Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping Pizza Deliveries

Options
  • 09-01-2010 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Do people tip pizza delivery drivers in Galway. Sometimes I let them keep the change but last week I got a pizza off a very unfriendly driver so I gave him nothing extra. He didnt even say thanks to me for paying for the overpriced pizza! just walked off

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭left_behind

usually just give change for pizza as theres no where in galway that delivers a top pizza that deserves a decent tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Belmono

Hi
    Would tend to do the same as you. Tip of round 2 yoyo if service is prompt and friendly, nothing if they take ages and/or are a bit on the moody side. In this weather, I'd be especially appreciative of delivery folk and tip for having to get round in the snow and frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

No, i'm paying enough for my pizza as it is. They get paid a wage hence don't see the need to give a tip, they're not doing anything special for me and only interact with me for about 20-30 seconds.

However, a waiter/waitress in a restaurant who really goes that bit extra certainly does get a few euro left on the table for them. Gave the barman a tip in Lohans the last day. He didn't do anything exceptional (just dropped off bar food and a pint) but he had such a good and friendly attitude I felt he deserved the reward

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Gave the barman a tip in Lohans the last day. He didn't do anything exceptional (just dropped off bar food and a pint) but he had such a good and friendly attitude I felt he deserved the reward

Sounds like he was a Dog .

Ah in this weather would it hurt to give them 2 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I worked as a pizza delivery person for about four year, in fairness it was from 1995 - 2000 but when I first started I was getting paid 1.90 an hour, the minimum wage at the time was 2.20. We paid for our own petrol and worked unsociable hours, 5pm until 2.30 am. When the pizzas were late it was because of backlogs in the kitchen or scabby owners not wanting to pay for enough drivers so you'd get sent out with two pizzas that were going to places 12 miles apart from each other, then you'd get back to the kitchen there'd be pizzas waiting to go out that had been sitting there for half an hour because there was no driver to take them out.

I can't blame the drivers being grumpy doing a job like that, also, people paid minimum wage (or less) depend on tips to survive. I would ALWAYS ALWAYS tip the driver. He doesn't get the 12 euro you paid for the pizza so don't take it out on him if you think it's overpriced. If you can afford the take away you can afford to give the delivery person an extra euro or two IMHO.

• Advertisement

dafunk wrote: »
    I worked as a pizza delivery person for about four year, in fairness it was from 1995 - 2000 but when I first started I was getting paid 1.90 an hour, the minimum wage at the time was 2.20. We paid for our own petrol and worked unsociable hours, 5pm until 2.30 am. When the pizzas were late it was because of backlogs in the kitchen or scabby owners not wanting to pay for enough drivers so you'd get sent out with two pizzas that were going to places 12 miles apart from each other, then you'd get back to the kitchen there'd be pizzas waiting to go out that had been sitting there for half an hour because there was no driver to take them out.

I can't blame the drivers being grumpy doing a job like that, also, people paid minimum wage (or less) depend on tips to survive. I would ALWAYS ALWAYS tip the driver. He doesn't get the 12 euro you paid for the pizza so don't take it out on him if you think it's overpriced. If you can afford the take away you can afford to give the delivery person an extra euro or two IMHO.

No one is making them do the job though, it's their own choice. I sometimes collect my own pizza/take-away as the majority of the drivers i've had experience with weren't worth their salt (Getting lost etc. - sick of getting calls asking for where I live when it's a central city location and not a sneaky by-road or anything that's not on a GPS).

