Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Installing XP on a Dell machine - SATA Driver error

• 09-01-2010 7:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭

Following on from this thread, and some googling, I discovered that XP doesn't have RAID Drivers to manage SATA HDDs on installation! :(

So, I need to install the drivers RAID driver at the same time as installation of XP and was just wondering if any members here actually managed this?

I tried using nLite, got the drivers from the Dell website and made an ISO of XP but it wouldn't work. And I desperately want to go back to XP!

Any suggestions? Help? Words of opinion?

Dell service tag on the machine is 319QK2J. Don't have a floppy drive so was hoping to use the nLite route. It's just the Intel - Driver matrix storage manager that I need, right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Ideo wrote: »
    Following on from this thread, and some googling, I discovered that XP doesn't have RAID Drivers to manage SATA HDDs on installation! :(

So, I need to install the drivers RAID driver at the same time as installation of XP and was just wondering if any members here actually managed this?

I tried using nLite, got the drivers from the Dell website and made an ISO of XP but it wouldn't work. And I desperately want to go back to XP!

Any suggestions? Help? Words of opinion?

Dell service tag on the machine is 319QK2J. Don't have a floppy drive so was hoping to use the nLite route. It's just the Intel - Driver matrix storage manager that I need, right?

didnt have time to open the links you posted man but usual procedure is to press F6 at the beginning of XP install, it prompts you to install third party scsi or raid drivers and then put in your disk - can you get your hands on an external floppy drive maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

Did manage to do it few years back, but only because I had usb floppy drive at hand...

* 38eur on komplett :mad:
    * bit better from H Kong... free shipping + good exchange rates http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.23557

nlite is supercool, only used it a bit, good luck if you decide to go that route.

<edit> even better if you are not in a mad rush http://cgi.ebay.ie/USB-2-0-Portabel-External-Diskette-Floppy-Drive-for-PC_W0QQitemZ350292005580QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_HardDrives_RL?hash=item518f07d2cc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

as mentioned easiest way to do so is using a floppy containing the drivers,
    2nd easiest is to slipstream the drivers using nlite. I have done so lots of times. Should be fairly straight forward tbh.
    When you got the drivers from the Dell website did you slipstream the INF files?
    I would get the driver from the website of the hard drive manufacturer. IE Seagate, maxtor or whoever. Stick with it.

What dell machine is it?

On another note if you really cant get over this issue some bios will let you change hard drive mode from sata to IDE mode to overcome this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

...any members here actually managed this?

I did, last week-end as it happens: :)

[1] Download the full version of Service Pack 3 for XP - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en and save it to the root of your C:\ drive

[2] Download \ Install nLite.

[3] Create a folder on the root of your C:\ drive and copy the entire contents of your XP disc over to that same folder. Before doing so in Windows Explorer select "View Hidden Files" - this is to ensure that you don't miss any hidden files that may be on your XP disc.

[4] I have attached to this post the generic Intel drivers referenced on the nLite site. Extract these files to somewhere easy to find - another folder on the root of your C:\ drive for example. :)

[5] Fire up nLite and point it at the folder containg the copy of your XP disc.
    On the "Task Selection" screen select "Service Pack", "Drivers", and "Bootable ISO" and then work your way throught the rest of the Wizard.

If all goes to plan you should end up with a an *.ISO of around 660 MB that you can burn to a CD-R which will include the necessary drivers as well as Service Pack 3 and a new era of installing XP will be opened up to you.

My own reason for making an nLite copy of XP was because the XP image disc that came supplied with my Toshiba laptop was loaded with all sorts of crap that I didn't want fouling up my machine.

As I said in part [4] above I used the Generic Intel drivers mentioned on the nLIte site and they seemed to work OK.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,

The Thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemort

Looking at your service Tag on Dells Site you dont have RAID. You need to change the sata mode to AHCI mode in the BIOS for the installation of XP then once loaded with all the chip set and all dell drivers change it back (Or leave it still runs fine)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

@ The_Thing, thanks a mill for your post, will look at it in detail now.

@ Shanemort, are you sure? When I go into BIOS it's telling me RAID is on and when I turn it off the computer won't boot!

Advertisement