Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC broadband very slow when using torrents

• 09-01-2010 6:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

Any time I try to download a torrent (at only 20Kbps or so) my browsing get unbearably slow and I am on a 15Mbps line. I have a Cisco EPC2425, which is connected to a Apple TimeCapsule for wireless.

Any ideas?

Also I cant seem to get into the Cisco router, I dont know the password and I have reset it with no luck. Tried blank username/password. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

irishguy wrote: »
    Any time I try to download a torrent (at only 20Kbps or so) my browsing get unbearably slow and I am on a 15Mbps line. I have a Cisco EPC2425, which is connected to a Apple TimeCapsule for wireless.

Any ideas?

Also I cant seem to get into the Cisco router, I dont know the password and I have reset it with no luck. Tried blank username/password. Any ideas?

Turn off the firewall on the router and turn on UpNp on the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

Ranicand wrote: »
    Turn off the firewall on the router and turn on UpNp on the router.

I cant get into the router. I dont know the password..

Any ideas?

If you continue with any password or username you should just log in without any problem if you don't have a password set.

You must be wired into the modem to log into it.

I cant get into the router. I dont know the password..

Did you really reset the router do you not what a reset on a router is?

There is a small pin hole around the back you stick a pin in to reset it and it resets all passwords.

Here is the manual http://www.upc.ie/pdf/4755_UPC_WiFi_Brochure.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

Thanks. Was just looking at another thread. I was trying this in safari on the mac. The change password box does appear, switched over to firefox and I can get in. Thats some good cisco programming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Thanks. Was just looking at another thread. I was trying this in safari on the mac. The change password box does appear, switched over to firefox and I can get in. Thats some good cisco programming.

The cisco is a combined modem and router the firewall is turned on by default a lot of people are going nuts trying to play Xbox and such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I am currently trying to do the same as the OP.

I entered 192.168.100.1 and then tried 192.168.1.1 and it just times out. I can't access my route settings at all. Any ideas.

Sometimes my torrent speed will go up to 600kbps-900kbps on the 10meg connection but it mainly stays around 20-40kbps and I can use xbox Live no problem but I want to get rid of the firewall for better torrent speeds.

Just tried that now, my default gateway is 192.168.1.1 it's still doing the same as before and just times out.

Do I have to be directly connected to the Cisco router for this to work, I'm currently using wireless.

• Advertisement

I'll give it a go tomorrow. I have to make up a CAT5e lead as I have none at hand.

Thanks anyway.

I changed the settings on the router, turned off the firewall and turned on the UpNp and its made no difference to torrent speeds.

It does seem like UPC are limiting torrents to me. Very rearly will it exceed 50kbps no matter how many torrents I have going at any one time. At times it will jump up to 600-900kbps mark for about 5mins and drop back. Something must be going on on the UPC side of things.

I can download standard file from other sites at full speed but torrents, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

^^ UPC do throttle torrents.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055334444

Checkout the pages towards the end.

coldfire1x wrote: »
    ^^ UPC do throttle torrents.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055334444

Checkout the pages towards the end.

Feck that, didn't realise.

The very first torrent I downloaded when I first got UPC a month ago was 900mb and I had it in 20mins. I must have just got lucky what that one.

The throttling for me seem very random, there does not seem to be any set hours.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

thought this was standard no matter what speed your connection is?

You use torrents you connection slows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Feck that, didn't realise.

The very first torrent I downloaded when I first got UPC a month ago was 900mb and I had it in 20mins. I must have just got lucky what that one.

The throttling for me seem very random, there does not seem to be any set hours.

Downloding via torrents during off peak hours will help, you will get some better results. Peak times like 5pm-10pm is definately not a good time. Throttling is really bad during peak hours and somehow eases after that.

I use uTorrent, even now at this hour my speeds are between 20-40kbps.

It was only the other day I was using it and uTorrent said it had problems connecting because of the firewall so I removed it tonight. It never displayed this message before which I thought a bit strange.

I don't really have a clue when it comes to opening ports or finding out what program needs what ports. All I know is that each time uTorrent opens it selects a different seemingly random port number.

