Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm Panal Removal ??

Options
  • 09-01-2010 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for some advice if it’s available

I’ve a problem with my alarm. It’s a HKC Secure Watch system.

The problem is the panel seems to have died. There is power going to it. I’ve tried to reset the panel using some of the advice from previous posts, i.e. cutting the power, battery and pulling the jumper, etc, but the panel seems to stay blank and won’t accept any codes.

After a "chat" with the wife, I’ve learned that over the last few days the alarm was acting up. Going off at night for no reason and showing up a fault, most likely due to the lovely weather getting to the window sensors and showing up a fault. Anyway she hit the panel a wallop out of frustration. Yes I know not such a good idea, we've had that discussion!!

So I’m thinking that she may have either busted the panel completely or hopefully just dislodged a wire at the back. Problem is I don’t know how tell if the panel is FUBARed.

Apart from the obvious fact that the panel is blank, is there something else I can check to confirm it need replacing, or is there another way to reset the alarm system

Any advice welcome

Thanks
    Hedges

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

hedges wrote: »
    Hi All,

Looking for some advice if it’s available

I’ve a problem with my alarm. It’s a HKC Secure Watch system.

The problem is the panel seems to have died. There is power going to it. I’ve tried to reset the panel using some of the advice from previous posts, i.e. cutting the power, battery and pulling the jumper, etc, but the panel seems to stay blank and won’t accept any codes.

After a "chat" with the wife, I’ve learned that over the last few days the alarm was acting up. Going off at night for no reason and showing up a fault, most likely due to the lovely weather getting to the window sensors and showing up a fault. Anyway she hit the panel a wallop out of frustration. Yes I know not such a good idea, we've had that discussion!!

So I’m thinking that she may have either busted the panel completely or hopefully just dislodged a wire at the back. Problem is I don’t know how tell if the panel is FUBARed.

Apart from the obvious fact that the panel is blank, is there something else I can check to confirm it need replacing, or is there another way to reset the alarm system

Any advice welcome

Thanks
    Hedges

It sounds like the alarm is eng locked as you cant default the alarm. There are four fuses on the board, one of these could be blown. Regarding defaulting the panel, there is a way if it is eng locked depending on how old the alarm is. How long have you the alarm installed ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

When you say the panel stays blank I presume you mean the keypad disply.
    Is there any power on the keypad? Any leds lit?
    Did your wife hit the main panel or the keypad?
    You could check the four connections into the keypad if thats what was hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭hedges

altor wrote: »
    It sounds like the alarm is eng locked as you cant default the alarm. There are four fuses on the board, one of these could be blown. Regarding defaulting the panel, there is a way if it is eng locked depending on how old the alarm is. How long have you the alarm installed ?

Altor
    Had a look at the fuses and they sem fine, The alarm is about seven years old

Koolkid
    Sorry, it was the keypad that was hit. I should have said that. The display remains clear. there is power and the leds are lit, Ive checked the wire in the back and there are fine

Altor
    The alarm is about seven years old

You can replace the chips on the board to default the panel as it is eng locked.
    I would say the keypad on the alarm is faulty, you could take the keypad off the wall and wire it directly into the panel on a small length of cable to eliminate a cable problem.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The fact that the keypad is blank after it was hit rules out a cable problem. I would be confident a new keypad will solve your problem. Who installed the system? . I may be able to get engineer code for you..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dan_

koolkid wrote: »
    The fact that the keypad is blank after it was hit rules out a cable problem. I would be confident a new keypad will solve your problem. Who installed the system? . I may be able to get engineer code for you..

Some of the early HKC panels developed com's faults...a new keypad should solve your problem.

Dan_ wrote: »
    Some of the early HKC panels developed com's faults...a new keypad should solve your problem.

This is true but i would try down power and power back up the alarm before buying a new keypad for the alarm..

Worth a try but the actions of his Mrs make it unlikely to be the Comms fault Dan is talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dan_

True, if it turns out to be the keypad i would recommend replacing the panel as well, for the price of the keypad alone, 80ish, you would be better spending the other 40 and get both, then you have another 2 zones to split up your system... just a thought:)

Good point. Providing the OP is comfortable with the work involved.
    Then again for that money replace with a SigNet 100 & get a much more up to date system .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I wouldn't replace it with the same HKC panel, they are out of date now and are near the end of their time. As Koolkid said, if you're going to replace it replace it with a modern panel.

