Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

+VE earth in a car

Options
  • 09-01-2010 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭

I know there were some UK built cars in the '70s that had a +ve earth but is a anyone aware of any current model cars with a positive earth?
    I just read a review that listed one of the cons of a device as "not suitable for a +ve earth car". Surely that is laregely irrelevant now?

Also has anyone come a cropper because of this in the past? Just curious.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Can't think of any cars, but I did read research a few years back that said that if you did make cars positive earth, the bodywork wouldn't corrode as metal oxidising is usually as a result of negative ions.

Could all be BS too, but it seemed interesting at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

I don't know of a modern car.. I think one or two bikes have +ve earth recently.. I'll have a "google".

I think most people converted old cars to -ve earth so they could fit and alternator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Most Brit bikes up until the early 70ies were poz earth. The Japs changed this when they popularized volt with the electric start. I don't think there is anyone using this format anymore. Enfield India are all neg earth on the current Bullet Range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

This was mostly the case, would you believe it's only in recent years science has discovered that electrons are the particles that move around the gaff.

Advertisement