Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who got water cut off?

• 09-01-2010 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I have had no supply for a week. Was in town today and it looks like there are quite a few without it including some pubs. Dan Mc Inirnies and other hardwares are out of empty containers.

My supply is off the system and is a local problem, not from the town mains. I believe the ETC had to cut water off in certain areas because people were leaving taps running to stop freezing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

The people have given it all to the birds, feed the feathers! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

People in my estate have been out of water for the week (Kilrush Road area), but I've had water, there's just the 2 of us in the house and we don't use that much, yesterday we had a lot of water in use so we ran out upstairs, still had some downstairs, the tank filled last night and we're ok again today. The fire brigade were about earlier filling tanks for whomever wanted them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭georgem25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr Kamikazi

My water ran out last Thursday, problem is I'm on a well.
    Had to disconnect main pipe coming out of pump, buy 50 meters of heavy duty black piping, new stop cock and rig up a bypass to the tank in the attic.
    That works fine, just have to take it down at night to prevent the new pipe freezing and keep it in the house.
    Now just have to unblock several taps and appliances in the house since draining the tank washed all sorts of goo and crud into the water lines in the house.
    Oh the fun to be had!
    Don't envy anyone in town at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Not too bad out here, loads of ice and snow to melt in pots over the stove. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

Just don't use the yellow snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Just don't use the yellow snow.

No worries of that where I am :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

From Clare Co. Co. Website Today

Ennis (Kilrush Road Area) - Water supply restrictions are in place. Water will be shut off between 11:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m in the following areas and poor pressure will be experienced for a number of hours each morning. This restriction will remain in place until further notice. :
    • Turnpike Area - MacNamara Park, Turnpike Road, Dalcassian Park, Dalcassian Avenue, Collins Park, Glen Gardens, St. Patricks Terrace, Greenpark and all adjacent areas
    • Kilrush Road - Avondale, Maiville, Phoenix Court, Military Barracks, Cahercalla Estate, Cahercalls Heights, Woodlands, Woodhaven, Cahercalla Road, Cahercalla Drive and all adjacent areas
    • From Cootes Cross to St. Flannan's Roundabout - Iniscarra, College Grove, College Green, Springfieldm Riverside, Clonroadmore Road and all adjacent areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr Kamikazi

Claregirl wrote: »
    From Clare Co. Co. Website Today

Ennis (Kilrush Road Area) - Water supply restrictions are in place. Water will be shut off between 11:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m in the following areas and poor pressure will be experienced for a number of hours each morning. This restriction will remain in place until further notice. :
    • Turnpike Area - MacNamara Park, Turnpike Road, Dalcassian Park, Dalcassian Avenue, Collins Park, Glen Gardens, St. Patricks Terrace, Greenpark and all adjacent areas
    • Kilrush Road - Avondale, Maiville, Phoenix Court, Military Barracks, Cahercalla Estate, Cahercalls Heights, Woodlands, Woodhaven, Cahercalla Road, Cahercalla Drive and all adjacent areas
    • From Cootes Cross to St. Flannan's Roundabout - Iniscarra, College Grove, College Green, Springfieldm Riverside, Clonroadmore Road and all adjacent areas.

The problem is that people leave the tap running to keep the pipes from freezing. And it works, a friend of mine has water, while the rest of the road does not.
    The other problem is that this will drive demand sky high and the water runs out.
    Close all the taps, no water, leave taps running, no water.
    Catch22.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 schnecke1916

The problem is that people leave the tap running to keep the pipes from freezing. And it works, a friend of mine has water, while the rest of the road does not.
    The other problem is that this will drive demand sky high and the water runs out.
    Catch22.

I left my tap running (a cat's piddle) and managed to maintain my water throughout. My neighbours to the left and right of me lost theirs. I reckon that the water I wasted (a pittance as I had it flowing into jugs for collection) was balanced out by the lack of supply to my neighbours. John Gormless, the minister for snow is looking for scapegoats trying to blame the tap-runners. Why doesn't he look at the old pipes that litter the country and the depth they were laid during the housing boom? Threatening to cut off our water is an attack on a democratic right, the right to shower five times a day, oh **** its snowing again, time to hit the taps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

Catch22.

Not if you only have it dripping into a bucket, basin or large jug. You can empty that into your kettle or drink, cook, wash, fill toilet cisterns with it. No water wasted at all and less frozen mains. It's only a matter of buffering your usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 schnecke1916

luap_42 wrote: »
    Not if you only have it dripping into a bucket, basin or large jug. You can empty that into your kettle or drink, cook, wash, fill toilet cisterns with it. No water wasted at all and less frozen mains. It's only a matter of buffering your usage.
    Yes I did exactly that for a few days, got up every now and then to pour the contents from the container to the kettle, toilet, etc. Anyone who believes that the current water shortage is caused by people leaving their taps dripping is falling for government propaganda. They have a few reasons for trying to sell us this story
    1: It takes the blame off them that they cannot supply the most basic of needs for a country
    2: Their water infrastructure is archaic
    3: They want to bring in water charges by the back door and charge us, probably a flat rate for an inferior product (a lot of Irish water is not safe for drinking or has too much lime)
    RTE seems to be in collaboration with them on this by pointing the blame at those who leave their taps on the same way they tried to blame the public service for the deficit. The same public service that worked all through Christmas trying to keep the roads safe on a limited budget.
    Don't believe the Government/RTE hype, as Morrissey says: "Why don't you find out for yourself"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Temporary provisions

Shannon area

Water will be turned off in the Shannon area today Wednesday 13th January from 12.00 noon to 5.00 pm. and again from 8.00 p.m. to 8.00 a.m. as per ongoing restrictions.
    Static standpipes will be available at the following locations:
    • Bealach Bri (near Shannon Gardai Station) from 12.00 noon to 5.00 p.m.
    • Old Lodge, Ballycasey from 1.00 pm. to 5.00 p.m.
    • Skycourt Shopping Centre from 1.00 p.m. to 5.00 p.m.
    • Cratloe Church, from 1.00 p.m. to 8.00 p.m.
    • Newmarket on Fergus Church, from 2.00 p.m. to 4.00 p.m.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭diarmaidol

I'm just outside shannon and have had a constaint supply all the time. My neighbours lost thier water to frozen supply supply pipes over the christmas. I never let taps run all the time. If you are at home then just simply schedule your washing machine to go off about 2am and that should keep water moving and your cloths clean ;-). Obviously this won't work if they are cutting your watter at night but it's a better way of moving water in your pipes with out wasting it.

Advertisement