Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water mains frozen outside - is it safe to use Central Heating

• 09-01-2010 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

My water mains has frozen outside of the house however this happened overnight and we were unaware, so used showers, etc until the tanks ran empty. We now have no water from hot or cold taps, indicating that the tanks are empty. Now we have a wood pellet central heating system using a Gerkros Woodpecker boiler. I know it's a sealed unit so has water in the system. Question is, is it safe to use the heating when 1) the hot tank is empty or close to it and 2) with no water supply available to top up what's in the heating system.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Its only a problem if you have a leak. You should not need to top up your system much normally.
    I have had to do it only 3 times in the past 18 months.

Tank should be ok, its not an element like your immersion.

I dont know woodpellet systems but i suspect this should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭WicklowTiger

Jumpy wrote: »
    Its only a problem if you have a leak. You should not need to top up your system much normally.
    I have had to do it only 3 times in the past 18 months.

Great thanks. But will the hot tank be ok - the heating normally heats the water in the tank. If there's no water, what happens?

EDIT - Jumpy, just saw the second line of your post there, thank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

It will be fine, the hot water cylinder cannot be emptied unless done deliberately by opening a drain valve. The tank in the attic is empty, not the hot water cylinder in the hot press. You won't be able to use the hot water until the roof tank refills, but it is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭WicklowTiger

Thanks all! Didn't fancy sitting in the cold all evening....nice and toasty now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 beenaeem

we r withotu water and plubmer tried to pour hot water in a frozen pipe but it didnt solve problem so he suggested that we had to wait for good weather.he also saw attic tank n said its empty. he also asked to swtich off central heating. i have two little kids, we already running out of water how come we cope with this freezing weather withotu heating. so plz plz tell me is central heating to be remained on? ill be extremely thankful to u.

• Advertisement

Heating should be fine, but plumber may be aware of specific concerns, for example boiler flow/return frozen, or possibly vent frozen. I would proceed as follows:

Turn thermostat on boiler to minimum. Switch on boiler and make sure pump is running. Check radiators are getting warm. Gradually increase thermostat on the boiler if there are no unusual noises and all radiators are heating normally.

If you experience pipes banging, rattling etc it is likely that the boiler is low on water, if this happens switch it off and don't use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I would not use my hot tap either. The coil is the weakest part of the plumbing system and it would be good to keep a supply of water around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭paddles

Pete67 wrote: »
    Heating should be fine, but plumber may be aware of specific concerns, for example boiler flow/return frozen, or possibly vent frozen. I would proceed as follows:

Turn thermostat on boiler to minimum. Switch on boiler and make sure pump is running. Check radiators are getting warm. Gradually increase thermostat on the boiler if there are no unusual noises and all radiators are heating normally.

If you experience pipes banging, rattling etc it is likely that the boiler is low on water, if this happens switch it off and don't use it.

i must be stupid here. do you not need water for the central heating? how does the water get into the rads? if i have cold water from mains does that mean that that same water gets into my rads?
    what so. are the implications of having an empty attic tank? where has that water gone and what purpose does it normally serve?
    sorry but i dont get it, thanks

paddles wrote: »
    i must be stupid here. do you not need water for the central heating? how does the water get into the rads? if i have cold water from mains does that mean that that same water gets into my rads?
    what so. are the implications of having an empty attic tank? where has that water gone and what purpose does it normally serve?
    sorry but i dont get it, thanks

Your not stupid your normal. Why would anyone need to know. Its safe to use the heating although I would not rec emptying the hot taps as it may cause damage to heating coil

Your not stupid your normal. Why would anyone need to know. Its safe to use the heating although I would not rec emptying the hot taps as it may cause damage to heating coil

ok, need to get this straight - the implications of an empty attic tank is not to use hot water. everything else business as usual - is that it??:confused:

• Advertisement

Once filled, the central heating system circulates the same quanitity of water around continuously. Usually between 40 and 80 litres for a typical domestic system. The water flows through the boiler, is heated according to the thermostat setting on the boiler, and moves on the the radiators and coil in the hot water cylinder, where it cools by 10-15 degC. It is then returned to the boiler to be re-heated again. Unless there is a leak the system does not need additional water so can be used safely when the mains water is cut off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 amr_so

I have no water since 3 days and i was asked to switch off the central heating. The plumber said that there is no water in the hot water boiler ( hot press) and any heating of the air will end up in bursting the hot press. Does it make sense or is it ok to switch the rads on ?
    Thanks

my water has come back in attic and the small tank is filling - canb't see anything as both my bulb in attic is gone and my trusty torch too - dang! on the shopping list tomo...
    HOWEVR - now the overflow pipe outside my house is pouring the bloody niagara falls! what to do, what to do?? doesn't look right and it's a SHOCKING waste of water :eek:

roll on "summer" eh? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

amr_so wrote: »
    I have no water since 3 days and i was asked to switch off the central heating. The plumber said that there is no water in the hot water boiler ( hot press) and any heating of the air will end up in bursting the hot press. Does it make sense or is it ok to switch the rads on ?
    Thanks

As quoted in earlier post above and I believe this myself and I'm no expert........
    he hot water cylinder cannot be emptied unless done deliberately by opening a drain valve. The tank in the attic is empty, not the hot water cylinder in the hot press. You won't be able to use the hot water until the roof tank refills, but it is still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 beenaeem

amr_so wrote: »
    Thanks
    see i just called bord gais emergency n asked them i have no water and my boiler is fixed in kitchen on wall so can i use heating.he said yes u can. now im using heating although still wihtout water . now i think u should make call to bord gais tell location of ur boiler where is it fixed on wall or where else. they will give u better answer

paddles wrote: »
    my water has come back in attic and the small tank is filling - canb't see anything as both my bulb in attic is gone and my trusty torch too - dang! on the shopping list tomo...
    HOWEVR - now the overflow pipe outside my house is pouring the bloody niagara falls! what to do, what to do?? doesn't look right and it's a SHOCKING waste of water :eek:

roll on "summer" eh? :rolleyes:

Just tweek the ballcock(The lever with the ball attached I would say its just a bit stiff after the lack of water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

beenaeem wrote: »
    see i just called bord gais emergency n asked them i have no water and my boiler is fixed in kitchen on wall so can i use heating.he said yes u can. now im using heating although still wihtout water . now i think u should make call to bord gais tell location of ur boiler where is it fixed on wall or where else. they will give u better answer

This is aimed at amr_so comments.

It's okay to use central heating but under no circumstances okay to heat hot water as you stated the tank in the hot press the copper cylinder is empty. If this is the case and your mains water hasn't come back and the tank in the attic is empty then your in a spot of bother or about to be. As the water in the cylinder comes from the attic tank.
    Just my two cents, hope it makes sense. Very useful information on this site and very experienced people use it.

Advertisement