Thanks all for the advice

Just few more questions if I may

Firstly, I forgot to mention, when I cut the power and the battery to the panel and then turn it back on, the bells start to ring, internal and external. Not sure if that was important information, but probable should have said it. If I had the correct engineer code would that be accepted by the panel, even if it was blank? Is it supposed to go blank when its engineer locked?

Secondly, I’m not an expert and don’t have alot of experience with installing of fixing alarms, if a end up getting a new keypad is it simply pull the four wire from the old and connect to the new, or is it, as I’m thinking, need to be programmed. And upgrading the keypad how to I ensure that it’s compatible with the panel, or are most keypad common to panels.

Thank again
    Hedges

Thanks all for the advice

Just few more questions if I may

Firstly, I forgot to mention, when I cut the power and the battery to the panel and then turn it back on, the bells start to ring, internal and external. Not sure if that was important information, but probable should have said it. If I had the correct engineer code would that be accepted by the panel, even if it was blank? Is it supposed to go blank when its engineer locked?

It will do that as the panel goes into alarm and needs to be unset by your user code after you power the alarm back up. The screen on your keypad is gone faulty so replacing the keypad should fix the problem.
    Secondly, I’m not an expert and don’t have alot of experience with installing of fixing alarms, if a end up getting a new keypad is it simply pull the four wire from the old and connect to the new, or is it, as I’m thinking, need to be programmed. And upgrading the keypad how to I ensure that it’s compatible with the panel, or are most keypad common to panels.

Thank again
    Hedges

The HKC system only have one type of keypad that you can buy so it will be compatible with your alarm. The alarm is already programmed so replacing the keypad is only a mater of changing the wires as you said, just note where 1-4 go into the new keypad from the old one and dont touch the wires off each other as there is a fuse relating to the keypad power that could blow in the panel.

Any problems let me know..

Thanks all

Thanks for the help lads

Ive order a new keypad, should have it the weekend

Ill let yous know how it goes

Thanks again

Hedges

Good luck with that hedges. hope thats all it is..
    Any probs give us a shout.

Right Lads,

Im back looking for more help

I got a new keypad and fitted same

No problems there

Once the power was turned back on, the alarm bells activated inside and out. I entered my code and that shut the bells up.

Now here's the problem...

The light for showing a fault is lit, and when I enter my code I get the following message:
    "Comms Fault" "Panel cannot set " "Contact Engineer"

As you have guessed I can’t set the alarm now.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to what I can do next (If Anything) would be welcome

Thanks

Hedges

Did you disconnect anything else when trying to fix this?
    Do you have engineer access?

Koolkid

I took out the fuse on the mains, when i cut the power, as a precaution and disconected that battery, that's about it.

Dont have the engineer code, sorry

Hedges

If you try & set the system does the keypad respond?
    If so is comms fault the only message that displays?
    If so double check your key pad connections (especially terminal 3 & 4)
    Check against the keypad terminals in the panel ensuring that you have not reversed 3 & 4 (usually blue & yellow)

If you try & set the system does the keypad respond?
    If so is comms fault the only message that displays?
    If so double check your key pad connections (especially terminal 3 & 4)
    Check against the keypad terminals in the panel ensuring that you have not reversed 3 & 4 (usually blue & yellow)

Sorry Koolkid,
    Back again

The keypad responds when I try to set the panal
    The message the panal gives when I try to set is as follows "Comms Fault" "Panel cannot set " "Contact Engineer"
    Ive checkd the wires and they all seem to be wired correctly

Any advise

Hedges

• Advertisement

OK so the keypad is working.
    Is anything else disconnected?
    Do you have engineer access?

Nothing else disconnected, that Im aware of
    No access to engineer code, tried the usual defaults and no luck

Do you have any point ID sensors on this system?
    Can you fully browse the user menu?

Do you have any point ID sensors on this system?
    Can you fully browse the user menu?

Sorry,
    dont know what a point ID sensors is

and all that comes up on the keypad is the same message when i put in the code

Previousally dis you have access to the user menu?
    When it was working & you entered your code did the system are straight away? or did it enter the user menu?

Yep, I had access to the user menu, could look up alarm activations etc on it.

Ok so we need to backtrack a bit.
    Have you connected the keypad directly into the panel on a short lenght of cable?

Nope

I know I shouldn't have, but I asumed it was just the keypad at fault and not the wires

Nedd to eliminate as much as possible.
    Bring the keypad upto the panel & wire in on a short lenght of cable..
    Do you know anyone else with a HKC system? It would help to be able to verify the keypad is good.

• Advertisement

Give me a bit of time and i'll rewire the keypad back on a short wire.

Keypad is new and should be working fully

Advertisement