I have friends who did pizza deliveries for a while, and for such an un-skilled job they were doing just fine for themselves (granted this was 2-3 years ago as opposed to your spell many years ago). You say that people who work for min. wage DEPEND on tip's to make a living - What about people in retail? People in Dunnes etc? TBH I feel that these people are under more stress than delivery boys (in fairness what stress do they have?) and interact a lot more with customers (ie. helping them find a product etc) - So how often do you tip the min. wage shelf-stackers in Dunnes/Tesco etc? As for those who are willing to work for less than min. wage, well that's their own choice (I don't know if there's some sort of loophole to avoid paying delivery drivers min. wage, since you get an hourly wage + certain amount per drop off). And before I hear the excuse "They have no other choice, they're skint and could be desperate for work" - BOLL1X! They have a flippin car that I can only hope is taxed & insured - if they were that stuck they'd be using their feet to get around

Also, I would say that 99% of these delivery drivers are un-insured. Read the small print of your private motor policy, it does NOT cover your car for business (which is what you're doing when you're getting paid to deliver food), you're only covered for pleasure use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭lovelyhome

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Also, I would say that 99% of these delivery drivers are un-insured. Read the small print of your private motor policy, it does NOT cover your car for business (which is what you're doing when you're getting paid to deliver food), you're only covered for pleasure use.

Pizza is pleasure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

€2

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Pizza is pleasure

So's your ma! Is she insured? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I used to tip €2 to the delivery guys because we always got Dominos so they knew us at that stage and were always sound guys.

But anytime we get pizza or takeaway from anywhere at all I usually give €1.50 - €2 unless they are ignorant, which in fairness they rarely are.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

i always tip 2 euro and i also tell them not to back horses or eat yellow snow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It all depends on speed
    I've had them get here in 20 minutes which is fantastic, I'd tip for sure

But the other night I was waiting 50 minutes and called to cancel. The driver arrived 5 minutes later, send him back to base and didn't pay.

And an excellent point from JohnCleary. If you are driving your car or motorbike you need to declare if you're using it for delivering takeaways.
    You can't claim you didn't know! It's on every insurance application form I've never seen.

And if you work for under minimum wage you're a fool :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

dafunk wrote: »
    ... people paid minimum wage (or less) depend on tips to survive.

Ahh, no.

People in minimum wage jobs who are getting less than 40 hours/week, or who are young and so don't get the minimum adult wage, may depend on tips.

But given the extremely non-regressive tax rates in this country, full-time minimum wage is plenty to live on: I did a budget and reckoned I could save 3-4k per year if I was on it and didn't get sick.

Personally, I'd only tip if 1) I could afford it, and 2) the service was especially good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

The only time I would tip is if it was cold and I didnt want to wait for the change. Why does he deserve a tip any more than a person working for minimum wage in a shop.

A tipping culture is only an excuse for employers to pay terrible wages with the excuse that they make their money from the tips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

If you don't want jizz in your next pizza you will give a tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

So's your ma! Is she insured? :pac:

I find that insulting JC

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Pizza is pleasure

I find that insulting, ErnieBert

nipplenuts wrote: »
    If you don't want jizz in your next pizza you will give a tip.

Wow, free jizz? How can I lose! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I hate to admit it but i only tip if its a place i regularly get food from.
    And I only pay it as a "please dont **** in my food" tax.

That said, I havent got a take away in many moons, too expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

€1-2 depending how broke I am. If we are really scraping the pennies together then I'd apologize..but usually would try to figure in tip.

Generally order from the one place, they're a little pricier, but the best in town, and with coupons, they work out the same.

Had one tonight, and mad my night so much better!:)

*that'd be for one pizza, and/or sides

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

I used to not, but lately I've started. Generally I just round up the cost and add a euro. Say, if the order was €15.40, I'd give him/her €17. The first time I did this was for the takeaway driver from Mizzoni's in Ballybane. I gave him about €1.50 worth of a tip (nothing spectacular) and motioned to head back inside. He started shuffling around in his hipbag for change and I just said, "No no, it's cool. Keep it!". I swear, the poor man almost hugged me there on the spot.

It was a sentimental moment :D

inisboffin - which pizza place is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

inisboffin - which pizza place is this?

My fave place is Bianconi on the Westside. Kinda gourmet = gooorgeous!
    Not necessarily cheapo with their normal prices, but worth every penny.

Normal deal with coupons!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

inisboffin wrote: »
    My fave place is Bianconi on the Westside. Kinda gourmet = gooorgeous!
    Not necessarily cheapo with their normal prices, but worth every penny.

Normal deal with coupons!

Ah, I thought as much. It's my local!

Best pizza in town, and I don't mind paying €15+ for it on the odd occasion I allow myself the indulgence. Plus, their record delivery time for me was 15 minutes!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

got a delivery from pizza hut last week, was 15 euro and handed the driver 20 had 3 euro in my hand to tip him just specifically wanted the 5 euro note and he handed me back 4 euro and said that is all the change he had and walked of. i always tip but that was terrible, how do ya not have change of 20 euro.

also one of my friends works as a delivery driver and gets 4 euro a delivery, he is lucky to do 10/12 deliverys in a 6 hour shift so at best he is gettin 48 euro and has to pay for his own fuel. but he has children to feed so even though its crap its something. but think tipping is down to a individual choice, dont think its expected but im sure its appreciated

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

Why would anyone order take away crap pizza!!!??? Why dont you make your own for half price and much much much more better taste?

Just :

-two mugs of strong flour , sachet dry yeast mixed in luke warm water (mug as well),salt olive oil, perforated pizza tray (you can get them in dunnes

- mix flour with water ( add it gradually so its not too soft or to hard) ,knead it for about 10 minutes and leave for 1 hour in warm place.

- make tomato sauce : take can of chopped tomatoes, garlic ,salt pepper, herbs (basil, oregano etc) for half mug of tomatoe sauce use clove of garlic , tbs of olive oil and some salt and pepper.

When dough is ready just put it on tray (roll it first and streach a little) ,then spread tomatoe sauce , put some grated mozzarella cheese and whatever you want ( olives, ham, mushrooms, pepperoni, spinach)
    Bake in about 190 -200C for ten minutes.

Great white garlic sauce :

- 2 tbs mayonnaise, cream (half glass) , dill (chopped finely) ,clove of garlic (pressed) ,salt ,pepper.

-and I am on diet.... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You say that people who work for min. wage DEPEND on tip's to make a living - What about people in retail? People in Dunnes etc? TBH I feel that these people are under more stress than delivery boys (in fairness what stress do they have?) and interact a lot more with customers (ie. helping them find a product etc) - So how often do you tip the min. wage shelf-stackers in Dunnes/Tesco etc? As for those who are willing to work for less than min. wage, well that's their own choice
    There is a major difference between someone who'd be working in Dunnes compared to a delivery person. A pizza delivery job is a dead end job, your never going to become vice president of Pizza delivery for the west of Ireland.

With a job like those in dunnes you could see yourself as being at the bottom of a career ladder, you'll also expect wage increases with time and added responsibility. I'm not sure if Dunnes make their employees pay for their uniform (they're dicks if they do I despise any company that would do that) but if they don't that's a significant investment and probably only one of many they would make in training their employees.
    surime wrote: »
    Why would anyone order take away crap pizza!!!??? Why dont you make your own for half price and much much much more better taste?
    First of all you have to go to the effort of making the thing but it's all the cleaning up afterwards that's the real killer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

Oh, give it a try -dont be lazy! ;) You just have to be organized and clean as you go..

ScumLord wrote: »
    There is a major difference between someone who'd be working in Dunnes compared to a delivery person. A pizza delivery job is a dead end job, your never going to become vice president of Pizza delivery for the west of Ireland.

Hey, I don't choose these jobs for the people, they take it at their own choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

surime wrote: »
    /

My approach:

Buy a bag of pita pockets from the supermarket (less than E1 for six, three each is enough for dinner).

Brown slightly under the grill, while mixing together a dollop of tomato paste, olive oil, pine-nuts, garlic, herbs ... any other flavours desired.

Brush breads with most of the paste-mix.

Cover with the desired topping. I usually use thin sliced of red pepper around the edges to hold the filling in, diced spinach (ok, this is messy & fiddly), crumbled feta cheese, mushrooms, and other leftover veggies we have ... top the lot with grated cheese ... grill for a bit.

No kneading, no tipping, far less mess!

Advertisement