Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back Boiler Problems

• 09-01-2010 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi

We recently moved into a new house that has an oil back burner. When we light the fire it heats the upstairs tank providing hot water. It also heats all of the upstairs rads.

The problem is that it doesnt seem to be heating the downstairs rads. I was wondering if anybody would have a solution to this problem. I dont want to be lighting the fire if it going to cause more damage than good.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

check for a circulating pump.is it switched on?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kingofthekop

meercat wrote: »
    check for a circulating pump.is it switched on?

What does it look like and where would it be?

Sorry if that sounds stupid but i really dont have a clue :confused:

possibly beside fireplace.might be behind hollow plasterboard and unseen.switch usually accessible though.maybe beside nearest socket.

possibly beside fireplace.might be behind hollow plasterboard and unseen.switch usually accessible though.maybe beside nearest socket.

Found a switch next to the fireplace like a light switch. its pushed down (which I assume is on ) and it cant be pushed the other way???

thats most likely it.is the fire lighting.can you hear pump running.it might be stuck if it hasnt run in a while .is there access to the pump.

• Advertisement

thats most likely it.is the fire lighting.can you hear pump running.it might be stuck if it hasnt run in a while .is there access to the pump.

I can see a red box which i assume is the pump?

any heat downstairs.can you hear the pump running.is this red box connected to pipes

any heat downstairs.can you hear the pump running.is this red box connected to pipes

Yes Id say its the pump. no noise coming from it

maybe jammed if it hasnt run in a while .tap it lightly with hammer.if its powered up it might run.if you can see centre screw try to un screw it and stick screwdriver in to feel resistance

maybe jammed if it hasnt run in a while .tap it lightly with hammer.if its powered up it might run.if you can see centre screw try to un screw it and stick screwdriver in to feel resistance

The centre screw is up against the wall and is impossible to get at. It looks like somebody already tried and broke the nut. The landlord said that the fire was only lit a couple of times b4 we moved in. looks like he will be getting a plumbers bill. Id say that pump was never service and whoever installed it didnt make it easy to get at

• Advertisement

best to get it checked so.good luck

best to get it checked so.good luck

Thanks for your help

Advertisement