find a shop that sells it anymore New or Used.

Would anybody know where they might sell them these days?

I got it in Gamestop at the Clarehall centre a few months ago. Ring any Gamestop and ask them to check if any of their shops in Dublin have it in stock. If they do, make sure to reserve it over the phone!

Just beat Persona 4. It seems to be better than P3 in everywat except the story just doesn't quite gel together at the end as well as P3's did. One other big problem, the true path ending is not obvious at all and requires a faq. Great ending though, very bittersweet,
    really does feel like you are leaving friends behind forever.
    Best RPG I've play since... wel Persona 3 :D

• Advertisement

Just got the latest Atlus Faithful email (which I'm only subscribed to for Persona related news :pac:) and they have a competition running to win a Junpei's cap replica.

Win.

Just read here that Persona 1 remake is being released on PSN today. Worth a try, just don't expect it to be quite as compelling as 3 and 4!

Started SMT Nocturne last night and it turned into a 3 am session. My god is it good!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Scorchio MK7

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Started SMT Nocturne last night and it turned into a 3 am session. My god is it good!

Ive wanted to play Nocturne for a while now, Unfortunatly its one of the more expensive and harder to find SMT Titles.

Although from what I have heard its well worth the money!

Got it about 2 weeks ago for around 20 euros from videogamesplus.ca NTSC version.

I've been hearing how it's far and away the best JRPG ever made on HG101 for too long so had to give it a go.

Persona team making a new game: linky.

Note: doesn't appear to be a SMT game, isn't Persona 5 (alas!), and well, seems a bit more 'erotic game' than you'd probably expect.

Well the Persona team was actually Atlus's B team for SMT games but with the massive success of Persona I wouldn't be surprised if R&D1 will be put on the Persona series instead of the mainline series. Persona 5 is definitely in development but it could be on the 3DS. Who knows but I'm looking forward to TGS to find out!

Vincent, I think, was the Spike Seagal (sp?) lookalike in P3P, so that's one mystery solved.

Nice to see a SMT release on a console which isnt a Persona game. That series needs to go on a break.

Eh we just had the awesome SMT: Strange Journey?

Operative word being 'console'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Persona 5 is definitely in development but it could be on the 3DS.
    Not so sure about 3DS.
    Atlus’ first entry on HD systems is a completely original title. Before we assault HD systems with a mainline RPG, the team wanted to try creating something new.

Like I care either way, I'll be getting a 3DS day one. Just I wonder what he means by mainline RPG, does he mean Persona or a proper SMT game?

Operative word being 'console'.

The 3DS is a console.

In a purely semantical sense, sure. 3DS is a console.

But when people use the term 'console', they usually use it to mark a distinction between a handheld console and a home console.

The Shin Megami Tensei series hasn't really shone all that bright on consoles for the past 5 years or so now.
    All it has is Persona Persona Persona. And that Devil Summoner game.

FES and P4 are solid RPGs, but they did precious little to elaborate on or renew the experience introduced by P3.
    They need to do something vastly different with P5.

In a purely semantical sense..

Retr0..:pac:

The Shin Megami Tensei series hasn't really shone all that bright on consoles for the past 5 years or so now.
    All it has is Persona Persona Persona. And that Devil Summoner game.

FES and P4 are solid RPGs, but they did precious little to elaborate on or renew the experience introduced by P3.
    They need to do something vastly different with P5.

Well we got Lucifers Call in 2005 which is regarded as the best RPG on the PS2 by a lot of people. As for Persona 3, well it was amazing. FES was an update basically and P4 was made nice and quickly due to the unexpected success of P3 and in the same style to cash in. The SMT franchise can hardly be said to be stagnating, there's over 40 games in the franchise spanning a variety of RPG sub genres. Just because Persona 4 was similar to P3 doesn't mean they got lazy. I was more than happy with more of the same but improved.

Devil Summoner 1 and 2 are great games a well, don't see how you could complain about them.

And when does it matter what console a game appears on, if it's good it's good. SMT: Strange Journey was released this year and is one of the best games and puts most home console games to shame. It hasn't all just been Persona, we only had 2 persona games and a rerelease on the PSP.

Edit: I am an SMT fanboy thought :)

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I had to go back to an old save today in Persona 4. I had forgot to beat the optional boss in the Heaven dungeon, and I have to beat it since I want to fight Margaret. I only lost several hours of progress.

Advertisement