Sometimes I get very good speeds, around 600-700kbps and then it will drop to 300 or so and level out at 100-200kbps. But lately its staying under 50 and I am downloading from popular and very active torrents.

• Advertisement

Get a rapidshare account.
    Seriously.

jayteecork wrote: »
    Get a rapidshare account.
    Seriously.

I think I'll stick to the free option. Plus they only go up to 2gb file sizes. I'm typically dowloading 5-15gb files.

I think I'll stick to the free option. Plus they only go up to 2gb file sizes. I'm typically dowloading 5-15gb files.

Ermmm winrar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Popple3

I know it's a dead thread, but I finally got my UPC to play nicely with multiple simultaneous connections (like torrents).

I have the wireless Cisco EPC2425, and this is what I did:
    Click Options under Firewall on the modem's setup page, and disable IP Flood detection. My connection is working perfectly now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Xiangjiao

Have the same router/ISP.

Never had problems with UPC and torrent traffic before, and to the best of my knowledge UPC doesn't throttle torrent traffic.

New connection at new address with this router and I'd been having some problems.

Firstly, you need to set up port forward for torrents. More info here: http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/p/f/What-Is-Port-Forwarding.htm

Then you need to set upload and download limits, finding the right trade off between getting the best available speeds in and out, and not going too far and causing your connection to cut out.

I only noticed I was having an issue today, and am still playing about with my speed settings. FWIW, on a 25mbps I wouldn't recommend going above 60kb for outward traffic (and if you want to play it really safe, 20). Naturally, you need to get the download speed right to but the upload is the one that really needs to be set low as it can mess up your connection.

Good luck! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Xiangjiao wrote: »
    Have the same router/ISP.

Never had problems with UPC and torrent traffic before, and to the best of my knowledge UPC doesn't throttle torrent traffic.

New connection at new address with this router and I'd been having some problems.

Firstly, you need to set up port forward for torrents. More info here: http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/p/f/What-Is-Port-Forwarding.htm

Then you need to set upload and download limits, finding the right trade off between getting the best available speeds in and out, and not going too far and causing your connection to cut out.

I only noticed I was having an issue today, and am still playing about with my speed settings. FWIW, on a 25mbps I wouldn't recommend going above 60kb for outward traffic (and if you want to play it really safe, 20). Naturally, you need to get the download speed right to but the upload is the one that really needs to be set low as it can mess up your connection.

Good luck! :)

A mods gonna hurt youuuuuuuuuuuuuu :P

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Xiangjiao

Doylers wrote: »
    A mods gonna hurt youuuuuuuuuuuuuu :P

Really? I didn't start this thread. And not all of us use p2p and filesharing for illegal purposes, some of us need it for work! If admin have a problem, they can lock or delete the thread.

I found this because I was having a similar problem, it didn't solve it, but I shared what worked for me (this thread ranked high in google via a board reader).

One final note which nearly killed me, my client was set to randomise ports, so I had to manually set it to go for port 6881. Worth bearing in mind....

Admin, I was only replying to an open thread and sharing what worked for me. I apologise if I've broken any house rules here (the fact that it was open led me to think it was fine to reply, I know you are very strict in shutting threads down here). Bit like I said above, delete if you feel that appropriate. I replied in good faith and apologise if I've broken any protocol.

Well, good night to you all. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Xiangjiao wrote: »
    Really? I didn't start this thread. And not all of us use p2p and filesharing for illegal purposes, some of us need it for work! If admin have a problem, they can lock or delete the thread.

I found this because I was having a similar problem, it didn't solve it, but I shared what worked for me (this thread ranked high in google via a board reader).

One final note which nearly killed me, my client was set to randomise ports, so I had to manually set it to go for port 6881. Worth bearing in mind....

Admin, I was only replying to an open thread and sharing what worked for me. I apologise if I've broken any house rules here (the fact that it was open led me to think it was fine to reply, I know you are very strict in shutting threads down here). Bit like I said above, delete if you feel that appropriate. I replied in good faith and apologise if I've broken any protocol.

Well, good night to you all. :)

Its not about your content, look at the original post dates ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

die zombie thread, die

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement