Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do dogs love the snow so much?

Options
  • 09-01-2010 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Every where I look there is a dog being walked in a frenzy! sniffing everywhere, running around like lunatics, appearing to love the snow. Even my own dog (a miniture yorkie) went for a walk this morning and refused to come home, wanted to stay out in the snow?

Its hilarious if you ask me, but maybe its something deeper than juts having fun!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Probably for the same reasons you can't keep kids out of the snow. I have to admit as much as I hate driving in snow it still puts a smile on my face when I look out the window at it, maybe it just has the same effect on the dogs. On the other hand my cat hates the snow with avengence so it certainly doesn't appeal to everyone!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

My two Lhasa Apsos love it!
    I can't keep my little one in, she keeps crying to go out the back, she rolls in it, rubs in it, pounces and goes sniffing in it. I always assumed it's probably in their genes because they would have lived in these conditions in Tibet.
    So maybe some dogs do have a strong instinct in them when it comes to snow?

I'm sure some of them just love it anyway! :)
    But my older one HATES the rain, won't go out in it, and HATES being bathed or even being wet from being out for a wee in the rain. Yet, the snow is no issue for her, she'll happily go out in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

My husky LOVES it! She's been eating it and everything! I feel bad for her now, my dads up in the Artic Circle at the mo to see the northern lights and he's gone husky sledding, she's gonna be so jealous when she sees the pics:D!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Boomtastic

I think they run around like nutters to try and keep warm! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

Our winter is a dogs Summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

My Lab hates the snow, brought him out today and he practically dragged me home after 10 minutes! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Our dogs absolutely love the snow. They run around in it like they're possessed, dig in it, roll in it and really like when I kick loose snow up in the air or throw snowballs for them.

However, I think the highlight for them was when we went sliding down a hill on a plastic sack. They ran along beside us, jumped on us, pushed us and licked us the whole way down . They also thought it was great fun to sit on our lap and have a go on the 'slide'. They felt extra special, then! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have a 8 month old Lhasa and a Tibetan terrier and I can't keep them out of the snow!
    The minute they wake they want out, and they will play, run and jump and roll in it all day. Both have double coats and are bred for this weather (even though the TT is clipped short and the Lhasa has no hair on her belly from being spayed), its so good watching them play like this, They're wearing me out with the endless energy. The minute it gets dark they pass out for the night, only getting up to go for a pee when I'm going to bed.
    One thing I did notice was whatever they put on the roads here is staining their coats and making their feet orange, so been washing their feet after a walk on the roads.
    The pup hates the rain though, she cowers in in looking miserable, but falling snow is no problem to her, she had a covering of it earlier(never have a camera when you want one!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

My dog just eats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Not sure why, ours love it too. They roll in it and just go nuts, mind you they love windy days as well. They love to chase snowballs if you make them. Even the little guy does although he feels the cold after a while and has to be brought in.

Guess they also like the change of scene as well, nice fresh clean snowy air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭opti76

normally my GSD want to go home before me and the collie but today in the snow she didnt want to leave 4262756957_4af6673e92_o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

Pics of bella playing in the snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

opti76 wrote: »
    normally my GSD want to go home before me and the collie but today in the snow she didnt want to leave 4262756957_4af6673e92_o.jpg

What a beautiful dog, makes me miss my GSD:(

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

Ella playing in the snow

018.JPG

063.JPG

070.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

My mum has a cocker/springer cross about 1.5 years old who hates the snow -she usually spends all day running around the garden but while it's been snowing she's been hiding inside.
    We have a Shih-Tzu the same age who loves it, he was happily wandering around with a total covering of snow one of the days while it was snowing. He was running and jumping and rolling in it and being generally giddy. Though he's like that a lot anyway! Feel bad cos he cries to be left out in it but there's no garden where we're staying atm so he's only getting out for a couple of hours a day. Maybe the snow is a remembered thing for the dogs bred in Tibet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

My Husky had the time of his life in the snow , we had great craic playing football in it, he ran rings around me =)

18757_261798698326_759008326_4477545_7026043_n.jpg

18757_261798703326_759008326_4477546_1880898_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

So to get back to the original question (which I'd love an answer to) nobody here knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Well I don't know for most dogs, for my fella i'd imagine it's in his nature to love snow, it's cold and keeps him cool etc, other than that I'd say they just get excited by the change and playing in it, like kids do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Orlaithc9

Snow brings out the child (or pup) within dogs, they just like to play and have fun! Plus they already have their snow suits on..with no gaps around the wrist or ankles lol

Heres my shih tzu (not long after being clipped I might add!) wanting to stay outside and play in the snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

So to get back to the original question (which I'd love an answer to) nobody here knows!
    Actually both myself and Fozzle did mention about genetic traits, where our breed of dogs originated.

Others have said that they just seem excited to play in something different. Some dogs love to play in rain, some dogs don't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement