Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet hard to flush

• 09-01-2010 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭

I have to flush the toilet a few times before it actually flushes, any idea what might be causing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sarachryan

irishguy wrote: »
    I have to flush the toilet a few times before it actually flushes, any idea what might be causing it?

This happened me this morning. Then I ran out of water. :(
    Hope it's not the same for you

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

I had mine repaired before christmas. Same , same. A few flushes before it would flush.

It is the main plastic thing ( not the ballcock)that needs replacing but the name slips me at the minute. Sounds like cistern (but its not!) or something all that line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

jamegg wrote: »
    I had mine repaired before christmas. Same , same. A few flushes before it would flush.

It is the main plastic thing ( not the ballcock)that needs replacing but the name slips me at the minute. Sounds like cistern (but its not!) or something all that line

syphon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭irishguy

Davy wrote: »
    syphon :D

So are these pretty standard?? Its a shires toilet about 10 years old.

Main thing is if its internal or external. Does you cistern have an overflow pipe leaving it? A white pipe leaving the side of it at the top going outside?

You will have to take the cistern off to replace the syphon.

• Advertisement

Main thing is if its internal or external. Does you cistern have an overflow pipe leaving it? A white pipe leaving the side of it at the top going outside?

Yes it does
    You will have to take the cistern off to replace the syphon.

Ya I was thinking that, but I assume there are different sizes/shapes. No ?

Their is slight variants yes, but most are universal. If your having any doubts, just bring it with you to the suppliers with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

It sounds like the syphon or the diaphrame flap. Both are buyable as spares provided the toilet is a standard make. Replacing the diaphragm is easier and cheaper for a DIYER.

ps I wonder if the lever arm has just bent slightly meaning you have to force the leaver down more....

Their is slight variants yes, but most are universal. If your having any doubts, just bring it with you to the suppliers with you.

Ya I might have to do that
    ps I wonder if the lever arm has just bent slightly meaning you have to force the leaver down more....

Had a look at that too and it seems to be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

Rather than start a new toilet thread I hope it is ok to post my problem here. I hope the OP is sorted after not posting back in a good few days.

Anyway, I just had my syphon replaced in november and I am only copping on now in the last week that the toilet constantly has a trickle running down the inside back of the bowl.

Then I realised the pump seems to be not turning off after flushing the toilet so basicly the pump stayed running all day as it was feeding the toilet the trickle was letting out.

So just now I took off the top of the toilet and found that the ballcock was coming up with the water rising after a flush but the arm is getting stuck under the cap of the syphon. I freed the am and obviously the water stopped coming to the toilet and the pump went off.....but......when I flushed the arm was stuck on top of the syphon cap and couldnt go down with the water to tell the toilet it needs to be filled back up!!

So my syphon is too big for my toilet?? can i take the cap off? get plumber back out?

cheers

jamegg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

jamegg wrote: »
    Rather than start a new toilet thread I hope it is ok to post my problem here. I hope the OP is sorted after not posting back in a good few days.

Anyway, I just had my syphon replaced in november and I am only copping on now in the last week that the toilet constantly has a trickle running down the inside back of the bowl.

Then I realised the pump seems to be not turning off after flushing the toilet so basicly the pump stayed running all day as it was feeding the toilet the trickle was letting out.

So just now I took off the top of the toilet and found that the ballcock was coming up with the water rising after a flush but the arm is getting stuck under the cap of the syphon. I freed the am and obviously the water stopped coming to the toilet and the pump went off.....but......when I flushed the arm was stuck on top of the syphon cap and couldnt go down with the water to tell the toilet it needs to be filled back up!!

So my syphon is too big for my toilet?? can i take the cap off? get plumber back out?

cheers

jamegg

You need to get the plumber back. You cannot take that cap off. What is wrong is the plumber needs to change the ball arm for a smaller filling arm. He should have checked this before he left. There might be the posability of adjusting the arm slightly but you need the plumber to asses this. Dont know where your living but PM me if your have trouble and I will pm you a couple of simple instructions to sort it.

Advertisement