Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth while appealing a centrefire refusal ?

Options
  • 09-01-2010 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Looking for opinions. 1. Is there any point appealing a centrfire refusal ?. 2. Should I employ a solicitor ? and 3. What's the solicitor likely to charge . Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

is there any point ?

its a personal choice , but if you were serious about having a centrefire in the first place then you should put up some sort of fight to keep it , after all the work that went into getting the 1972 ban removed .

i think willie egan is the man to have on your side in court as he seems to specialize in firearm cases .

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

1. YES. They (cops) want you to forget about it but don't be put off. If you can convince the Judge then you will get your certs. It depends who the Judge is, his view on firearms, what he had for breakfast etc.

2. VERY YES - Otherwise you're a sheep among wolves.
    3. How long is a piece of string. Your NGB would be a good place to get advice on someone to represent you and how much then it might cost.

I'm lodging an appeal in the coming weeks. Solicitor is a friend of mine. He works in my district. Not his first firearms case by a very long chalk and he's also an avid shooter himself. Costs vary and as has already been said it depends how badly do you want it v the cost of going through the courts.

Good luck if you decide to go down that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

Is it worth while appealing a centrefire refusal ?

I suppose that all depends whether you really value the sport of shooting and more specifically, a centrefire. For me and a lot more, The State (Government) has taken something from us which as far as I am concerned is unjust and unfair. The only avenue open to us in the Courts.

You would be very unwise not to retain legal representation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Mr Mole

If you have an interest in appealing but dont have much funds, it will cost you €20 or €30 to lodge the appeal with the help of your local District Court Clerk. Have the appeal at least lodged, you can decide later if you need a Solicitor as your allocated Court Date comes up. This is your basic option. Other matters before the Courts might even help your case later on. Appeal? YES!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

freddieot wrote: »
    1. YES. They (cops) want you to forget about it but don't be put off. If you can convince the Judge then you will get your certs. It depends who the Judge is, his view on firearms, what he had for breakfast etc.

2. VERY YES - Otherwise you're a sheep among wolves.
    3. How long is a piece of string. Your NGB would be a good place to get advice on someone to represent you and how much then it might cost.

I'm lodging an appeal in the coming weeks. Solicitor is a friend of mine. He works in my district. Not his first firearms case by a very long chalk and he's also an avid shooter himself. Costs vary and as has already been said it depends how badly do you want it v the cost of going through the courts.

Good luck if you decide to go down that road.

so your appeal is based on whether the judge go lucky than nite or morning .

irish law A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

jwshooter wrote: »
    so your appeal is based on whether the judge go lucky than nite or morning .

irish law A

So your post is based on the unverified opinion of an anonymous internet poster?

Very accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Mr Mole wrote: »
    If you have an interest in appealing but dont have much funds, it will cost you €20 or €30 to lodge the appeal with the help of your local District Court Clerk. Have the appeal at least lodged, you can decide later if you need a Solicitor as your allocated Court Date comes up. This is your basic option. Other matters before the Courts might even help your case later on. Appeal? YES!
    +1

You have 30 days to lodge an appeal and then it's over for you. You may decide that you won't go through with it, but you have NO chance if you don't lodge an appeal.

There are quite a few appeals coming up this month and probably more next month so there'll be quite a bit of data coming back to help with your own should decide to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

For most firearm owners. If they do appeal their refusal, whick I would recommend if they do enjoy the sport, it may well be their first foray into the court system and may seem daunting but don't let that put you off, if you do not appeal your refusal you may well never shoot pistol again

as MrMole said you can lodge the appeal yourself for a nominal fee

Once yor date is allocated you should have a solicitor and MrEgan. Comes highly recommended but you must decide yourself. Talk to your NGB as they may have preferential rates arranged with solicitors

by the time your appeal comes up hundreds of other appeals will have been heard wand you may be able to benefit from that, again talk to your club and/or NGB for more info

by owning a pistol for target shooting you have done nothing wrong- don't let anyone tell you different

B'Man

is there any chance that the doj will get sick of the district courts being clogged up with pistol owners ? maybe instruct or "advise" the chief supers that if the shooter ticks all the correct boxes , which i believe to be (1) be a member of an authorized club (2) meet the home security requirements (3) have owned the pistol prior to nov 08 cut off point ,that they grant the licences ?

rowa wrote: »
    is there any chance that the doj will get sick of the district courts being clogged up with pistol owners ? maybe instruct or "advise" the chief supers that if the shooter ticks all the correct boxes , which i believe to be (1) be a member of an authorized club (2) meet the home security requirements (3) have owned the pistol prior to nov 08 cut off point ,that they grant the licences ?
    I think you'll find that An GS do not take kindly to being dictated to by the DoJ. They are seperate entities under the jurisdiction of the Minister and are kept seperate for a reason.

