Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Effect of Steroids on Sperm

• 09-01-2010 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

Don’t really know what the hell im talking about here but,
    could the use of Steroids (in the 1970s)(the type used to increase Strength and Muscles) have a short or Long term effect on a mans ability to reproduce a healthy sperm cells? Is there a possibility it would perhaps retardate sperm cells?

I know it’s a strange and specific question.

Any replies welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

Not too sure what you're driving at by 'retardate' sperm cells here.
    Do you mean give rise to abnormally shaped sperm, or slow moving/swimming sperm? Or to genetically abnormal sperm which may give rise to a child with a physical or mental health issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Sorry, you,ll have to forgive me.
    I was wondering if it would lead to a child with physical or mental health issues.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

you'd have to know if the steroid in question would give rise to a mutation in the DNA held in the sperm. the DNA is about all you get and keep from the sperm, from the motehr you get both DNA and your mitochondria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

pipelaser wrote: »
    Sorry, you,ll have to forgive me.
    I was wondering if it would lead to a child with physical or mental health issues.
    most bodybuilders if they are starting out use testosterone to increase their anabolic capacity, they also use several estrogen blockers, but in truth neither have the ability to basically change their own DNA (the only way to change how their sperm cells are designed) so no you wont have abnormal babies if you mate with a man who uses additional testosterone, provided his genes are all good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 johnlo

Well your balls shrink, in a way it should decrease your sperm count..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

johnlo wrote: »
    Well your balls shrink, in a way it should decrease your sperm count..

It may reduce your sperm count, but that doesn't alter the genetic structure of the sperm. Just lowers your chances of impregnating a woman.

Advertisement