Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KingLear*

Options
  • 09-01-2010 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Can anybody actually tell me what its about? I know he divides his land using a love test?:confused: But other than that i know ZILCH! Plot, Sub-Plot? WHAT? I dont understand it at all, does anyone care to shed some light on the situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Type King Lear into google or spark notes,probably better than what i can tell you, it will give a full analysis and won't leave anything out. Have you not done it in school yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭SnowPretzel

Go watch it on youtube.Some user named Irelandspatriot or something like that uploaded a pretty good version of it. Really clarified the plot for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

This might be long........
    Two plots with a common theme, betrayal of children and inheritance.

1st plot- Lear and his 3 daughters, Kingdom divided on the basis of the love test, one daughter fails to flatter her love upon Lear and he disowns her. We later discover that lears daughters falsly flattered him and they treat him very badly. They insult him alot by their actions and as a result Lear goes insane. He gains 'reason in madness' and realises he neglected his people when he was king. When lear finally does come to his senses it is too late and his story ends in tragedy.

2nd plot- Gloucester and his sons, one son in illegitimate and cannot inherit from gloucester. However he is unhappy about and lies to his father in order to disinherit his brother. Gloucester is also subuected to horriffic treatment by lears 2 daughters which causes him to make foolish decisions. Similarly , this plot ends in tragedy.
    King lear is a tragedy and thers lots more but I shoudnt give away too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Can anyone post any decent quotes to use for King Lear?

I haven't learned any and I really should but I'm too lazy to look through the play and find them.

The only one I properly know is ''I did her wrong''

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

King Lear... more like king queer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

They ALL die.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

"I love thee more than words can weild the matter"
    "The king will take it ill"
    Lear refers to goneril and regan as "pelican daughters"
    If I think of more i'll post them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

yenoBAYUB wrote: »
    Can anybody actually tell me what its about? I know he divides his land using a love test?:confused: But other than that i know ZILCH! Plot, Sub-Plot? WHAT? I dont understand it at all, does anyone care to shed some light on the situation?

Google is your friend, as is your teacher and um, yeah, em, the textbook:rolleyes:

Advertisement