It is more likely that should appeals start being won that a more 'appalling vista' could open up and threaten far more than the grant or refusal of mere firearms licences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

rrpc wrote: »
    I think you'll find that An GS do not take kindly to being dictated to by the DoJ. They are seperate entities under the jurisdiction of the Minister and are kept seperate for a reason.

It is more likely that should appeals start being won that a more 'appalling vista' could open up and threaten far more than the grant or refusal of mere firearms licences.

em could you clarify that RR for the slightly less educated(like me)

newby.204 wrote: »
    em could you clarify that RR for the slightly less educated(like me)
    I thnk I'll decline for now. It's nothing to do with shooting but may be a side effect of these cases and how they're being defended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

please explain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

well we have had a result from the district court so I would say its worth appealing my own appeal is up in march if your not in you cant win Its a shame that we where forced into this position but in my opinion the more that appeal the better.Really depends on how much you love your sport

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Have we actually had a result Meath? We thought the case was still adjourned...

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

My understanding of the case in Cork, from reading the Judgement, is that all that is left is for the CS to put forward any conditions required regarding security in transit before Judge Pattwell makes his decision final on 3 March.

It is worth mentioning, I think, that there is an element in the shooting community, who feel that one should not rock the boat too much by proceeding with appeals. The implication being that horrendous events will happen to us all as a result, such as a complete ban up to and including air pistols and catapults.

For those, who need to appeal, the horrendous event has already happened ! Don't let others, on boards or elsewhere, dissuade you from your democratic rights just because they are 'all right jack'.

It is great that we see a good example of pure logic and resultant fairness being used by the Judge in this case in Cork. He is to be applauded for seeing past the usual paranoid smokescreen put forward by the other side.

I'm sure he realised that this man would not be standing waiting in line at his local Garda Station behind hundreds of drug dealers disposing of their weapons if he had to hand his in !

As I said before, no doubt the first of many good results, given the sheer number of cases now involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

Sparks wrote: »
    Have we actually had a result Meath? We thought the case was still adjourned...

there seem to be light at the end of the tunnel of this one anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Probably a train coming :D

freddieot wrote: »
    It is worth mentioning, I think, that there is an element in the shooting community, who feel that one should not rock the boat too much by proceeding with appeals. The implication being that horrendous events will happen to us all as a result, such as a complete ban up to and including air pistols and catapults.
    I don't think I've ever heard (or read here) anyone advocating not appealing. I'm not saying there aren't such people, just that if there are, they must be in a tiny minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Mr Flibble

rrpc wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever heard (or read here) anyone advocating not appealing. I'm not saying there aren't such people, just that if there are, they must be in a tiny minority.

Maybe not as such, but there's one or two very prominent posters who are fond of giving out about others rocking the boat. Especially if the "rockers" are among their [FONT=&quot]bêtes noir[/FONT].

• Advertisement

Mr Flibble wrote: »
    Maybe not as such, but there's one or two very prominent posters who are fond of giving out about others rocking the boat. Especially if the "rockers" are among their [font=&quot]bêtes noir[/font].
    I can't see how exercising your right to appeal could be seen as 'rocking the boat'. I'm surprised that anyone has said that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

The world is an even safer place this evening now that I have been declined licences for my two restricted firearms.

I suppose I will have to stop robbing banks now.

The easy target (if you'll pardon the pun) gets it up the ass again while the real criminals either don't get charged or get prison time but get out after 3 weeks because there's no room for them.

Amazing how all these shootings are still going on, now that the likes of me have been disarmed. For the love of God, will all you heartless target shooters please please Stop the Violence!!

Its ironic that the Super's real reason for refusing me (despite all the other crap he put in the letter to confuse the issue) is that he's concerned that my house could be burgled and the firearms stolen. 12 months ago I gave them a video tape of a burgler attempting to break into my house and I picked him out of a mugshot book and they couldn't even prosecute him.

They fairly sorted me out though.

Ireland's Finest.

Chipboard wrote: »
    The world is an even safer place this evening now that I have been declined licences for my two restricted firearms.

I suppose I will have to stop robbing banks now.

The easy target (if you'll pardon the pun) gets it up the ass again while the real criminals either don't get charged or get prison time but get out after 3 weeks because there's no room for them.

Amazing how all these shootings are still going on, now that the likes of me have been disarmed. For the love of God, will all you heartless target shooters please please Stop the Violence!!

Its ironic that the Super's real reason for refusing me (despite all the other crap he put in the letter to confuse the issue) is that he's concerned that my house could be burgled and the firearms stolen. 12 months ago I gave them a video tape of a burgler attempting to break into my house and I picked him out of a mugshot book and they couldn't even prosecute him.

They fairly sorted me out though.

Ireland's Finest.

its easier to pick on the law abiding because they normally sit there and swallow it , if they attempt the same thing with scumbags and criminals they would have free legal aid lawyers ,looney lefty t.d.'s and "support groups" all on there backs .i think irish law community basically see's the criminal as the victim and victim as a criminal :mad: .

Advertisement